Need to Report Involuntary Commitment?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
A. Nony Mouse

Re: Need to Report Involuntary Commitment?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 31, 2013 1:23 am

The only thing I can suggest about the sucky classmates is maybe think about law school as a job, and them as the crappy co-workers you just have to put up with? Let your emotional life be focused outside of law school, where you're a person and it matters what people you value think of you, and ignore the immaturity and rudeness? There's a lot of guff about how law school is where you make the best friends of your life blah blah blah, but I think that's a stupid thing to hang on a professional degree. I mean, I made friends in law school, and if you make the best friends of your life there that's great, but that's not exactly why you're there. I would just ignore people as much as you can, do the work, and focus your emotional life on people outside of law school.

The other thing is that some of the people with money and generous parents will (probably) still be cool people. It's not easy to be the person who has to serve as a living example to them that not everyone lives that way, so I realize there's a barrier there, but assuming they're all shallow because they have money is a little bit like assuming that crackheads are stupid but binge drinking is awesome.

In any case, 1L is hard because everyone's kind of stuck together in the same groups. 2L and 3L are easier because you don't have to do that any more. Look for the other people who don't seem to fit in with the nasty ones? There are probably some - maybe keeping a low profile; if there are as many privileged students there as you suggest, the ones who aren't may actually be trying to fit in and pretend they are - and you can bond in a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of way.

(At least, presumably some of the other people will be cool. You may genuinely be stuck in a community that doesn't work for you, but hopefully you can find at least one or two allies.)

I realize this is sort of "grin and bear it" advice, but I don't think there is much else you can do besides minimize contact and ignore them, unless you transfer.

(and I had an Evidence prof who thought that extending doctor/patient privilege to psychiatric care was bogus because there was no guarantee of reliability with psychiatric patients, since lol they're crazy and they'll say anything! that was classy. So it's amazing the kinds of things people will say.)

throw-away-soon

Postby throw-away-soon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:39 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The only thing I can suggest about the sucky classmates is maybe think about law school as a job, and them as the crappy co-workers you just have to put up with? Let your emotional life be focused outside of law school, where you're a person and it matters what people you value think of you, and ignore the immaturity and rudeness? There's a lot of guff about how law school is where you make the best friends of your life blah blah blah, but I think that's a stupid thing to hang on a professional degree. I mean, I made friends in law school, and if you make the best friends of your life there that's great, but that's not exactly why you're there. I would just ignore people as much as you can, do the work, and focus your emotional life on people outside of law school.

The other thing is that some of the people with money and generous parents will (probably) still be cool people. It's not easy to be the person who has to serve as a living example to them that not everyone lives that way, so I realize there's a barrier there, but assuming they're all shallow because they have money is a little bit like assuming that crackheads are stupid but binge drinking is awesome.

In any case, 1L is hard because everyone's kind of stuck together in the same groups. 2L and 3L are easier because you don't have to do that any more. Look for the other people who don't seem to fit in with the nasty ones? There are probably some - maybe keeping a low profile; if there are as many privileged students there as you suggest, the ones who aren't may actually be trying to fit in and pretend they are - and you can bond in a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of way.

(At least, presumably some of the other people will be cool. You may genuinely be stuck in a community that doesn't work for you, but hopefully you can find at least one or two allies.)

I realize this is sort of "grin and bear it" advice, but I don't think there is much else you can do besides minimize contact and ignore them, unless you transfer.

(and I had an Evidence prof who thought that extending doctor/patient privilege to psychiatric care was bogus because there was no guarantee of reliability with psychiatric patients, since lol they're crazy and they'll say anything! that was classy. So it's amazing the kinds of things people will say.)

I went to a HS with VERY wealthy kids. John Kerry/Theresa Heinz have a house in the district, as did a former NFL coach, so I've been surrounded by deep pockets. And a lot of them were decent, because they liked to think of themselves as new age hippies...wearing their DMB t shirts around haha. But my class in HS was generally nice, I chilled with the preps and the fuckups. So I mean I have been exsposed to that, and my dad makes bank working for the gov, so my poverty experience was when I became an adult.

Wow, do people seriously say they meet their best friends in life at LS? Maybe it's because they end up practicing near eachother and are able to stay in touch? Most of my college friends are out of state, but I best most of the kids at my LS will end up working or living within an hr of eachothers.

