Defer from CCN to work for two years or no? Withdraw?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
Kind of Blue
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Defer from CCN to work for two years or no? Withdraw?

Postby Kind of Blue » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:26 am

Facing a dilemma here and looking for advice.

I was accepted ED to CCN in December as a non-URM, with an LSAT/GPA combo at around the school's 25th percentiles, and some strong softs. I've been offered a 2-year position as a litigation assistant at a prestigious PI organization in the field that I want to work in after I graduate from LS and I'm wondering whether I should accept it or not.

Some factors to consider: I'm paying sticker at my school, but have parents covering COL. If I defer, I might retake the LSAT in October or December (I've only taken it once), and reapply for schools in 2014 to try and get merit aid. Really don't want to attend a lower ranked school than the one I'm currently at, and am really worried that my current school will ding me if I reapply after withdrawing from the class of 2017. Another factor is my SO will be on the east coast, starting medical school, and this job would be on the west coast.

Any thoughts? Not sure it makes a difference, but I'm one year out of UG and went to a top LA college (i.e. williams, amherst, swarthmore) with a 3.6-3.65 GPA. First LSAT was 170, but I'm confident I could score higher, as I studied for and took the test abroad. Would HYS be a possibility with this type of work experience and an LSAT jump to the mid-170s? Would more money at CCN be a possibility, or would my GPA prevent me from being considered for serious $$ at these schools? I would retake, but I'm not sure that my outcome would realistically be improved at all. Do I stand a significant risk of being dinged from my current school if I end up giving up my spot and reapplying? Aside from the cost, I am totally stoked about the school that I've been accepted to. Will this type of job help me get prestigious PI work right out of law school?

Thanks in advance for any advice that you might have.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Defer from CCN to work for two years or no? Withdraw?

Postby sinfiery » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:30 am

Y isn't going to happen. S maybe but very unlikely. A 173+ gives you a chance at H but not a great one with your GPA. (though your UG + WE + 176+ will give you a chance)

CCN will throw you a substantial amount of money with a 172+ and if you think you can hit that, I would definitely take the job and not defer but reapply.


As for your SO, only you can make that call. CCN at sticker in your situation is a bad financial situation because you will potentialy get more scholarship $, more savings, and more compelling of a resume for OCI if you take the job but CCN is not inherently a bad call at sticker.

User avatar
Kind of Blue
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: Defer from CCN to work for two years or no? Withdraw?

Postby Kind of Blue » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:04 pm

sinfiery wrote:Y isn't going to happen. S maybe but very unlikely. A 173+ gives you a chance at H but not a great one with your GPA. (though your UG + WE + 176+ will give you a chance)

CCN will throw you a substantial amount of money with a 172+ and if you think you can hit that, I would definitely take the job and not defer but reapply.


As for your SO, only you can make that call. CCN at sticker in your situation is a bad financial situation because you will potentialy get more scholarship $, more savings, and more compelling of a resume for OCI if you take the job but CCN is not inherently a bad call at sticker.


Thanks for the input. The SO obviously makes things difficult, as we've been together about 2.5 years. If I take the job, I will almost certainly defer, not withdraw, the first year. I think it would be too risky to withdraw before knowing if my LSAT score will actually improve. If it goes well, I would withdraw after my first year, reapply the second.

Anyone else care to weigh in? To put the question another way - is the added work experience and opportunity to retake the LSAT worth putting off law school at a T6 school for two years and running the risk of not being reaccepted at my current school? Really appreciate anyone else's thoughts.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Defer from CCN to work for two years or no? Withdraw?

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:52 pm

sinfiery wrote:CCN will throw you a substantial amount of money with a 172+ and if you think you can hit that, I would definitely take the job and not defer but reapply.


Why do you think this? I got an ok amount of need-based money from CLS with a 3.65/173 (from a similar caliber UG), but not much from NYU and was waitlisted at Chicago. I doubt I would've gotten much of anything had my parents made more money.

The WE sounds pretty sweet and will definitely help you out come graduation--and honestly, I'd probably encourage you to do it just to get more experience in the field and make sure you want to the whole LS thing--but unfortunately money seems to follow the numbers and the need.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Defer from CCN to work for two years or no? Withdraw?

Postby sinfiery » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:00 pm

You got 85k...that is a ton of money for CLS/NYU. If UChi didn't WL you, I would not be surprised if you got 100k+

As for it being need based, I still only believe HYS and part of Berkeley's offer are actually need based.

