Why the discrepancy?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
gnomgnomuch

Why the discrepancy?

Postby gnomgnomuch » Fri May 31, 2013 7:41 pm

So from what ive seen on TLS unless your GPA is a 3.7+ (with amazing softs and Lsats and everything else) youre pretty much locked out of HYS. But otherwise a 3.7 GPA is more than good enough to get Columbia and all other T-14's with money no less, as long as you have the Lsat.

From what ive seen as well a 3.8 GPA is really where you get competitve for HYS (though obviously not a lock), while a 3.5 can still get into the other t-14's.

sinfiery

Re: Why the discrepancy?

Postby sinfiery » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:21 am

USNWRs emphasis on Median GPA and LSAT of attending students. Plus GPA floors from HYS that are much higher than the other t14. Why? Who knows.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:52 am

Why would HYS accept low GPAs?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:55 am

Tom Joad wrote:Why would HYS accept low GPAs?

Yeah I fail to see where OP is held up.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:20 am

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:24 am

It's not a discrepancy... A discrepancy would be schools down the rankings with higher standards, this is exactly what you should expect, higher ranked schools having higher standards...

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:30 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:It's not a discrepancy... A discrepancy would be schools down the rankings with higher standards, this is exactly what you should expect, higher ranked schools having higher standards...

Im just wondering why for Columbia the GPA floor is around a 3.4 (with its rank of #4) but YHS (1,2,3) have floors at around 3.7... it seems like a HUGE jump and i cant really find a conclusive reason for WHY that jump of .3 exists... i can certainly validate it, but than again why does columbia (an amazing school, an ivy etc etc) have such a low GPA floor when compared to that of YHS.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:35 am

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:44 am

sublime wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:It's not a discrepancy... A discrepancy would be schools down the rankings with higher standards, this is exactly what you should expect, higher ranked schools having higher standards...

Im just wondering why for Columbia the GPA floor is around a 3.4 (with its rank of #4) but YHS (1,2,3) have floors at around 3.7... it seems like a HUGE jump and i cant really find a conclusive reason for WHY that jump of .3 exists... i can certainly validate it, but than again why does columbia (an amazing school, an ivy etc etc) have such a low GPA floor when compared to that of YHS.

Different schools emphasize different things. Look at Chicago's median GPA compared to Columbia or NYU's, for example. Additionally, HYS are kind of in a completely different territory than CCN or any other school. Don't look at it as 3 vs 4, look at it more as level one and level two.

Ahh okay, thank you =) that clears it up for me, much appreciated!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:04 am

sublime wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:

Different schools emphasize different things. Look at Chicago's median GPA compared to Columbia or NYU's, for example. Additionally, HYS are kind of in a completely different territory than CCN or any other school. Don't look at it as 3 vs 4, look at it more as level one and level two.

Tier 1: HYS
Tier 2: CCNPBVC
TTT: MNDG

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:26 am

Definitely a bigger difference between CCN and PBVC than PBVC and DNM

Gtown is definitely the TTT t14.

Return to “Law School FAQ”