What do you think?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sadday
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:55 am

What do you think?

Postby sadday » Tue May 14, 2013 3:28 pm

If your LSAT score is above the 75th percentile at a school where 25 percent get big law. Would you say your chance at ranking in the top 25th percentile is still only 1 in 4? While I'm not going to say that a 75th percentile lsat guarntees you'll be in the top 25 percent, doesn't it at least make your odds better (let's say 40-50 percent rather than 25 percent).

User avatar
TheBiggerMediocre
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Re: What do you think?

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Tue May 14, 2013 7:24 pm

undergrad experience please

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: What do you think?

Postby bananasplit19 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:28 pm

In my experience, LSAT score isn't indicative of how well a student does in law school. LSAT score is indicative of how well a student takes the LSAT.

Qualifications: I got 170+ LSAT, but still dumb as a brick.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: What do you think?

Postby twenty » Tue May 14, 2013 7:35 pm

TLS was ragging on a black kid with a 158~ for going to UVA a few years back, who then proceeded to end up in the top 10% of his class.

sadday
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:55 am

Re: What do you think?

Postby sadday » Tue May 14, 2013 9:59 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:In my experience, LSAT score isn't indicative of how well a student does in law school. LSAT score is indicative of how well a student takes the LSAT.

Qualifications: I got 170+ LSAT, but still dumb as a brick.


How did you do 1L?

sadday
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:55 am

Re: What do you think?

Postby sadday » Tue May 14, 2013 10:01 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:TLS was ragging on a black kid with a 158~ for going to UVA a few years back, who then proceeded to end up in the top 10% of his class.


I'm sure there are lots of unique cases, I'm just questioning whether someone with a 75th percent lsat at his/her school should feel that his/her chance to be at the top 25 percent of his/her class is really the exact same as everyone else.

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: What do you think?

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue May 14, 2013 10:18 pm

I'll echo the sentiment that just because you did well on the LSAT you'll be at the top in your classes. Not a bet I'd make.

User avatar
Tekrul
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: What do you think?

Postby Tekrul » Tue May 14, 2013 10:24 pm

I got near a perfect score I'm the SAT and didn't do anything that could be called succeeding at UG. I suspect the LSAT will predict the same which is why schools take into account both gpa and lsat and accept splitters.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: What do you think?

Postby Scotusnerd » Tue May 14, 2013 10:30 pm

sadday wrote:If your LSAT score is above the 75th percentile at a school where 25 percent get big law. Would you say your chance at ranking in the top 25th percentile is still only 1 in 4? While I'm not going to say that a 75th percentile lsat guarntees you'll be in the top 25 percent, doesn't it at least make your odds better (let's say 40-50 percent rather than 25 percent).



Assuming all else equal, yes.

However, assuming all else to be equal is naive. I promise you, not everyone will understand how to take a law school exam equally well. Reading comp fails happen, there are sloppy mistakes, misunderstandings, and general screwups. Also, some people just don't put in the time to figure out how to properly answer a professor's hypos.

The LSAT, properly read, indicates that you have a supposedly have potential that is higher than however many other people who take that class. You are extrapolating that your potential there is equivilant to your chances at biglaw, since biglaw takes the top 25%.

You assume that the only thing biglaw is looking for is grades. It is not. Biglaw firms look for grades, but also experience, and whatever else that particular firm wants (maybe they want someone who cooks a mean tuna casserole). Firms do not look at the same things in resumes. Admittedly, grades are a heavy factor, but they are not the only factor.

I don't think that correlation is very useful. Your LSAT score is your "talent" in the law area. It's your raw ability to utilize some skills that you might need. But it isn't the law or the practice of law itself. As an analogy, comparing the LSAT to biglaw in this manner is like telling a child that they have a talent at singing and then expecting them to do amazing on stage. Sure, the kid is a natural, but unless he practices for hours on end, he's still gonna suck.

I wouldn't base my decision on something with so many factors outside of your control.

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: What do you think?

Postby bananasplit19 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:50 pm

sadday wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:In my experience, LSAT score isn't indicative of how well a student does in law school. LSAT score is indicative of how well a student takes the LSAT.

Qualifications: I got 170+ LSAT, but still dumb as a brick.


How did you do 1L?

Still a 0L, but I'm not counting on being in the top 10% next year (although I'll do my darndest).

Source: Still dumb as a brick.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: What do you think?

Postby Cobretti » Tue May 14, 2013 11:07 pm

sadday wrote:If your LSAT score is above the 75th percentile at a school where 25 percent get big law. Would you say your chance at ranking in the top 25th percentile is still only 1 in 4? While I'm not going to say that a 75th percentile lsat guarntees you'll be in the top 25 percent, doesn't it at least make your odds better (let's say 40-50 percent rather than 25 percent).

to answer your actual question of simply will you be more likely than 25% to be in the top 25%, statistically yes you will. the LSAT is correlated with 1L grades, period. Like everyone has already said, it won't drastically increase your chances, but your guess of possibly having a 40% chance of being in the top 25% could very well be backed up by statistics (its probably less than 40%, just saying its probably a reasonable guess).

Of course these are basically just odds of someone with your LSAT ending in the top (not necessarily YOU ending up towards the top). if you know you don't have the best study habits, or you get easily stressed out, or you're just lazy... you can pretty safely drop that 40% back down right away. LSAT correlation is just a correlation, it doesn't cause you to place higher.

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: What do you think?

Postby magp90 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:31 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:I'll echo the sentiment that just because you did well on the LSAT you'll be at the top in your classes. Not a bet I'd make.


Though isn't the top 75% something in the high 150's?




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests