0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kay2016

Silver

Re: 0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall.

Post by kay2016 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:28 am

togepi wrote:I've spent the past few months watching every TV I never had time to watch. Cleared through so many shows in two months. These included: The Wire, The Shield, Justified, Breaking Bad, etc.

The Wire was listed as a recommendation to watch by my law school, so I'm totally prepared.

Also doing a little of this.. Lots of shows I started and then never finished

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Wed May 29, 2013 2:00 am

kayleighcheyenne wrote:
togepi wrote:I've spent the past few months watching every TV I never had time to watch. Cleared through so many shows in two months. These included: The Wire, The Shield, Justified, Breaking Bad, etc.

The Wire was listed as a recommendation to watch by my law school, so I'm totally prepared.

Also doing a little of this.. Lots of shows I started and then never finished
I've pretty much maxed out my TV viewing. I'm about 3/4ths the way through Getting to Maybe. I'll probably just re-read a few of the guides on this site and do LEEWS and spend time with the family and get in shape.

tony2167

Bronze

Post by tony2167 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:25 am

Reading some leisurely books. I've got GTM and will read it at some point before the semester starts as well. Other than that, working a stress-free full time job and involving myself in as much debauchery as possible.

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Wed May 29, 2013 10:33 am

Getting into shape and trying to re-establish a maintainable running habit (aka get up a 6am and go for run.)
Learning other stress release techniques (meditation, etc...)
Read and took notes on GTM. Found super helpful in terms of helping understand what it will actually be like.
Reading and actually doing Delaney's Learning Logical Reasoning. Its basically a guide on how to brief cases. He breaks it down for you in first 2 chapters than the subsequent 4 chapters are cases that you read and brief and then compare to his briefs.
Read all the TLS guides.
Reading lawnerds.com and other random how to do well in law school websites.
Listening to free podcasts on doing well.
Read back through "The elements of style" to brush up on writing technique. Also, "Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace."
Also, trying to get in as much fiction reading as possible (I strongly recommend new Khaled Hosseini book.) And plan to spend some serious time on the beach.
Oh and I work a full time job.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:48 am

I read 0L of a Ride and am currently flipping through GTM... though I am also just catching up on all the television/books I never had time for, quitting my my job in a month or two, and getting ready to move closer to school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:54 am

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bumblebeetuna

New

Post by bumblebeetuna » Wed May 29, 2013 11:38 am

Read GTM a month ago. Nothing law related since. I'll be working part-time, spending time with my fiancee (who will actually be my wife in 3 days), and reading stuff not law related.

But then of course I read this:
CourCour wrote:Getting into shape and trying to re-establish a maintainable running habit (aka get up a 6am and go for run.)
Read and took notes on GTM. Found super helpful in terms of helping understand what it will actually be like.
Reading and actually doing Delaney's Learning Logical Reasoning. Its basically a guide on how to brief cases. He breaks it down for you in first 2 chapters than the subsequent 4 chapters are cases that you read and brief and then compare to his briefs.
Read all the TLS guides.
Read back through "The elements of style" to brush up on writing technique. Also, "Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace."
Also, trying to get in as much fiction reading as possible (I strongly recommend new Khaled Hosseini book.) And plan to spend some serious time on the beach.
And I start feeling a little guilty...oh well.

Kind of Blue

New

Post by Kind of Blue » Wed May 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Selling everything that I own so that I can afford to eat during the school year.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:15 pm

bumblebeetuna wrote:Read GTM a month ago. Nothing law related since. I'll be working part-time, spending time with my fiancee (who will actually be my wife in 3 days), and reading stuff not law related.

But then of course I read this:
CourCour wrote:Getting into shape and trying to re-establish a maintainable running habit (aka get up a 6am and go for run.)
Read all the TLS guides.
And I start feeling a little guilty...oh well.
Congratulations!!! It'll be good to get some quality time in together before the onslaught of school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Wed May 29, 2013 12:16 pm

I've read through the TLS guides. Will probably read GTM. Quitting my job at the beginning of July and will spend the rest of the time road-tripping and crushing beers.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed May 29, 2013 12:26 pm

banjo wrote: Yep. I'm playing through a lot of the games discussed in the CLS applicants thread. Right now I'm taking a break from JRPGs to play Mass Effect. By the way, for those looking for good video games to play, make sure you've done this whole list: --LinkRemoved--

I also plan to listen to a few Yale open courses that I've been meaning to do for a while. Some of them are tangentially related to law, such as "financial markets" taught by Robert Shiller. I'm going to do a history course next.
Sounds like my summer too. That list is pretty frustrating since a lot are PS releases, but it is pretty shameful I haven't played Shadow of the Colossus et al yet.

Currently working on:

-Virtue's Last Reward
-Terraria
-everything from the HIB8

And I guess I'll probably get back into GW2 once I quit my job. Any other MMOers here?