Yeah, IDK if a ton are rich or they just buy exspensive designer stuff cheap on eBay or Goodwill (I do the second all the time. I've thrift shopped way before that stupid Macklemore song, bc I can't afford to spend more than $4 on pants haha).I know wearing designer clothes doesn't mean you're rich, but when you have 8 ralph lauren polo's in different colors, or wear $12 a pair socks or $200 heels/Birkenstocks/etc, I kind of have to question their financial situation. Then again, maybe they're using that plastic?

Yeah, I hated undergrad the first 2-3mths until I met my type of people, but there were 4,000+ students. I mean, if I befriend people I enjoy being around, great. But I'm not there to meet friends...I think it's silly when people sell college or grad school as a means to make amazing, life long, best best best friends type thing. I always meet new people in real life, not school life. I have good friends now, I chill with co workers sometimes, I have plenty of people to call or text. It's just that I need to adjust in how I interact with d bags and the judgmental ignorant type who thinks they're super open minded. I don't want to let strangers' idiotic comments bother me, I don't want prude classmates dictating or impacting my emotions or happiness. I just want to co exist, and mostly tolerate them. Many of them literally drove me to drink, since there's at least 8 bars within a mile of the school, because they, intentionally or not, made me feel like a total outcast and like they are better than my kind of people. They didn't DIRECTLY say that, and hey, maybe the new class is better, and maybe they wouldn't say that if they new my background, but I mean hearing those junkie/crack head jokes is mildly offensive. IDK why people think it's SOOOOO funny to make fun of addicts, homeless people, and the mentally ill, but even 25 year old law school kids are immature enough to think it's funny bc it's trendy, or they're just trying to fit in, but I don't read minds, so w/e.

Is there a nice/funny/effective way to say something to a peer who makes an offensive or ignorant remark about addiction/homelessness/MH? I think maybe if I could have a "good zinger," people would back off. I can tell there's A TON of gossip in LS, or at least mine, and I bet a good one liner would spread enough for people to not say shit like that to me. In terms of Prof's, I am comfortable confronting them one on one and being open about my conditions, bc the admin already know.

THX,

Happy Tuesday.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:48 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:You should really really call someone. Like now. Your sponsor, your counselor in your dual diagnosis program, whoever. I'm not sure how cognizant you are of your triggers but everything about that post is scaring the shit out of me. I'm happy to look up numbers for your specific state or area if you feel like you can't and/or send you the national stuff directly.

You are important. Your sobriety is important. Your health and well-being are important. Neither your father nor anyone else can take that away from you. I'm glad to hear you have some friends you feel like you can reach out to right now. Please give them a call. I've been in their shoes, I know they'd be happy to listen.

And seriously shoot me a PM, I've got nothing but time.

I second this. But really, if you need to talk to someone, PM me. I'm happy to chat.

throw-away-soon

Postby throw-away-soon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:48 am

simplycatalina wrote: Post subject: Re: Need to Report Involuntary Commitment?

simplycatalina wrote:
CaptainLeela wrote:You should really really call someone. Like now. Your sponsor, your counselor in your dual diagnosis program, whoever. I'm not sure how cognizant you are of your triggers but everything about that post is scaring the shit out of me. I'm happy to look up numbers for your specific state or area if you feel like you can't and/or send you the national stuff directly.

You are important. Your sobriety is important. Your health and well-being are important. Neither your father nor anyone else can take that away from you. I'm glad to hear you have some friends you feel like you can reach out to right now. Please give them a call. I've been in their shoes, I know they'd be happy to listen.

And seriously shoot me a PM, I've got nothing but time.

I second this. But really, if you need to talk to someone, PM me. I'm happy to chat.

Thank you for the advice.

I contracted MRSA and have been to the ER three times this week, plus a PCP and MedExpress. The dr's wanted to admit me Monday, because I couldn't keep liquids down. I'm finally feeling better, and can hold down drinks and small amounts of food. I have never been so sick for so long. I thought it was a spider bite! Anyways, my foot stopped hurting, the swelling is gone, and it feels normal. It got so bad that BOTH of my parents met me the last time I went to the ER, and actually stayed for a bit. They kind of thought I was making it up/exaggerating, and then the Dr explained how serious it was, and they were incredibly sympathetic....which is weird haha.

I was kind of annoyed that I was there Saturday night and Sunday morning (throwing up at work, sporadic fever, sweats, chills) because they gave me Zofran via IV, and I threw up out of my window as I drove home, then twice when I came home.

