0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lhanvt13

Re: 0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall.

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:56 pm

Also, one off my check-list today:

- learn the cup song

JXander

Postby JXander » Thu May 30, 2013 11:12 pm

I feel like half the 0Ls are just saying they're reading all this to intimidate others and boost their own confidence.

And I am not one of them... :P

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Thu May 30, 2013 11:39 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:I plan on reading all the hornbooks, GTM, LEEWS, All the E&Es, all my readings for the casebooks (my school sends us syllabi early) and if you're not doing the same thing, then you are probably going to be really behind when law school starts.

Wait, are you being sarcastic?

KD35

Postby KD35 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:51 pm

JXander wrote:I feel like half the 0Ls are just saying they're reading all this to intimidate others and boost their own confidence.

And I am not one of them... :P

That'd work if we all were going to the same school and we wanted to intimidate others...but not the case.

Bfalcon

Postby Bfalcon » Thu May 30, 2013 11:57 pm

Sigh, I can't sleep and am TLS, so thought I'd join in.

I plan on doing next to no prep - I'll take a look at the prep advice pages on TLS (haven't done that yet), and from the sounds of it, I may, just may, start this GTM thingamajig.

What I do plan: a shit-ton of lifting, climbing, yoga, volleyball and summer adventures/travel. Gonna be buckling down in the fall, and I've been out of school for a few years now. Might as well enjoy this season of life while I'm still in it.

I will also try and hang out with as many douchebaggy people as I can to accustom myself to the impending shit-show that will be law school.

Or maybe I'll just ditch this whole LS thing and sign up for the 2023 Mars Mission: http://mars-one.com/en/faq-en/21-faq-selection/251-do-i-qualify-to-apply

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Fri May 31, 2013 12:23 am

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
RodneyRuxin wrote:I plan on reading all the hornbooks, GTM, LEEWS, All the E&Es, all my readings for the casebooks (my school sends us syllabi early) and if you're not doing the same thing, then you are probably going to be really behind when law school starts.

Yes, I was.
Let me be for real: learn how to take an exam as a 0L. This gives you a huge advantage and your classmates won't learn until second semester. Do LEEWS, and even if you don't follow their method, do the practice problems at the end of the book. (it provides you an "outline" so you know the law enough to answer the question). This will give you more experience taking exams than anyone else and that's a good thing.

As far as learning everything beforehand, I wouldn't read the E&E's or hornbooks. It might help to listen to the BarBri 1L videos just to get a preliminary sense of the material so it isn't foreign to you. You can download the videos (summaries of the entire class in 3-6 hours) and listen to them from the phone app while you work out/drive/etc.

porch

Postby porch » Fri May 31, 2013 12:32 am

LEEWS, GTM, 8 Secrets, Learning Legal Reasoning, How to do well on Law School Exams.

Just started Learning Legal Reasoning.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri May 31, 2013 12:35 am

Bfalcon wrote:Sigh, I can't sleep and am TLS, so thought I'd join in.

I plan on doing next to no prep - I'll take a look at the prep advice pages on TLS (haven't done that yet), and from the sounds of it, I may, just may, start this GTM thingamajig.

What I do plan: a shit-ton of lifting, climbing, yoga, volleyball and summer adventures/travel. Gonna be buckling down in the fall, and I've been out of school for a few years now. Might as well enjoy this season of life while I'm still in it.

I will also try and hang out with as many douchebaggy people as I can to accustom myself to the impending shit-show that will be law school.

Or maybe I'll just ditch this whole LS thing and sign up for the 2023 Mars Mission: http://mars-one.com/en/faq-en/21-faq-selection/251-do-i-qualify-to-apply

Everyone should basically do their own version of this.

FranklinSims

Postby FranklinSims » Fri May 31, 2013 5:27 am

Nova wrote:
JXander wrote:Do you think there is any value in general, basic 0L prep? Do you think the same premise applies to preparation that utilizes more general resources (Delaney's books, LEEWS)?

Read LEEWS. Its a way better use of your time than Supps. It will get your mind right for the end game.

The law is not hard. Almost everyone will know it. You get separation by writing good essays.

LEEWS is cool to read but after talking to a guy who worked with a law school tutor and transferred from Loyola L.A. to Michigan after 1L I think I will look into this guy. His opinion was that while LEEWS was helpful the tutor focused on specific exam skills tailored to his courses and his needs. Working with the tutor he claims he finished practice exams well in advanced and after reviewing them with the tutor took them into office hours and got direct feed back from professors.

FranklinSims

Postby FranklinSims » Fri May 31, 2013 5:39 am

RodneyRuxin wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

Yes, I was.
Let me be for real: learn how to take an exam as a 0L. This gives you a huge advantage and your classmates won't learn until second semester. Do LEEWS, and even if you don't follow their method, do the practice problems at the end of the book. (it provides you an "outline" so you know the law enough to answer the question). This will give you more experience taking exams than anyone else and that's a good thing.