Odds are if you didn't go to UChi for UG, your CLS offer would be lower.


Even on LSN, average for those numbers for aid is 40k which is decent and softs definitely matter. With that GPA, full rides are out but near half rides is.still worth calling substantial imo.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Defer from CCN to work for two years or no? Withdraw?

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:06 pm

sinfiery wrote:You got 85k...that is a ton of money for CLS/NYU. If UChi didn't WL you, I would not be surprised if you got 100k+

As for it being need based, I still only believe HYS and part of Berkeley's offer are actually need based.

Odds are if you didn't go to UChi for UG, your CLS offer would be lower.

Even on LSN, average for those numbers for aid is 40k which is decent and softs definitely matter. With that GPA, full rides are out but near half rides is.still worth calling substantial imo.


Yea, I didn't mean to make 85k sound insubstantial. I just know others with better #s and less $, and I have pretty substantial need, so I'm skeptical that more than 50-60k or so is in the cards for OP at CCN without an LSAT in the high 170s - unless he/she also has a lot of need. In which case the new Patino full-ride would be a possibility. It's not like 50k is nothing, but, enh. It's better than sticker but only marginally, imho.

Still, I do doubt he'd have a worse cycle in two years, especially with the work experience. I also don't we've reached the bottom in terms of applicant numbers, and that two years from now will be even more favorable to 3.65/17x applicants (maybe even opening up H, though I doubt it without 176-180). Plus it just sounds like an awesome gig that would help his career down the line and be good life experience, but that's my own view on things and not necessarily important here.

I do agree with the bolded. OP's UG helps.

edited for grammar n shit.

User avatar
Kind of Blue
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: Defer from CCN to work for two years or no? Withdraw?

Postby Kind of Blue » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:44 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
sinfiery wrote:You got 85k...that is a ton of money for CLS/NYU. If UChi didn't WL you, I would not be surprised if you got 100k+

As for it being need based, I still only believe HYS and part of Berkeley's offer are actually need based.

Odds are if you didn't go to UChi for UG, your CLS offer would be lower.

Even on LSN, average for those numbers for aid is 40k which is decent and softs definitely matter. With that GPA, full rides are out but near half rides is.still worth calling substantial imo.


Yea, I didn't mean to make 85k sound insubstantial. I just know others with better #s and less $, and I have pretty substantial need, so I'm skeptical that more than 50-60k or so is in the cards for OP at CCN without an LSAT in the high 170s - unless he/she also has a lot of need. In which case the new Patino full-ride would be a possibility. It's not like 50k is nothing, but, enh. It's better than sticker but only marginally, imho.

Still, I do doubt he'd have a worse cycle in two years, especially with the work experience. I also don't we've reached the bottom in terms of applicant numbers, and that two years from now will be even more favorable to 3.65/17x applicants (maybe even opening up H, though I doubt it without 176-180). Plus it just sounds like an awesome gig that would help his career down the line and be good life experience, but that's my own view on things and not necessarily important here.

I do agree with the bolded. OP's UG helps.

edited for grammar n shit.


Thanks for the response. I'm broke as shit, but my parents are relatively well off. Was still expecting some aid, as I have a sibling entering college right now. I thought I heard that parental contribution is cut in half in calculating financial aid at the age of 25. Any idea if this is true?

Also, I was PTing in the 175-177 range for the last few weeks before my test. Unfortunately I came down with a nasty bug while working internationally and was hospitalized for a few days right before my test. Wasn't the best for studying or my confidence, to say the least. Couldn't retake in December because I was travelling in another country. Not confident that I'd score in that range, but I know I have the ability to do so.

Not sure that it matters, but my SO will be attending H for medical school in the fall. If we stay together and get engaged, might that help in gaining admission to HLS?

You don't think CLS would hold it against me if I deferred, withdrew, and reapplied? I feel like they might reserve my ass, even with a 172+.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Defer from CCN to work for two years or no? Withdraw?

Postby sinfiery » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:51 pm

Yeah, the only reason against you taking the job is being apart from your SO.

There is no real data on reapplying after being accepted somewhere but because you have decided to gain WE, I hardly doubt you can't alleviate any concern through your app and will likely be admitted.

User avatar
Kind of Blue
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: Defer from CCN to work for two years or no? Withdraw?

Postby Kind of Blue » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Cool. Thanks again.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin and 2 guests