My parents and I are now genuinely getting along...more surprised that my dad and I are cool. Heck, my mom has offered to COOK for me since I was discharged, and they both want me to stay with them until my health improves. Kind of a blessing in disguise type thing I guess, and I am so grateful I feel better.

It's also super demoralizing that I get MRSA after I got clean. And when the PCP saw that I'm on Suboxone, he was all "this could be withdrawal." Even though I only tested + for bupenepherone (Suboxone) and - for EVERYTHING else. After I told him I was taking my Subs as RXed, he backed off. I've noticed international PCP's are super discriminatory against addicts, even ones in recovery! It sucks that they want to assume it's drug related.

The first ER visit a CRNP gave me a really hard time, bc I told her I hurt the same foot in Jan by blowing it out shooting up, so she was bitchy the whole time even though my urine and blood was clean. Worst part about it was she jabbed my really swollen, sore, and painful foot twice with like a 3 inch syringe to inject Novacaine so she could drain it. The shot hurt soooooo bad. Then when she cut it open, she's like "oh looks like you drained all of it last night." So it was pointless pain, and I think she did it intentionally. I drained it by myself w/o any type of painkillers.

Each ER's co pay is $300, $50 for MexExpress, and $25 for the PCP, so I have no idea how to possibly pay my tuition charges. The school offered to let me pay $1k now, and make a payment plan, but I'd have to pay an additional $100 to get a payment plan.

I also have nearly $800 in court costs/fines, and I am going to talk to my attorney about getting some waived and some converted to volunteering. I asked about that process on Aveeo or whatever it's called, and all of the people stated that was a good possibility given my commitment and my disability application with Social Security.

I know a lot of this is irrelevevant, but I am trying to find healthy ways to vent and stuff, even though yinz are strangers and stuff. But getting MRSA was a low blow to me, bc it sometimes feels like things are getting worse now that I'm clean.

My Sub therapist said that once you get clean, the mental health problems are really severe until treated, obviously bc you numbed them with drugs.

While I was driving the other day at work, some honestly insane woman tried to start a fight with me. The car in front of me stopped completely in a lane in the parking lot of an outdoor shopping plaza, so I went around him. An old woman was j walking, and I was going about 10mph, and stopped like 15 yards in front of her.

So I park and I'm getting out of my car and I hear screaming, and then see a woman walking towards me. She's saying things like "you fucking idiot you almost killed that woman! are your retarded?!" and was threatening to call the cops and was approaching me and my car. I told her if she kept coming towards me or touched me or my car, I was going to call the cops. She kept hovering and screaming at me, so I took a video of it. She called me a "fucking political radical moron" bc of a magnet I had on my car...ironically she was the one acting radical lol. I went inside a store and told them about the woman, and apparently she's done that type of harassment before and had the cops called on her, so I had to report it to the police. I was shaking, and had a major anxiety attack bc I feared for my safety. She's like "go ahead and call the cops! I'm a witness!!!!" And I'm like, a witness to WHAT? Stopping 15 yards away from a j walker? And she says "attempted murder!" and I asked what proof she had, she said her eyes. At that point I was freaking out bc I've never had someone do that to me.

I told the cops I didn't want them to come down since I left, but just that I wanted to report it in case she hurt me or my property. It was obvious she had a MAJOR mental health issue, but it was scary! Especially since other people saw the whole thing and said I was cool.

I guess that whole thing scared me too bc I don't want to end up doing that shit in public. I've had recent issues with just randomly swearing out loud, like if I drop my keys in a parking lot, I yell "you're a fucking clutz moron," out loud...I don't have tourettes, or at least anywhere close to a serious case (I twitch when nervous), but it's embarassing when I accidentely say shit like that out loud, ya know?

But that woman reminded me how important it is to get treatment. I mean, my friend from college ended up in jail for stabbing his step dad and then leading cops on a car chase bc he didn't get his paranoid schizo treated...now he's fucked. Either he'll be locked in a crappy long term pysch hospital, or a prison. It scares me to see people unravel, bc I am always worried I will. I'm scared I really damaged my brain w/all of the drugs I've done. I've done every major drug multiple times, and there were points that I would use whatever I could get as many times a day as possible, and literally would go months using something every single day. Now my MH is worse than ever, and it makes me scared, makes me feel helpless and hopeless sometimes.

I have to meet with a Phd Pyschologist next month for my disability claim, and I'm nervous about that .

