0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
shibby

Bronze

Re: 0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall.

Post by shibby » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:09 pm

This thread has pretty much been functioning as my to do list.

To add:
Watch the entire The Wire series
Trick out my new laptop
Ignore the E&Es and Getting to Maybe I purchased. Or at least try to.

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:17 pm

shibby wrote:This thread has pretty much been functioning as my to do list.

To add:
Watch the entire The Wire series
Trick out my new laptop
Ignore the E&Es and Getting to Maybe I purchased. Or at least try to.
If you need any advice, I am apparently quite good at this last one ;)

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Working as I understand that to succeed in law school you must treat it like a 60 hour a week job, so I'm working a similar amount so I can be accustomed to it and help further finance it.

StLNE

New

Post by StLNE » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:55 pm

My last day of work is next week. After that, reading for fun (the fourth and fifth GoT) and tackling a couple law school-oriented books. Also, way too much time playing black ops 2, disc golf, and frisbee...

Volake

New

Post by Volake » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:Working as I understand that to succeed in law school you must treat it like a 60 hour a week job, so I'm working a similar amount so I can be accustomed to it and help further finance it.
Hmm... Although it is doubtless prudent to put a lot of time into study, I'm not sure how closely the analogy of a "60 hour/week" job fits. You're going to want to put as much time as it takes to integrate the many subjects of each class into a sensible picture. Be aware of the specifics (those your course covers) to the greatest degree that you can, but also be aware of how the areas of the law relate and interact. Look at how different facts and nuances can be translated in different ways into the picture, and what matters in why you might choose one application over another.

I suppose weekly allocations are consistent with this kind of approach, it just seems to me that such a rigid allocation of hours as you might have with a job could be counterproductive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:15 pm

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:17 pm

JaviSTB

Silver

Post by JaviSTB » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:16 am

Sublime, that's my plan as well. Depending on the week, Friday might also count as a weekend.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:53 am

I am expecting 20-30 hrs a week with about 100 during finals

I'm one to procrastinate tho

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

laotze

Bronze

Post by laotze » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:56 am

1. Get conversational in Spanish (picked up a bit from years in the restaurant industry, using Rosetta Stone daily this summer and conversing with my SO who speaks fluently). At the same time, brush up on my atrophied French somehow (I'm considering a few weeks spent bumming around at a Montreal hostel).
2. Finally watch The Wire and The Sopranos.
3. Finish the rough draft of the shitty alt history fantasy novel I've been researching/writing on and off since I was 13.
4. Get back into my regular gym habit rather than this "if I feel like it today" bullshit.
5. Catch up on my summer reading list. Damnit, David Foster Wallace, I will not be defeated by your textual Xanax.
6. Sell my car, which I won't need for three years and which will otherwise continue to cost me a fortune in trumped up city insurance rates.
7. Move.
8. Drag my SO to the beach as many weekends as possible.
9. Spend copious amounts of time playing video games, since I presumably won't be touching them again for at least a year (if ever).
10. Do/Survive all of the above on zero dollars.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:39 am

Volake wrote: I suppose weekly allocations are consistent with this kind of approach, it just seems to me that such a rigid allocation of hours as you might have with a job could be counterproductive.
I'm gonna be honest, I didn't understand any of this post. I don't see how spending 8-9 hours/day doing school work has any impact on the kind of analysis of the law that you were referring to. Care to explain?

I plan on doing the same thing, 9-5pm days, give or take, with a little work on the weekends as needed (obviously this all goes out the window during finals). I've heard from more than a few current students at various schools that this works really well for them, especially those that have already worked full time jobs. For K-JDs there may not be as many benefits, but I think it'll make for an easier transition back to school life for me. Working FT for two years has completely eradicated my ability to sleep in, so I plan on making the most of the day time hours so I can still have some time for myself during the evening.

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:41 am

sublime wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:Working as I understand that to succeed in law school you must treat it like a 60 hour a week job, so I'm working a similar amount so I can be accustomed to it and help further finance it.

I am expecting 40-50 a week during the semester at 60-70 around finals.

I am sure you could get by with like 20 a week jlh, you know, since we will be on the same curve and all :lol:
Oh, that's a really good point, lol

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:55 am

beach, beach, gtm, and more beach

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:24 pm

9-5 M-F, and work as needed during weekend to make up for the hours that I skipped during M-F. For finals I am just going to study as needed which I imagine will just be constant studying with sporadic breaks.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:56 pm

I don't think any of us 0Ls have an idea of what the workload is going to be like. A lot of us will overdo it, some of us won't do enough, and there may even be a few that do just the right amount.

All I can say is I plan to do all of my reading, write all of my memos, and do my outlines in a complete and timely fashion. However long that takes me... I don't know.

JDot

New

Post by JDot » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:26 pm

I've already read 1L of a ride, Getting to Maybe, and Barbri's First Year Law School Success and I plan on reading John Delaney's Learning Legal Reasoning and How to Do Your Best on Law School Exams before school starts....other than that I'm just continuing my normal rountine, work during the week, party during the weekend

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:49 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:I don't think any of us 0Ls have an idea of what the workload is going to be like. A lot of us will overdo it, some of us won't do enough, and there may even be a few that do just the right amount.

All I can say is I plan to do all of my reading, write all of my memos, and do my outlines in a complete and timely fashion. However long that takes me... I don't know.
+1. Agree completely. Also it isn't about how much you study, but how well you study. So everyone will be different.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:49 pm

KD35 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I don't think any of us 0Ls have an idea of what the workload is going to be like. A lot of us will overdo it, some of us won't do enough, and there may even be a few that do just the right amount.

+1. Agree completely. Also it isn't about how much you study, but how well you study. So everyone will be different.
Fair point.

Hopefully I am one of the fortunate ones, but who knows?

Volake

New

Post by Volake » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:57 pm

I'm gonna be honest, I didn't understand any of this post. I don't see how spending 8-9 hours/day doing school work has any impact on the kind of analysis of the law that you were referring to. Care to explain?
Yeah. I don't know what I was thinking. You can definitely benefit from a rigid schedule of studying, it just wasn't a method I preferred.

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:06 pm

+1

You totally beat me to this . . . and this is spot on. I feel that if reading TLS has taught me anything, its that as 0Ls we really can't know anything until we're there.

sf_39

New

Post by sf_39 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:14 pm

I'm watching baseball and the Stanley Cup Finals right now. Then more video games. Then more working out. Then going out on weekends. Taking a trip to NYC in a week. Then more sports, video games, gym and going out. Then I leave for school.

I also read Getting to Maybe.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:51 pm

Working a 9-5 at a law firm as a paralegal, going to the gym errday, Netflixing it up a lot, enjoying freedom, and planning on taking a couple vacations before summer's over.

Also, I bought Planet Law School (II), but it hasn't been touched yet. Debating whether I should start reading it or start a new TV series... I hear The Wire is good.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:54 pm

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:02 am

sublime wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:Working a 9-5 at a law firm as a paralegal, going to the gym errday, Netflixing it up a lot, enjoying freedom, and planning on taking a couple vacations before summer's over.

Also, I bought Planet Law School (II), but it hasn't been touched yet. Debating whether I should start reading it or start a new TV series... I hear The Wire is good.

You should watch the Wire. It is amazing.

If that is Idris Elba in your avi, he is one of the main characters on the Wire and does a phenomenal job,.
Now I feel like I'm disgracing Idris by having him on my 'tar and not having watched the Wire. Planet Law School can wait.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:17 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”