Questions about actually being a lawyer

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Fish127

Questions about actually being a lawyer

Postby Fish127 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:10 am

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this or not, but I had a few questions about what actually being a lawyer consists of. Assume all of these are referring to a job in biglaw, unless stated otherwise. Thanks in advance.

So my first question is, what does it take to be good at your job? I understand that you have to stand out, and making partner depends mostly on who brings in the most money, which in turn depends on ability to get clients. But how is this accomplished? What does it take to actually get clients? I know that you don't go door to door or anything like that, but I always assumed that clients were assigned to newly minted lawyers at random.

Also what happens if you don't make partner? I've heard that associates that don't make partner by their 7th year are let go, is this true? I've also heard from some people that a lot of the bigger firms have a habit of letting associates go who don't outperform the others after the first year, is this true?

What is day to day life basically like? Answers other than "Dante's fifth circle of Hell" please ;)

Ok last question, and this one may be a bit silly. What does the social scene consist of around the workplace? I don't mean literally in the workplace, but friends and people you meet at work, is there any particular stereotype of what these people are like? For example I'm a nerd who loves anime, and comic books, and video games and stuff like that. Do I have a prayer in Hell of ever actually running into a successful lawyer who likes things like that? And if not, what do most lawyers talk about socially?

Clyde Frog

Re: Questions about actually being a lawyer

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:17 am

Very good questions. I'd like to hear input on these things too. Btw I think everyone likes video games, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. Being a nerd is cool now anyways. You ever watch Big Bang Theory? :D

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:23 am

Clyde Frog wrote:Very good questions. I'd like to hear input on these things too. Btw I think everyone likes video games, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. Being a nerd is cool now anyways. You ever watch Big Bang Theory? :D

(Guy attempting to ruin your career)

Why would you assume lawyers are weird nerds? They are just normal people. You don't want to talk about anime at work or you are done.

Fish127

Postby Fish127 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:38 am

I notice you added the word "weird" in there.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:39 am

Fish127 wrote:I notice you added the word "weird" in there.

nerd=weird or am I wrong?

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:40 am

I'm interested to see whether this thread delves into lawyers and nerds or actually ends up answering OP's questions.

Fish127

Postby Fish127 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:49 am

Tom Joad wrote:
Fish127 wrote:I notice you added the word "weird" in there.

nerd=weird or am I wrong?

Well obviously I'm going to disagree with that since I just identified myself as a nerd earlier. I wouldn't consider myself weird per say. Yes I like anime, and video games, and comic books and such, but I'm also in the top of most of my classes and I've hit the gym enough to scare the shit out of anybody that tries to make me out as some poindexter to my face.

I think what the poster you were responding to meant was that most people view; nerd = geek = brainy = good at school = T14. And jock = party animal = not good at school = Burger King.

I'd like to get away from arguing about stereotypes though. Obviously I'm not going to run into work babbling about anime. The question was more along the lines of trying to figure out what most lawyers talk about. Sports? Outdoors? Family? Movies? Books? etc.
Last edited by Fish127 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:53 am

What T14 school do you go to where the freaks have good grades and the cool people do poorly?

I think general wisdom is that normal, well-rounded, well-spoken people do best grades-wise. Not weirdo anime freaks.

Fish127

Postby Fish127 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:06 am

Tom Joad wrote:What T14 school do you go to where the freaks have good grades and the cool people do poorly?

I think general wisdom is that normal, well-rounded, well-spoken people do best grades-wise. Not weirdo anime freaks.

Why do you keep focusing on the anime thing out of everything in my post? Dividing everybody up into the "cool kids" and "weird nerds" high school shit, stop with the stereotypes. My question is "What are do lawyers talk about?"

And actually, if anything, I would like people to focus on my first two questions more than the last incidental one.

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:42 am

Fish127 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:What T14 school do you go to where the freaks have good grades and the cool people do poorly?

Why do you keep focusing on the anime thing out of everything in my post? Dividing everybody up into the "cool kids" and "weird nerds" high school shit, stop with the stereotypes. My question is "What are do lawyers talk about?"

And actually, if anything, I would like people to focus on my first two questions more than the last incidental one.

Animes pretty cool.

thefuturenow

Postby thefuturenow » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:32 am

Fish127 wrote:

Bro, it depends. Think about it this way--both you and your newly found nemesis may end up being lawyers in the same office.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:01 am

Last edited by Clyde Frog on Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:47 am

Fish127 wrote:So my first question is, what does it take to be good at your job? I understand that you have to stand out, and making partner depends mostly on who brings in the most money, which in turn depends on ability to get clients. But how is this accomplished? What does it take to actually get clients? I know that you don't go door to door or anything like that, but I always assumed that clients were assigned to newly minted lawyers at random.

Not a biglaw person, so take as you like, but: saying that clients are assigned to newly minted lawyers at random is already focusing too late in the process of bringing in clients, if that makes sense. That is, a firm can only assign clients after those clients have been found/acquired - the universe doesn't randomly assign clients to anyone. So the idea is that bringing in business is actually identifying clients out there in the universe who need legal services, and convincing them to hire you/your firm, not waiting to get assigned specific work from specific clients once they've already chosen your firm.

