Should I attempt to live in multiple places during the term? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ghostowl

New

Should I attempt to live in multiple places during the term?

Post by ghostowl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:25 am

So 1L is about to start for me soon like everyone else, and I am in need of advice. My friend says his roommate will be out for 2 months, so he needs someone to be his roommate for August and September(Rent will be very cheap, $300 a month for a place that costs 700/800 a month with roommate) but his roommate will come back after that. The place is 15 min car ride away from the school I'll be attending. My grandparents live in a elderly housing nearby the school as well, which I can live for free(and food as well), but it seems like visitors can only live there up to a month.

So I was thinking about living with my friend in someone else's room for August / September, then living with my grandparents for October while I look for my own place, and then start living in my own place with a roommate for November and so forth.

Do you guys recommend me to not do this? Would the first semester of 1L be too hectic for me to do some apartment searching during October? It could potentially save me nearly two grand. What do you guys think?

SemperLegal

Silver

Re: Should I attempt to live in multiple places during the term?

Post by SemperLegal » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:27 am

ghostowl wrote:So 1L is about to start for me soon like everyone else, and I am in need of advice. My friend says his roommate will be out for 2 months, so he needs someone to be his roommate for August and September(Rent will be very cheap, $300 a month for a place that costs 700/800 a month with roommate) but his roommate will come back after that. The place is 15 min car ride away from the school I'll be attending. My grandparents live in a elderly housing nearby the school as well, which I can live for free(and food as well), but it seems like visitors can only live there up to a month.

So I was thinking about living with my friend in someone else's room for August / September, then living with my grandparents for October while I look for my own place, and then start living in my own place with a roommate for November and so forth.

Do you guys recommend me to not do this? Would the first semester of 1L be too hectic for me to do some apartment searching during October? It could potentially save me nearly two grand. What do you guys think?
Shouldn't be a problem. October is a fairly chill month. You kind of know what you are doing (i.e. you stopped briefing) and its to early to outline.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:39 am

This may actually be of benefit to you as a renter. Depending on how college-ish your city is rental prices will go way down during the fall. Where I live it is literally a 25% difference between signing in early August and signing in September/October.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:22 am

It may be more difficult to find a roommate in the middle of a semester, but aside from the general inconvenience of moving, it's doable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”