0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Volake

New

Re: 0Ls: How are you preparing for school this fall.

Post by Volake » Thu May 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Bronck wrote:
lawhopeful10 wrote:First in response to the person who said I would be the gunner people hate in class idk how since I don't plan on talking much in class especially since there is no reason too.
Second, way to make a judgment about me based on that one post, I don't think it is too outrageous to study a little during the day, I hang out with my buddies, play basketball and see my girlfriend the rest of the time like anyone else.
Finally, I write responses using things I have gleamed from LEEWS and GTM and use online outlines as the law just to get the hang of how to take tests. I have only done like 5-6 but I feel like you start to learn generally how people write them.
So yea fuck yourself clown for calling me insufferable when you don't know shit and in an online forum.
lol, keep telling yourself that
A gunner, insofar as the term is properly used as an insult, does not refer to someone who works hard to distinguish him or herself in law school. That person is acting prudently, we put a lot of money and time into law school, and effort invested at this point can pay large dividends in the future.

A gunner is one who departs from decency in order to gain an advantage in law school. Gunnerish activity would be not sharing notes with someone in your study group after their computer crashed a week before finals. It could also refer to taking resources from the library that you know others need, not for your own use, but merely to deprive others of them. Trying to better your person understanding of the law or better be able to recognize issues is definitely not gunnerish.

Think what you will about it being too early to do practice tests, and criticize lawhopeful10 for that. There's plenty of room for disagreement about what sort of 0L prep is effective or worth the time But if you're ridiculing him for trying to get an edge in law school, I dunno what your problem is.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:41 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
North wrote:I can't believe it took four pages for the above posts to happen.
New record. Class of 2016 is tamer than the norm

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:44 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
CaptainLeela wrote:
New record. Class of 2016 is tamer than the norm
While employment outcomes may not be scaring off the least informed maybe its scaring off the crazies?!?

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu May 30, 2013 1:53 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
:lol:
DorthyMantooth wrote:Where are you getting your online outlines from?
Check it. This is just one (hardly adequate) source. I have friends who are law students that have shown/shared with me theirs. Keep in mind that they won't really be useful until you get your class's syllabus.

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Thu May 30, 2013 2:11 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:words
LJL

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Thu May 30, 2013 2:16 pm

I'll probably take the summer to read, go to concerts, and try and find some good, new craft beers.

But for those who are really preparing heavily . . .does anyone think getting evernote premium is worth it?

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:32 pm

Keasbey wrote:But for those who are really preparing heavily . . .does anyone think getting evernote premium is worth it?
I have the standard Evernote, and I think I'd only go premium if there were some feature that I realized I needed once classes got started. That or get Circus Ponies.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu May 30, 2013 3:47 pm

magp90 wrote:
Keasbey wrote:But for those who are really preparing heavily . . .does anyone think getting evernote premium is worth it?
I have the standard Evernote, and I think I'd only go premium if there were some feature that I realized I needed once classes got started. That or get Circus Ponies.
If you have Windows and can get OneNote, I think getting it and familiarizing yourself with it would be a decent idea. I credit OneNote with helping me survive 1L. I have heard that Circus Ponies is decent for Mac but not nearly as robust.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:51 pm

ImNoScar wrote:If you have Windows and can get OneNote, I think getting it and familiarizing yourself with it would be a decent idea. I credit OneNote with helping me survive 1L. I have heard that Circus Ponies is decent for Mac but not nearly as robust.
OneNote does sound great, except I have Mac so it's between Circus Ponies and Evernote for me (short of getting Boot Camp, which seems a little much).

What I like about Evernote is that I can have it on any Apple device and can access it from the web. That way my notes get backed up and I can have them pretty much everywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu May 30, 2013 3:55 pm

magp90 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:If you have Windows and can get OneNote, I think getting it and familiarizing yourself with it would be a decent idea. I credit OneNote with helping me survive 1L. I have heard that Circus Ponies is decent for Mac but not nearly as robust.
OneNote does sound great, except I have Mac so it's between Circus Ponies and Evernote for me (short of getting Boot Camp, which seems a little much).

What I like about Evernote is that I can have it on any Apple device and can access it from the web. That way my notes get backed up and I can have them pretty much everywhere.
Yeah I think Boot Camp exclusively for OneNote would be a bit much too. Evernote is great too. Really unless you're using some of the more advanced features of OneNote the two will be pretty fungible.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:04 pm

I live by and die by onenote. Undergrad forced us to use it for every class. Been using it since and it's been a hell of a ride. I love you onenote

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:10 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:I live by and die by onenote. Undergrad forced us to use it for every class. Been using it since and it's been a hell of a ride. I love you onenote
Hahaha I've read less compelling valetine's cards. If only I had a PC

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Taking practice tests before 1L makes no sense. You'll have plenty of time to take them during the semester. Most people don't take them till the last few weeks. If you start taking them half way through the semester, you will be ahead of a basically everyone.

