How often does someone just flunk out of L.S.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Barack O'Drama

How often does someone just flunk out of L.S.

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon May 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Anyone have any stories about people they know (or know of) that just could not handle law school? I'm a bit curious as to the frequency that this happens, I have heard stories, but not enough to really know for sure. Just curious...

Thanks guys

Ludo!

Re: How often does someone just flunk out of L.S.

Postby Ludo! » Mon May 06, 2013 8:55 pm

Varies wildly depending on the law school. And depends on your definition of flunking out

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon May 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Varies wildly depending on the law school. And depends on your definition of flunking out

Very true... should have specified a but more. I suppose by flunking out I mean either:

a. Person took finals and did awful. Then made decision to leave
b. Person concludes they just cannot handle the workload, difficulty, etc
c. Person receives failing grades and flunks out by not meeting minimum grade requirements

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 pm

I have a friend who transferred to a sht school because he couldn't handle being in the bottom 20%.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon May 06, 2013 9:07 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote:I have a friend who transferred to a sht school because he couldn't handle being in the bottom 20%.

Interesting, I have never even thought of that option. Then again, It is not technically "flunking out." Well I hope he does/did better and made the transfer worth it.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Mon May 06, 2013 9:33 pm

GregoryADevine wrote:
TheBiggerMediocre wrote:I have a friend who transferred to a sht school because he couldn't handle being in the bottom 20%.

Interesting, I have never even thought of that option. Then again, It is not technically "flunking out." Well I hope he does/did better and made the transfer worth it.

He won't. The person at the bottom of the class at Harvard would probably be at the bottom of the class at Cooley. Law schools all teach the same shit, which is why employers look so hard at pre-law credentials (which they can get based on the ranking of the school).

1 & 2 are pretty common. 3 is extremely uncommon without extenuating circumstances.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon May 06, 2013 9:46 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
GregoryADevine wrote:

He won't. The person at the bottom of the class at Harvard would probably be at the bottom of the class at Cooley. Law schools all teach the same shit, which is why employers look so hard at pre-law credentials (which they can get based on the ranking of the school).

1 & 2 are pretty common. 3 is extremely uncommon without extenuating circumstances.

Wow! That is a big eye opener. I did not think it was common at all! And good point about the H comparison to Cooley.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Mon May 06, 2013 10:03 pm

GregoryADevine wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
GregoryADevine wrote:

Wow! That is a big eye opener. I did not think it was common at all! And good point about the H comparison to Cooley.

When I say common I don't mean the majority of the class, but a lot of people decide it's not for them for various reasons. Fewer than should honestly.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 07, 2013 5:30 am

I have a friend who went to a local TTT, completed one semester, then dropped out inthe middle of his second one. He had to get a CPA license and work as an accountant to pay the debt for over a year. Now he works in a completely different non-law/non-accounting related industry and does fine so idk what the moral of that story is except dont go to a TTT.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue May 07, 2013 9:19 am

dextermorgan wrote:He won't. The person at the bottom of the class at Harvard would probably be at the bottom of the class at Cooley. Law schools all teach the same shit, which is why employers look so hard at pre-law credentials (which they can get based on the ranking of the school).

Is this true? I realize the above is probably hyperbole, but for those of you at T14's: do you see many people in the bottom 25-30% that don't "deserve" to be there, in terms of effort and/or intellect?

ookoshi

Postby ookoshi » Tue May 07, 2013 9:51 am

Pneumonia wrote:
The person at the bottom of the class at Harvard would probably be at the bottom of the class at Cooley.

Is this true? I realize the above is probably hyperbole, but for those of you at T14's: do you see many people in the bottom 25-30% that don't "deserve" to be there, in terms of effort and/or intellect?

I think that might be a little extreme. Once you start breaking into the T-14 every student got in on a combination of either work ethic and/or a natural aptitude for logical reasoning (LSAT score) to the point where they are competing relative to people without either one of those near the bottom of Cooley's class rank.

But, the average T1 school vs Cooley though, probably true.

Return to “Law School FAQ”