Auditing Classes in UG

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Fish127

Auditing Classes in UG

Postby Fish127 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:59 am

This is probably a redundant question, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I've been wanting to learn a second language lately, and I decided on Chinese Mandarin because that and some kind of business degree would pretty much guarantee me a job if plans with law school fall through. Plus I'm sure it can't hurt my career as a lawyer either. I plan on taking the classes at my college, but I have a bad history with foreign languages, so if I do poorly I don't want it to negatively affect my GPA. I planned on auditing the class, but from what I understand that will still show up on your transcript.

My main question was, would law schools look negatively on this for any reason? Also this probably isn't the place to ask, but as long as I'm asking the first question, do you get a grade on your transcript with AUD next to it, or does it simply say AUD in lieu of a grade?

txdude45

Re: Auditing Classes in UG

Postby txdude45 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:18 am

Fish127 wrote:This is probably a redundant question, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I've been wanting to learn a second language lately, and I decided on Chinese Mandarin because that and some kind of business degree would pretty much guarantee me a job if plans with law school fall through. Plus I'm sure it can't hurt my career as a lawyer either. I plan on taking the classes at my college, but I have a bad history with foreign languages, so if I do poorly I don't want it to negatively affect my GPA. I planned on auditing the class, but from what I understand that will still show up on your transcript.

My main question was, would law schools look negatively on this for any reason? Also this probably isn't the place to ask, but as long as I'm asking the first question, do you get a grade on your transcript with AUD next to it, or does it simply say AUD in lieu of a grade?

Are you applying to, or in law school?

If you're in law school, ignore me. If you're applying, you'd have to look up your schools auditing policies to know for sure. Fromt he audit experiences I've seen, the "grade" goes in as an audit and it has no effect on GPA.

That being said, that you have a checkered past with foreign languages doesn't bode well for a study of Chinese, especially if you want to be good at it. Its probably the hardest language you can learn. First off, its all symbols. You have to memorize hundreds of characters if you want to just be as literate as a 5 year-old. Secondly, it will almost definitely pull your GPA down, unless you only work on it in your spare time, which means you wont actually learn it and you'll piss off everyone in the class who is taking it for a grade.

Chinese is great, but don't take it in school unless you're going to take it for a grade.

Fish127

Postby Fish127 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:18 am

Well I had trouble in high school with Spanish due to several factors. I hated the teacher and she me, I didn't give a shit about my grades and put no effort in, and I had mild dyslexia. The first two obviously aren't a concern anymore, and from what I understand Dyslexia doesn't hold you back with Mandarin as much as it does with other languages, due to the nature of the words being symbol, rather than letter based. I'm sure it won't be easy, hence why I was looking to audit the class rather than taking it and having it affect my GPA. My concern is more that law schools might look unfavorably at an audited class on my transcript for whatever reason.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Fish127 wrote: My concern is more that law schools might look unfavorably at an audited class on my transcript for whatever reason.

If that's your concern, then don't be concerned anymore.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:58 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
Fish127 wrote: My concern is more that law schools might look unfavorably at an audited class on my transcript for whatever reason.

But why audit something as hard as chinese? You're either going to not keep up with the work at a level conducive to gaining traction in the language, or your actual grades will suffer because of the time you devote to it.

Plus, depending on how many semesters you have left in UG, you may not even have enough time to get a real grasp of the language no matter how hard you work. It takes years of intense study to be able to have a real conversation in chinese and even more to be able to do business.

Fish127

Postby Fish127 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:28 pm

txdude45 wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:

But why audit something as hard as chinese? You're either going to not keep up with the work at a level conducive to gaining traction in the language, or your actual grades will suffer because of the time you devote to it.

My grades will be fine. I'm not an idiot, and I know how to manage my time. If I only wind up having enough time to focus on my main course load, then I'm not going to neglect them to pursue my audited Mandarin class. And while I very well may be able to get A's in Chinese, I'm not going to risk my GPA on that until I'm sure I can do well. Hence I plan on auditing the first class.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:07 pm

I think it's a good idea. Kudos.

Return to “Law School FAQ”