Reading supps and taking PTs before you know what material your prof wants you to learn is simply a very inefficient use of your free time. I guess one advantage of supps/PTs before the semester starts is to calm your neurotic minds.
Last edited by Nova on Thu May 30, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Volake

New

Post by Volake » Thu May 30, 2013 5:30 pm

Reading supps and taking PTs before you know what material your prof wants you to learn is simply a very inefficient use of your free time.
Agreed, but some people like reading non-fiction for fun. I'm just saying why not read something like Dressler's Supplement on Crim Law or listen to something from the Sum and Substance Series if you have a long car ride. It certainly isn't necessary to do well, but it wouldn't hurt.
Last edited by Volake on Thu May 30, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Volake wrote:
Reading supps and taking PTs before you know what material your prof wants you to learn is simply a very inefficient use of your free time.
Agreed, but some people like reading non-fiction for fun. I'm just saying that why not read something like Dressler's Supplement on Crim Law or listen to something from the Sum and Substance Series if you have a long car ride. It certainly isn't necessary to do well, but it wouldn't hurt.
If its genuinely fun for you, do what make you happy I guess :mrgreen:

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:33 pm

And the majority of these posters are 0Ls anyway...most of what we know is based on what we have heard others say. Everyone is different and will take a different approach.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Thu May 30, 2013 7:45 pm

Working two mindless service jobs, reading as much fiction as I care to, spending every day off at the beach, and hopefully having one more whirlwind summer romance before all of these things become a luxury.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bosmer88

Bronze

Post by bosmer88 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:34 pm

I'll be reading. I am reading The Great Divorce right now and plan on getting though GTM and some other books later in the summer. Playing some games (Journey, Flow, Final Fantasy, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Little Big Planet).

Most importantly, I'll be sleeping a lot and savoring that moment when you wake up and realize you don't have things so pressing that they require you to get out of bed. I'm gonna miss that feeling in the fall. :(

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu May 30, 2013 8:48 pm

bosmer88 wrote:I'll be reading. I am reading The Great Divorce right now.
OH. SO good. Enjoy it.

bosmer88

Bronze

Post by bosmer88 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:49 pm

JXander wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:I'll be reading. I am reading The Great Divorce right now.
OH. SO good. Enjoy it.
I am definitely enjoying it thus far. :)

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Thu May 30, 2013 10:24 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
banjo wrote: Yep. I'm playing through a lot of the games discussed in the CLS applicants thread. Right now I'm taking a break from JRPGs to play Mass Effect. By the way, for those looking for good video games to play, make sure you've done this whole list: --LinkRemoved--

I also plan to listen to a few Yale open courses that I've been meaning to do for a while. Some of them are tangentially related to law, such as "financial markets" taught by Robert Shiller. I'm going to do a history course next.
Sounds like my summer too. That list is pretty frustrating since a lot are PS releases, but it is pretty shameful I haven't played Shadow of the Colossus et al yet.

Currently working on:

-Virtue's Last Reward
-Terraria
-everything from the HIB8

And I guess I'll probably get back into GW2 once I quit my job. Any other MMOers here?
Going to add Virtue's Last Reward to my list. SOTC is basically a series of long, painstaking boss battles, and you often wonder whether it's even worth fighting them. So it's probably the closest thing to law school in this thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Thu May 30, 2013 10:39 pm

I plan on reading all the hornbooks, GTM, LEEWS, All the E&Es, all my readings for the casebooks (my school sends us syllabi early) and if you're not doing the same thing, then you are probably going to be really behind when law school starts.

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Thu May 30, 2013 10:44 pm

Welcome to TLS

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:55 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
RodneyRuxin wrote:I plan on reading all the hornbooks, GTM, LEEWS, All the E&Es, all my readings for the casebooks (my school sends us syllabi early) and if you're not doing the same thing, then you are probably going to be really behind when law school starts.
How will you have time for that while ghost bouncing and dealing with paralegal activity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LBPoxMnfzc
This is fucking hilarious .

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu May 30, 2013 10:56 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:I have been reading E&Es and hornbooks but I'm not worried about every legal nuance at this stage, I'm just getting an idea for everything. Then I find sample tests online with answers, berkeley has some, and you can find outlines online and I take practice tests. While I think really drilling material is a waste at this stage getting a general idea how to apply law might help or at least that's my reasoning.
That is not what you should be doing at this point. It is not a productive or effective use your time. I'm not going to go and call you names, because I was in your shoes at one point, and tried to do the same things prior to law school. I just wanted to make it clear that you aren't on the right track if you think doing practice exams before school starts is a good idea. Want to read an E&E? Thats pretty useless in itself (unless its torts, where the book and your course will largely overlap), but at least it has some miniscule value, though I'd say its ultimately useless, if not detrimental.

Most people who argue against substantive prep are people who didn't do it themselves, so it is very easy to just assume that the person is bitter, or simply looking to retroactively justify a decision. Well, I did lots of 0L prep. And I regret the large majority of it. You see, it doesn't become clear to you until after the fact what is and isn't useful, and what I should and shouldn't have done. And substantive prep is not among the things I should have done.
Last edited by kaiser on Thu May 30, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”