Now, since I'm not a biglaw person I haven't focused on this process at all, so I don't have great information. But my understanding is that getting clients entails things like developing expertise in a specific area of law, getting involved in community events/activities around that area of law, talking to lots of people, and just being generally present in a community such that when someone needs a lawyer they think of you. Joining (active) professional associations related to your area of law, that kind of thing (not bar associations filled with other lawyers).

Throttle

Postby Throttle » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:36 pm

Fish127 wrote:

Why do you keep focusing on the anime thing out of everything in my post? Dividing everybody up into the "cool kids" and "weird nerds" high school shit, stop with the stereotypes. .

From what I've gathered Law School is just like HS. So, yeah, you'll be called a nerd, but the good thing is that there will be atleast 10 people to hang out with you. You know how you guys huddle in the back of the Cafeteria in HS, LS will be the same, but replace Cafe with Library.

Also replace semi hot girl that hangs out with you, to totally ugo.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Throttle wrote:
Fish127 wrote:

Why do you keep focusing on the anime thing out of everything in my post? Dividing everybody up into the "cool kids" and "weird nerds" high school shit, stop with the stereotypes. .

From what I've gathered Law School is just like HS. So, yeah, you'll be called a nerd, but the good thing is that there will be atleast 10 people to hang out with you. You know how you guys huddle in the back of the Cafeteria in HS, LS will be the same, but replace Cafe with Library.

Also, all the jock lawyers have lettermans jackets, and of course there are the goth lawyers....

Throttle

Postby Throttle » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:
Throttle wrote:
Fish127 wrote:

Also, all the jock lawyers have lettermans jackets, and of course there are the goth lawyers....

This is true

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Jeeezus effin christ, 16k+ posts? You know general wisdom places you in the same weirdo freak category, right?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:37 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:

Jeeezus effin christ, 16k+ posts? You know general wisdom places you in the same weirdo freak category, right?

(guy with a weird aspie avatar)

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:53 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
superdingle2000 wrote:

(guy with a weird aspie avatar)

Oh.. uhh, good one. Yeah, memes are weird aspie shit.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

The specifics of being good at your job will vary a little bit by practice area, but the ability to be focused, not lazy, and detail-oriented is pretty much universally required.

People do get asked to leave because the firm model requires fewer and fewer associates as they move up in ranks, but a lot of people leave voluntarily. They go to different firms, or smaller firms, or corporations, or the government - all sorts of places. With a few exceptions (getting Lathamed) you need to have some pretty serious flaws to go from biglaw to totally fucked. That said, pay down those loans, because a lot of your exit options will pay less.

I know some nerdy lawyers in various capacities. They're out there. Just study people as you're getting to know them (or that's what I do anyway lol). You'll meet some people who you find out have your interests, and you'll also make some friends you don't have a lot in common with.

The thing someone as far out from law school as you sound like you are should be considering is not clients and work friendships but whether you want to spend every day performing the tasks a lawyer performs. That's something I think a lot of people don't devote sufficient thought to. There are a few posts around TLS on what people do on a daily basis.

Fish127

Postby Fish127 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:47 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:People do get asked to leave because the firm model requires fewer and fewer associates as they move up in ranks, but a lot of people leave voluntarily. They go to different firms, or smaller firms, or corporations, or the government - all sorts of places. With a few exceptions (getting Lathamed) you need to have some pretty serious flaws to go from biglaw to totally fucked. That said, pay down those loans, because a lot of your exit options will pay less.

Does this really happen after the first year though? Or seven? Or somewhere in between?

Clyde Frog wrote:I think Joad is bleeding out of her a$$ right now, so don't take it personally, fish.

You don't have to be a lawyer to know that. I've been in the real world long enough to know that stereotypes like the ones she's trying to perpetuate aren't true. People get surprised when I tell them I'm into geeky shit, since most of them get shamed by me at the gym every other day. My best friend is an MMA coach and former marine who spends most of his time playing World of Warcraft. The point was really just me trying to figure out what your typical lawyer likes, and listing my own interests as an example.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:57 am

I thought the best lawyers were aspie as fuck?!

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:26 am

ITT kids who were nerds in high school don't wanna hear that they will be nerds at law firms

thefuturenow

Postby thefuturenow » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:37 am

Dr. Dre wrote:I thought the best lawyers were aspie as fuck?!

Toadally dood.

Anyway, nerds are cool. Personally, I'll be hanging out in the library stacks waiting for a lady nerd to take off her hair bun thingy and glasses. I shall be holding a fan.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:45 am

thefuturenow wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:I thought the best lawyers were aspie as fuck?!

Toadally dood.

Anyway, nerds are cool. Personally, I'll be hanging out in the library stacks waiting for a lady nerd to take off her hair bun thingy and glasses. I shall be holding a fan.

I always found the intelligent/weird/geeky type girl way more attractive than the normal/"fun"/ party type of girl.

The former also have better conversations once they feel comfortable with you.

The latter are cliche as fuck and talk about the same crap.

Return to “Law School FAQ”