Sticker at Hastings?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
1republic

Sticker at Hastings?

Postby 1republic » Tue May 14, 2013 12:15 pm

From the bay area, don't mind staying there after law school potentially. But is it worth sticker?

twenty

Re: Sticker at Hastings?

Postby twenty » Tue May 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Berkeley is barely worth sticker if you're getting in state tuition and have SF ties. Hastings at sticker, just run.

helterskelter

Postby helterskelter » Tue May 14, 2013 12:29 pm

I like Hastings, and seriously considered it myself, but it's clear that it's a trap school. Do not get yourself into that level of debt for a 50-50 chance at a job.

Hastings is the only tier 1 (and I use the term loosely) school on NLJ's recent list of schools with the highest unemployment. And they consider any employment ($250,000 to work at McDonald's?), not just full-time, JD required employment. http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 0414122317

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Tue May 14, 2013 2:25 pm

Under NO circumstance is Hastings worth 6 figures, let alone 250k.

No, no, no, do not do it.

Plenty of pragmatic people on here aren't even sure t14 is worth sticker, that should tell you something.

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Tue May 14, 2013 2:27 pm

Hastings at sticker is NOT worth it! I'm going to Hastings, but if I had to pay COL and they didn't give me $$ I wouldn't be going there.

1republic

Postby 1republic » Tue May 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks guys! I think I posted that as a sort of catharsis to affirm my belief that it's definitely not worth it. And it helped. Might retake LSAT and apply next cycle.

North

Postby North » Tue May 14, 2013 3:16 pm

1republic wrote:Thanks guys! I think I posted that as a sort of catharsis to affirm my belief that it's definitely not worth it. And it helped. Might retake LSAT and apply next cycle.

Probably the best decision you'll ever make. 170+ or bust, don't settle.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Tue May 14, 2013 3:42 pm

North wrote:
1republic wrote:Thanks guys! I think I posted that as a sort of catharsis to affirm my belief that it's definitely not worth it. And it helped. Might retake LSAT and apply next cycle.

Probably the best decision you'll ever make. 170+ or bust, don't settle.

TTCR

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Tue May 14, 2013 7:23 pm

if you really want it go for 150k max

TheGreatFish

Postby TheGreatFish » Wed May 15, 2013 5:19 am

helterskelter wrote:I like Hastings, and seriously considered it myself, but it's clear that it's a trap school. Do not get yourself into that level of debt for a 50-50 chance at a job.

Hastings is the only tier 1 (and I use the term loosely) school on NLJ's recent list of schools with the highest unemployment. And they consider any employment ($250,000 to work at McDonald's?), not just full-time, JD required employment. http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 0414122317

Hastings had a 77% bar passage rate for the 2012 class. Their unemployment rate is 21%. That means every student who passed the bar found a job, and even a few who failed managed to find something.

While the type of employment is obviously crucial information, the job prospects are probably not all that dire.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed May 15, 2013 5:43 am

TheGreatFish

Postby TheGreatFish » Wed May 15, 2013 2:17 pm

sublime wrote:
TheGreatFish wrote:
helterskelter wrote:I like Hastings, and seriously considered it myself, but it's clear that it's a trap school. Do not get yourself into that level of debt for a 50-50 chance at a job.

Hastings had a 77% bar passage rate for the 2012 class. Their unemployment rate is 21%. That means every student who passed the bar found a job, and even a few who failed managed to find something.

While the type of employment is obviously crucial information, the job prospects are probably not all that dire.

Not nec legal jobs.

The job prospects ARE that dire: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=hastings

I know Law School Transparency's data is everyone's favorite way to scare themselves, but has anyone ever figured out if the numbers are accurate or how they even acquire their information? I couldn't help but notice most of the pages list more graduates from the law school than the number that actually graduated. Sometimes this number is off by as many as 50 students. If you're factoring in 50 unemployed students into your data who never actually existed, it's going to throw off the accuracy more than slightly.

Now as for the National Law Journal... I find it an odd coincidence that the number of students unemployed for any school correlates so closely with the number of students who failed the bar exam.

M458

Postby M458 » Wed May 15, 2013 2:32 pm

TheGreatFish wrote:

I'm going to go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt here and ask you how you came to this conclusion...

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed May 15, 2013 4:08 pm

M458 wrote:
TheGreatFish wrote:

I'm going to go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt here and ask you how you came to this conclusion...

GreatFish I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt, so I highly recommend not trying to explain yourself here... It's gonna get ugly

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed May 15, 2013 5:23 pm

TheGreatFish wrote:
sublime wrote:
TheGreatFish wrote:

Not nec legal jobs.

The job prospects ARE that dire: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=hastings

I know Law School Transparency's data is everyone's favorite way to scare themselves, but has anyone ever figured out if the numbers are accurate or how they even acquire their information? I couldn't help but notice most of the pages list more graduates from the law school than the number that actually graduated. Sometimes this number is off by as many as 50 students. If you're factoring in 50 unemployed students into your data who never actually existed, it's going to throw off the accuracy more than slightly.

Now as for the National Law Journal... I find it an odd coincidence that the number of students unemployed for any school correlates so closely with the number of students who failed the bar exam.

The get the information from the schools themselves: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/re ... ethodology
Evidence they miscounted the class size? Is one size taking into account students that dropped out while the other isn't?
Clearly Hastings is garbage, btw OP, do not go.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:31 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote:if you really want it go for 150k max

I hope this was sarcasm.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed May 15, 2013 10:38 pm

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Thu May 16, 2013 1:04 am

Hastings job prospects are not good. Most non-IP people I know are working part time. Two of these PT people were in the top 25 and 33%, respectively.

Crunch the numbers yourself: 20% of c/o 2012 are working FT and earning 80k+. That means roughly 80% of the class is not earning enough to justify the time and expense of a Hastings law degree.

<--- 2012 Hastings grad

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri May 17, 2013 7:28 am

Boalt is not even worth sticker. Do you think Hastings is? :lol:

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 17, 2013 7:41 am

1republic wrote:From the bay area, don't mind staying there after law school potentially. But is it worth sticker?

Not even close. Trap skool.

Return to “Law School FAQ”