Practicing Law Abroad After US Law School Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TopLawHopeful

New

Practicing Law Abroad After US Law School

Post by TopLawHopeful » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:02 am

Hi guys,

I'm an undergraduate student in the United States, and I am looking to go to law school immediately after I graduate.

My ultimate goal is to work as a lawyer in Australia, preferably in a major city like Sydney or Melbourne. I do not have Australian citizenship, nor do I have any professional connections there. (I studied abroad there for a semester, and I really fell in love with it.)

Is it feasible to start a career in the Australian legal industry after getting a US JD from a top-tier school? Or should I apply directly to top Australian law schools, such as UMelbourne (whose program happens to be ABA-approved), in order to have a fighting chance? What can I do to make myself more competitive? Should I do a study abroad in law school? Really, if anyone has any comments that are relevant to this matter, I'd love to hear them. :)

Thanks!

DougieFresh

New

Re: Practicing Law Abroad After US Law School

Post by DougieFresh » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:40 pm

Why don't you take some time off after undergrad and move to Australia? Many people fall in love with countries they visit on study abroad, new friends, new culture, new foods, parties, road trips, a big vacation. Working in a place is quite different. Also, if you've never been abroad for an extended period of time, you should try that out. 3 months is quite different from a year or two years or a life time.

Don't rush your way into law school. Once you have $200,000 in debt it's pretty hard to go on around the world vacations.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Go to law school in Australia. It makes the immigration process easier

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:16 pm

guano wrote:Go to law school in Australia. It makes the immigration process easier

Great Advice. why go to law in USA if you want to practice in Australia ?

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:22 pm

indo wrote:
guano wrote:Go to law school in Australia. It makes the immigration process easier

The real point I wanted to make us that Australian immigration policies are fucking tough, but the requirements are significantly lower for people who study there

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:29 pm

guano wrote:
indo wrote:

The real point I wanted to make us that Australian immigration policies are fucking tough, but the requirements are significantly lower for people who study there
This is very solid advice. OP can't just move to Australia. Like foreign nationls entering the US, OP can go to Australia as a student; but OP can't immigrate to Australia without complying with their strict laws. I have no clue whether OP will actually be able to work as a lawyer in Australia as a US citizen.

TopLawHopeful

New

Post by TopLawHopeful » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:51 pm

The problem is that the cost of law school in Australia for international students is obscenely high (often upwards of 120k/yr.) I would have to take on an extra 100k+ in debt. :\ And with the not-so-great legal job market in Australia, there's a good chance that I'd never be able to pay it back.

And yeah, I acknowledge that immigration standards for those looking to live in Australia are very restrictive. This unfortunately makes the predicament I'm facing ever the more challenging.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:54 am

Given the international tuition at Sydney/Melbourne and the starting salaries in Australia (not to mention the difficulties of the immigration process), going to law school in Australia would be a catastrophic mistake. Study hard for the LSAT, get a scholarship from NYU, and consider the Melbourne-NYU dual JD. Otherwise, consider working as a lawyer in the US for a few years to see if you can find an opportunity to move.

ETA: OP, I am not sure what you mean when you say Melbourne is ABA-approved. That does not sound right. I could be wrong, but I think you need to do more research on this.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:05 am

banjo wrote:ETA: OP, I am not sure what you mean when you say Melbourne is ABA-approved. That does not sound right. I could be wrong, but I think you need to do more research on this.
I'm pretty sure it is wrong because the ABA doesn't (currently) accredit foreign institutions, though they are considering doing so in the future.
It is LSAC approved, which is not the same thing

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:33 am

Is Australia immigration really that tough? I know it's not super easy but compared to places like Japan and Europe it seems relatively lenient in admitting immigrants. They still have the point system, no?

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:36 am

As a general rule, I think law is a really poor field for anyone wishing to live abroad. Something high tech or a top MBA seems more practical.

TopLawHopeful

New

Post by TopLawHopeful » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:45 pm

Mick Haller wrote:As a general rule, I think law is a really poor field for anyone wishing to live abroad. Something high tech or a top MBA seems more practical.
Yeah, I'm coming to realize that. :\ Thank you!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:59 pm

Mick Haller wrote:Is Australia immigration really that tough? I know it's not super easy but compared to places like Japan and Europe it seems relatively lenient in admitting immigrants. They still have the point system, no?
It's harder than the US

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

partypajamas

New

Post by partypajamas » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:40 pm

are other countries really that hard? im looking at scandinavian countries and germany....

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:48 pm

partypajamas wrote:are other countries really that hard? im looking at scandinavian countries and germany....
Every country is different. Some are harder, some easier. Do some research

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”