As far as learning everything beforehand, I wouldn't read the E&E's or hornbooks. It might help to listen to the BarBri 1L videos just to get a preliminary sense of the material so it isn't foreign to you. You can download the videos (summaries of the entire class in 3-6 hours) and listen to them from the phone app while you work out/drive/etc.

You are totally right about taking advantage of learning to write exams early because most 1Ls will know little about how to actually write an exam. The reason for this is that there is such a disconnect between what is expected on exams and what happens in lecture and when preparing for class/lecture. I am told that most 1Ls are not able to negotiate the two disparate expectations. A friend of mine worked with a law school tutor over the summer so that when the semester started they were able to begin writing practice exams specific to the first semester courses while everyone else was struggling to learn and understand the law from reading and class. He ended up transferring to UCLA from a tier 2 and the only other student that worked with the same tutor that year transferred to Michigan. I think I will give the tutor a try since he has had success with 1L students at Loyola specifically.

AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Fri May 31, 2013 8:01 am

For those who did LEEWS prior to 1L: are the audio discs necessary or would reading the primer be sufficient?

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:36 am

AllDangle wrote:For those who did LEEWS prior to 1L: are the audio discs necessary or would reading the primer be sufficient?

The audio is definitely necessary

KD35

Postby KD35 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:37 am

AllDangle wrote:For those who did LEEWS prior to 1L: are the audio discs necessary or would reading the primer be sufficient?

And not to be a pain, I've met a few people who have just done the primer...and it is nice not having to listen to all those audio discs.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri May 31, 2013 4:23 pm

Reading Getting to Maybe, but that's about it. I've looked through some of the exam guides on TLS. They seem helpful, but don't mean much to me at this point. I'll make sure my note taking software is set up and I'll read the Hunger Games so as to avoid being the last person on earth to not read that series. That's about it.

Keasbey

Postby Keasbey » Fri May 31, 2013 4:30 pm

ph5354a wrote: I'll read the Hunger Games so as to avoid being the last person on earth to not read that series. That's about it.

+1

Keasbey

Postby Keasbey » Fri May 31, 2013 4:30 pm

ph5354a wrote: I'll read the Hunger Games so as to avoid being the last person on earth to not read that series. That's about it.

+1

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri May 31, 2013 4:32 pm

ph5354a wrote:Reading Getting to Maybe, but that's about it. I've looked through some of the exam guides on TLS. They seem helpful, but don't mean much to me at this point. I'll make sure my note taking software is set up and I'll read the Hunger Games so as to avoid being the last person on earth to not read that series. That's about it.

Just read Battle Royale instead.

My next stage of 0L prep has begun... packing and putting shit on ebay.

magp90

Postby magp90 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:35 pm

ph5354a wrote:Reading Getting to Maybe, but that's about it. I've looked through some of the exam guides on TLS. They seem helpful, but don't mean much to me at this point. I'll make sure my note taking software is set up and I'll read the Hunger Games so as to avoid being the last person on earth to not read that series. That's about it.

I still haven't read the books, seen the movie, or even been able to articulate the plot so don't worry.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:35 pm

I've been doing the packing/eBay stage as well lately

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri May 31, 2013 4:40 pm

kayleighcheyenne wrote:I've been doing the packing/eBay stage as well lately

Nice. Anyone want to buy an elliptical? Great for cardio if you have bad knees, but bad if you are moving into a tiny apartment.

CaptainLeela

Postby CaptainLeela » Fri May 31, 2013 4:55 pm

kayleighcheyenne wrote:I've been doing the packing/eBay stage as well lately

This is what I really should be doing...but no...I'm playing around with random crap instead and will do it in a caffeine filled panic in the 4 days before I move.

I've learned as I get closer to 30 to just not fight it anymore. It's a losing battle.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri May 31, 2013 4:56 pm

Where are jxander and lawhopeful going to school? If they got to mine I'd like to know so I can withdraw.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri May 31, 2013 4:57 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Where are jxander and lawhopeful going to school? If they got to mine I'd like to know so I can withdraw.

I thought you were ready for DAT RIGOR!

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri May 31, 2013 4:59 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Where are jxander and lawhopeful going to school? If they got to mine I'd like to know so I can withdraw.

I thought you were ready for DAT RIGOR!

Im ready but they're horrible people. I don't want to be within one hundre miles of their strivery doucheness.

ariadne328

Postby ariadne328 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:01 pm

Reading GTM, moving, and getting the rest of my life in as much order as possible to try and minimize the neglect from the next three years.

Also lots of cooking. I love it and I want to stock my freezer for those late study nights I still want to eat well. :)

Return to “Law School FAQ”