I went out with my buddy tonight, and we hit up a local bar bc it has free ping pong/table tennis and pool. I was so happy bc all I drank was a can of Pepsi, and that made me unbelievably happy. But he's had MH issues, he has something, and may also be bipolar. So I was able to actually talk to someone who GETS what I feel like bc he has felt the same way. He's basically my best friend now, and he's probably the only one in the world who can always make me feel better. Point is I do have relateable friends to converse with, but I only just started REALLY talking to them about things...like the suicide attempts, feeling like I am insane...

Today was a rare bright spot bc I was able to go out to a bar and not drink or get involved with any seedy patrons. It was a kind of test I guess. I had a major drinking problem my JR yr of undergrad, but it's been in check since I quit drinking the summer before my 21st. But that's the first dive bar I've gone to since I got clean, and I was able to get through it without fucking up, and that's boosted my confidence. And my buddy told me if I needed to leave that it would be cool. For a guy, he's incredibly caring and he's helped me through a lot of shit.

Thank you to anyone who is willing to "talk" w/me on here...I just need as much advice as possible. I want to fulfill my dream of practicing law, passing the bar and graduating law school, and I want to put EVERYTHING I can in to this attempt. I wasn't serious last year. I mean, I'd take shots at local bars at 9am before class, and it progressively worsened. The Dean told me I looked so much better last time he saw me. As did the PD who represented me for my commitment hearing. It's amazing how much that improves my mood when people notice the changes I've worked so hard to make.

I know law school won't be perfect. I know there will be a lot of stress and adversity. It's going to be challenging in ways it won't for most of my peers, which means I need to work and prepare more in order to succeed.

I drastically underachieved on the LSAT bc I studied for it and took it on dope, but miraculously I got a really awesome deal from my law school, and they're sticking by me after I relapsed, dropped out, and got arrested/

I not only want to do well for myself, but also want to prove to all of the admin's and Dean's that I was worth the help, and the lawyers and judges who have aided my legal woes. I don't feel "pressure," but I feel an obligation to do things right.

I want to know how to deal with difficult people- especially peers, and how to deal with a student body that holds bar reviews at bars during happy hour, and have at least one wet event a week. I am not an alcoholic, but I just don't want to be in that type of atmosphere, bc I don't want to start drinking to cope with anxiety, which ends up making the anxiety worse.

I hope people don't think I'm a whiny obnoxious bitch, I just don't usually talk about this stuff except for my one therapist, and I am slowly working on opening up to my closest friends. This is a really long process, and I'm trying to learn as much about myself as possible.

I am so ready to move past all my fuck ups. I want to attain a goal I set in kindergarden (become a lawyer). It's not bc I want to be rich, or have a prestigious job/reputation, or to make my parents satisfied. I want to practice law because I LOVE law, I enjoy reading briefs and opinions/cases, and it's something that clicks with me. I can see how things connect in law, and I don't even really care much about what field of law I work in, bc I've liked something about every field I've learned about.

I'm willing to take ANY kind of helpful, insightfull, useful feedback and advice about anything that could help me excel and conquer my issues in law school. Only one of my friends that I still talk to went to law school, and she is from a completely different world. She's awesome and caring, but she knows she can't relate to many of my problems.

Maybe you guys can, or even if you can share tips on overcoming obstacles and such.

I am entering a manic episode, and writing really helps me calm down and slow things down in my head a bit.

So yeah, I am a little crazy right now, but PLEASE contribute anything you think would help me!

I really appreciate how KIND so many people on this thread are towards me. I've dealt with some really nasty people before, and I just need to have some proof there's still nice people in the world haha.

Well, thanks everyone!

Now that I am over the MRSA thing, I can actually come on here and respond.

Feel free to PM!

:)

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:54 am

Holy walls of fucking text Batman.

throw-away-soon

Postby throw-away-soon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:06 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Holy walls of fucking text Batman.

Yeah...mania SUCKS.

But it lets me pound out articles for the paper so easily haha. It took me a fraction of time to write papers in school, which is why I had such massive amounts of free time....which didn't end well haha.

Sorry it's long! When you're manic, it's hard to tone it down and be concise....please don't h8.

throw-away-soon

Postby throw-away-soon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:22 am

I'm meeting with the dean Tuesday about re enrolling and paying off $2k in tuition from fall 12. Any advice?

throw-away-soon

Postby throw-away-soon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Didn't need to explain anything to the school and it worked out. I'm able to come back with my scholarship intact. Apparently this wasnt a big deal to them, especially since I had the 303 revoked. I'm working on getting the 302 expunged, which will happen as long as I challenge it, unless I screw up badly in front of the judge, who wants to help me.