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed May 29, 2013 12:29 pm

I read/am reading the following while working full-time as an assistant at a law firm. The following books are/have been great:

-Atticus Falcon's Planet Law School II
-Delaney's Learning Legal Reasoning
-Delaney's How to Do Your Best on LS Exams
-Burke & Snoe's Property supplement
-Glannon's E&E on Torts
-Blum's E&E on Contracts
-Glannon's E&E on Civ Pro
-Dressler's Understanding Crim Law

I am also taking some time to read some classic and generally outstanding fiction before I get completely overtaken by dull outlines and casebooks. Spending time with family is a good idea, too.

I am trying to decide if I want to invest in LEEWS or not... Any thoughts from those who have used it?

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:52 pm

I did LEEWS first then GTM and have started now with E&Es and hornbooks. LEEWs was a decent introduction and has a couple decent insights but I feel like you could gain most of the knowledge just perusing TLS and success guides. My opinion would be if you don't care about the money buy it but if you are trying to save it probably won't be a big deal not getting it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed May 29, 2013 12:53 pm

I picked up GTM and might finish it by the pool this summer. Hanging out in Vegas for the next six weeks. :mrgreen:

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed May 29, 2013 12:57 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:I did LEEWS first then GTM and have started now with E&Es and hornbooks. LEEWs was a decent introduction and has a couple decent insights but I feel like you could gain most of the knowledge just perusing TLS and success guides. My opinion would be if you don't care about the money buy it but if you are trying to save it probably won't be a big deal not getting it.
Seems reasonable. Thanks!

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed May 29, 2013 12:58 pm

You 0L gunners are making me feel lazy.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:36 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bumblebeetuna

New

Post by bumblebeetuna » Wed May 29, 2013 1:51 pm

magp90 wrote: Congratulations!!! It'll be good to get some quality time in together before the onslaught of school.
Thank you.

And, yeah, so it's okay to not do 0L prep even if you have ambitions to do very well right? Lol.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed May 29, 2013 1:54 pm

GTM and Infinite Jest.

scruffy556

Bronze

Post by scruffy556 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:32 pm

I'm just trying to enjoy as much as I can of the hobbies I won't have time for and more so I won't be able to afford again (at least till law school is over, but probably longer than that)

Kind of a bummer, actually.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed May 29, 2013 3:58 pm

JXander wrote:I read/am reading the following while working full-time as an assistant at a law firm. The following books are/have been great:

-Glannon's E&E on Torts
-Blum's E&E on Contracts
Lol, what a waste of time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Volake

New

Post by Volake » Wed May 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Bronck wrote:
JXander wrote:I read/am reading the following while working full-time as an assistant at a law firm. The following books are/have been great:

-Glannon's E&E on Torts
-Blum's E&E on Contracts
I dunno if I'd call it a waste of time. Although you can certainly do well without doing any substantive prep and in some ways it's inefficient because you don't know what subjects your professors will cover, some exposure to the subjects could definitely give a 1L a leg-up. Besides, supplements often make for rather interesting and entertaining reading.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed May 29, 2013 4:07 pm

Volake wrote:
Bronck wrote:

-Glannon's E&E on Torts
-Blum's E&E on Contracts
I dunno if I'd call it a waste of time. Although you can certainly do well without doing any substantive prep and in some ways it's inefficient because you don't know what subjects your professors will cover, some exposure to the subjects could definitely give a 1L a leg-up. Besides, supplements often make for rather interesting and entertaining reading.
I don't know what universe you're living in, but they really don't.

Volake

New

Post by Volake » Wed May 29, 2013 4:16 pm

Bronck wrote:
Volake wrote:
Bronck wrote:

-Glannon's E&E on Torts
-Blum's E&E on Contracts
I don't know what universe you're living in, but they really don't.
I'm sorry you feel that way about the texts that explain the laws of different areas, the ways to evaluate problems and circumstances brought up in different areas of the law, and the policies different areas of law were designed to promote. I found learning different scholar's perspectives and presentations of the law very satisfying.

I understand how you may not wish to spend your 0L summer doing substantive prep (I didn't), but it makes no sense to characterize another's deciding to do so as a "waste of time."

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Wed May 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Bronck wrote:

-Glannon's E&E on Torts
-Blum's E&E on Contracts
Why do you say that? Do you think I am wasting time in reading all of these or just a few? I am not delving so intensely into these resources so that they occupy my every waking minute; I have been reading through them for no more than an hour over my morning coffee. I certainly do not spend my weekends sheltered in Blum's discussion on promissory estoppel or whatever. Do you think it is a waste of time to even expose oneself to the basics, or do you believe that there are better ways to handle this? Explain.
Volake wrote:it makes no sense to characterize another's deciding to do so as a "waste of time."
At least, not with an explanation that is limited to "lol." :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”