Waitlist LOR question Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Rlabo

Silver

Waitlist LOR question

Post by Rlabo » Thu May 16, 2013 8:51 pm

Hey guys,

Double posting this as no one answered from other section. Quick question about submitting additional LORs to a school one's waitlisted at. Is sending more than one typically considered overkill or is 2-3 fine? For Penn they clearly stated they only wanted one, but didn't see much of instruction from other schools. For reference, the schools I'm waitlisted at are all in the lower half of the t14.

txdude45

Silver

Re: Waitlist LOR question

Post by txdude45 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:21 pm

Rlabo wrote:Hey guys,

Double posting this as no one answered from other section. Quick question about submitting additional LORs to a school one's waitlisted at. Is sending more than one typically considered overkill or is 2-3 fine? For Penn they clearly stated they only wanted one, but didn't see much of instruction from other schools. For reference, the schools I'm waitlisted at are all in the lower half of the t14.
If you didn't send the max w/ your app, send enough to satisfy that and an additional one if you feel like it. If you sent the max already, just send 1. Another 2-3 won't give you any marginal benefit and will probably just piss adcoms off. Also, if the new recommender is someone you had access to before, think about why you didn't ask them in the first place and if it will be good. An additional LOR should be better than the others, not just another for the sake of having another.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Thu May 16, 2013 9:55 pm

txdude45 wrote:
Rlabo wrote:Hey guys,

If you didn't send the max w/ your app, send enough to satisfy that and an additional one if you feel like it. If you sent the max already, just send 1. Another 2-3 won't give you any marginal benefit and will probably just piss adcoms off. Also, if the new recommender is someone you had access to before, think about why you didn't ask them in the first place and if it will be good. An additional LOR should be better than the others, not just another for the sake of having another.
Sent max +1 already. The new one would be an alum so it would be more school specific.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Rlabo wrote:Sent max +1 already. The new one would be an alum so it would be more school specific.
I don't think the fact that it's an alum would matter much. Unless they're a legal heavy weight, schools won't care much seeing as they have thousands of alums roaming the country at any one time.

Unless the rec will be substantially better than any you have on file, I wouldn't send it. A LOCI would be much, much better if you have any updates to give them.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Fri May 17, 2013 2:10 am

txdude45 wrote:
Rlabo wrote:Sent max +1 already. The new one would be an alum so it would be more school specific.
I don't think the fact that it's an alum would matter much. Unless they're a legal heavy weight, schools won't care much seeing as they have thousands of alums roaming the country at any one time.

Unless the rec will be substantially better than any you have on file, I wouldn't send it. A LOCI would be much, much better if you have any updates to give them.
Been sending LOCIs once a month since waitlisted

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”