Things are finally better and my parents shockingly agreed to pay my past she balance from last year so I can come back to school, and will help either pay my tuition or fully pay my room and board my 2nd and 3rd year. I have a coaching job for the fall and possibly a part time job at a library. I haven't worked the last 1 1/2 months other than coaching here and there, but I found a new pysch and things are overall stabailized for once.

Thanks for all the kind words and nice advice, and the pms. It did make a difference and made me feel somewhat normal. I ended up getting in to BYU this cycle, but decided to return to Pitt on scholarship with free room and board and coaching jobs that I like and that pay well. My parents are letting me stay with them rent free for as long as I want to, so even though I'd like to have my own place like pretty much every 23 year old, I figured I'd save the $ and just suck it up for now. Living at home sucks, but I think for now it's worth about $8k this year.

Welp that's it. Can't say enough great things about how accommodating Pitts been and continues to be.

crestor

Postby crestor » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:55 pm

OP just curious but are you a male or female? Also hope everything's going well for you at Pitt.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:41 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:37 am

throw-away-soon wrote:
glebe wrote:
throw-away-soon wrote:it really hurts when people are trying to convince you you're crazy and telling you you're lying when you KNOW what you said and did, and NOBODY with any power believes you.

I hope you are feeling better.

Once upon a time, I was standing on a subway platform when a rugged-looking homeless man approached me and started talking. My headphones were in and my music was playing, so I didn't hear the first few things he said. I had already had two other panhandlers come up to me earlier in the week, so I unplugged my ears and instantly said "sorry man, I don't have anything". A look of frustration spread across his face, and through his rotting teeth he sourly remarked that he wasn't asking for anything, and walked away. I was puzzled and a little embarrassed. To this day, I still wonder what he approached me for.

The point of my story is that it's not that we all think you're lying, it's that 98% of mentally disturbed people say the same thing. If you want people to think you're crazy, then go on long-winded rants about how your therapist was out to get you, and lied to get you involuntarily committed. (Again, I'm not calling you a liar). If you want people to think you're a sane individual, then shrug off the incident as a fit of exhaustion caused by a bad reaction to new medication.

Please don't interpret this as my judgement of you, for I speak (partially) from experience. I have a misdemeanor on my criminal record, and I have found that playing the victim is often the cause of much eye-rolling.

I'm not proffering legal advice here, just suggesting that you face this incident with a different attitude.

Yes, I have issues, but I am not close to what stereotypical mental health inpatient people are like (incoherent, voices). The woman whose hearing was before me was walking like Frankenstien-her arms were fully extended and she was wobbling side to side, so compared to those people, judges and lawyers don't think I'm insane. And they all have believed my story. The law school scholarship to the best school in my city helps, as dose some of my WE. They basically assume I'm intelligent because of the things I've done and the schools I've gone to, grades I received. And I'm a white female, so that helps a lot.

It's benefited me that my case was actually overseen by the county and legal people, because they were able to see through that therapist's story. She didn't even show up to the appeal. Every legal person I dealt with on this situation has believed me, including judges, defense attorney's, and the last prosecutor. I mean they withdrew the last petition within 5 minutes, so they clearly saw something was off.

If I win the "expungement" on the grounds that it was an improper commitment, the judge said I likely wouldn't have to pay. Otherwise I will have to go civil.

No offense OP, but as someone who only has one year left to get their doctorate in clinical psychology, I find your post about "stereotypical mental health inpatient people" to be very dehumanizing, and I would hope that, even out of the terrible experience you had, would find compassion for individuals afflicted with mental illness in all of that and acknowledge firsthand the systemic issues in the mental healthcare system. Something struck me from what you said.. you can be smart and have a mental illness- and just because you're intelligent doesn't mean people are fooled; you may be better able to mask symptoms and rapid cycling, but people will still know something is off.

The therapist in me would encourage you to be very reflective about whether a career with so many stressors is setting yourself up for success to be "in remission," if you will, later in life. Psychosocial stressors cause exacerbation of symptoms and cycling.. At any rate, if the record is not fully expunged, I would disclose it, but not in the detail that you did in your post and in blaming other individuals, systems, etc. I would be very matter-of-fact and say that you were struggling with mental health issues, received treatment, and expect to continue treatment to avoid future recurrences. I'd also encourage you to look at the work that Dr. Andrew Benjamin (also an attorney) has done in the area of mental health for attorneys, and how law school impacts mental health, and particularly in individuals with existing diagnoses.

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:41 am

arkgawilson wrote:
throw-away-soon wrote:
glebe wrote:
throw-away-soon wrote:it really hurts when people are trying to convince you you're crazy and telling you you're lying when you KNOW what you said and did, and NOBODY with any power believes you.

I hope you are feeling better.

Once upon a time, I was standing on a subway platform when a rugged-looking homeless man approached me and started talking. My headphones were in and my music was playing, so I didn't hear the first few things he said. I had already had two other panhandlers come up to me earlier in the week, so I unplugged my ears and instantly said "sorry man, I don't have anything". A look of frustration spread across his face, and through his rotting teeth he sourly remarked that he wasn't asking for anything, and walked away. I was puzzled and a little embarrassed. To this day, I still wonder what he approached me for.

The point of my story is that it's not that we all think you're lying, it's that 98% of mentally disturbed people say the same thing. If you want people to think you're crazy, then go on long-winded rants about how your therapist was out to get you, and lied to get you involuntarily committed. (Again, I'm not calling you a liar). If you want people to think you're a sane individual, then shrug off the incident as a fit of exhaustion caused by a bad reaction to new medication.

Please don't interpret this as my judgement of you, for I speak (partially) from experience. I have a misdemeanor on my criminal record, and I have found that playing the victim is often the cause of much eye-rolling.

I'm not proffering legal advice here, just suggesting that you face this incident with a different attitude.

Yes, I have issues, but I am not close to what stereotypical mental health inpatient people are like (incoherent, voices). The woman whose hearing was before me was walking like Frankenstien-her arms were fully extended and she was wobbling side to side, so compared to those people, judges and lawyers don't think I'm insane. And they all have believed my story. The law school scholarship to the best school in my city helps, as dose some of my WE. They basically assume I'm intelligent because of the things I've done and the schools I've gone to, grades I received. And I'm a white female, so that helps a lot.

It's benefited me that my case was actually overseen by the county and legal people, because they were able to see through that therapist's story. She didn't even show up to the appeal. Every legal person I dealt with on this situation has believed me, including judges, defense attorney's, and the last prosecutor. I mean they withdrew the last petition within 5 minutes, so they clearly saw something was off.

If I win the "expungement" on the grounds that it was an improper commitment, the judge said I likely wouldn't have to pay. Otherwise I will have to go civil.

No offense OP, but as someone who only has one year left to get their doctorate in clinical psychology, I find your post about "stereotypical mental health inpatient people" to be very dehumanizing, and I would hope that, even out of the terrible experience you had, would find compassion for individuals afflicted with mental illness in all of that and acknowledge firsthand the systemic issues in the mental healthcare system. Something struck me from what you said.. you can be smart and have a mental illness- and just because you're intelligent doesn't mean people are fooled; you may be better able to mask symptoms and rapid cycling, but people will still know something is off.

The therapist in me would encourage you to be very reflective about whether a career with so many stressors is setting yourself up for success to be "in remission," if you will, later in life. Psychosocial stressors cause exacerbation of symptoms and cycling.. At any rate, if the record is not fully expunged, I would disclose it, but not in the detail that you did in your post and in blaming other individuals, systems, etc. I would be very matter-of-fact and say that you were struggling with mental health issues, received treatment, and expect to continue treatment to avoid future recurrences. I'd also encourage you to look at the work that Dr. Andrew Benjamin (also an attorney) has done in the area of mental health for attorneys, and how law school impacts mental health, and particularly in individuals with existing diagnoses.

And PS- good luck with your disability claim. I do disability evals so PM if you'd like.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:05 pm

Glad the school helped you out. Try not to be so hard on yourself.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:38 pm

throw-away-soon wrote:
Thanks. Sadly my dad and I are estranged. He's physically assaulted me several times, lied to the police about it, never apologized. He has an undiagnosed mental health condition. Basically my mom is getting me a place based on his last outburst. About 3 weeks after my discharge and suicide attempt this month, he burst in to the house, and, upset my mother did not divulge a play by play of a disagreed I had with her, started screaming that he had nothing to live for except one of our dogs and my useless brother. He was all "I have no reason to live," and "nobody ever asks how I FEEL," and "nobody cares about me."

Basically he was putting on another dramatic showcase to get attention from my mom.

I called this at her first post.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:09 pm

throw-away-soon wrote: decided to return to Pitt

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School FAQ”