Prospective Candidate

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
BigShot21

Prospective Candidate

Postby BigShot21 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:54 pm

I'm considering law school. But I have questions on my situation.

Will being a transfer student from a community college to a university hurt my chances at a T10 school?(3.9 at cc)

Is it really just GPA and LSAT that will get me a seat in a T10? I was just wondering if any job/work would look good or help my app out any?

Honestly I am contemplating doing law but I think I am in it for the wrong reasons, I'll admit I am probably more interested in the money and prestige. But this partially stems from the fact that I come from a family that doesn't have a lot of money, and my parents have worked 80 hour weeks for minimum wage to push me into a better life.

What can I do to ensure that I'd like a career in law? I've considered the profession since like I mentioned above, but also, its one of the few ways to venture into becoming a lobbyist or senator and in the long run a law degree probably helps with running a small business....something I'd hope to run later on...

hephaestus

Re: Prospective Candidate

Postby hephaestus » Sun May 05, 2013 11:58 pm

No one will care about the community college thing. GPA/LSAT is 99% of the equation.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Mon May 06, 2013 12:14 am

With your history and motivation, you'll find that no matter what line of work you pursue, it will be a factor that the job is high paying and prestigious. But that does not mean you can't also enjoy what you do as well while getting paid well - and that thing you enjoy may well be law. But it could also be medicine or any other professional career that has a hefty paycheck.

I would think of it as killing two birds with one stone. Like what you do, and also achieve that underlying goal of cash and prestige. One without the other will leave you bankrupt somewhere.

I suggest you find work as a paralegal / legal assistant and see if law is right for you.

To answer your question, the answer before mine is all you need to know.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:20 am

A law degree isnt really the best route for lobbying or being a small biz owner.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon May 06, 2013 3:41 am

dr123 wrote:A law degree isnt really the best route for lobbying or being a small biz owner.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon May 06, 2013 4:10 am

ImNoScar wrote:No one will care about the community college thing. GPA/LSAT/URM is 99% of the equation.

FTFY

BigShot21

Postby BigShot21 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:54 am

I'm curious as to why a law degree wouldn't be ideal for a lobbyist?

And what other jobs would be open to someone with a law degree from a top school?
Last edited by BigShot21 on Mon May 06, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigShot21

Postby BigShot21 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:56 am

Tekrul wrote:With your history and motivation, you'll find that no matter what line of work you pursue, it will be a factor that the job is high paying and prestigious. But that does not mean you can't also enjoy what you do as well while getting paid well - and that thing you enjoy may well be law. But it could also be medicine or any other professional career that has a hefty paycheck.

I would think of it as killing two birds with one stone. Like what you do, and also achieve that underlying goal of cash and prestige. One without the other will leave you bankrupt somewhere.

I suggest you find work as a paralegal / legal assistant and see if law is right for you.

To answer your question, the answer before mine is all you need to know.

Thanks! And what I've made bold is 100% true. Having a lack of money and parents breaking their backs everyday, I've kind of grown up with becoming a professional where I would be able to have enough money to never worry about it again, and at the same time I've always wanted the prestige of being in a professional career.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon May 06, 2013 11:23 am

My advice is to find a career either in some business services field (consulting, banking, etc.) if you have the credentials and if you don't, try to find some law-related job. See how you like it and then study your ass off for the LSAT.

Whatever you do, don't rush the LSAT and enroll in some lower tier law school financing your education on only loans. Way too many people in your situation do this and it will most likely put you in the same position that your parents are in. The average law student at top schools enrolls at 25, so you have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon May 06, 2013 12:27 pm

BigShot21 wrote:I'm curious as to why a law degree wouldn't be ideal for a lobbyist?

And what other jobs would be open to someone with a law degree from a top school?

Legal jobs. A JD isn't some magic door into non-legal fields.

BigShot21

Postby BigShot21 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:05 pm

goldbh7 wrote:My advice is to find a career either in some business services field (consulting, banking, etc.) if you have the credentials and if you don't, try to find some law-related job. See how you like it and then study your ass off for the LSAT.

Whatever you do, don't rush the LSAT and enroll in some lower tier law school financing your education on only loans. Way too many people in your situation do this and it will most likely put you in the same position that your parents are in. The average law student at top schools enrolls at 25, so you have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do.

What can I do to get consulting work in business? Or for that matter how can I even land a lucrative business career when I don't attend ivy?

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Mon May 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Produce and sell something people actually want. SEX DRUGS ROCK AND ROLL.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Mon May 06, 2013 7:39 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote:Produce and sell something people actually want. SEX DRUGS ROCK AND ROLL.

People want McDonalds. Therefore, you should go work at McDonalds, producing shitty burgers and fries.

Sounds like a plan.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Tue May 07, 2013 12:04 am

A lucrative business career will depend on your ingenuity, resolve, and persistence. Most novice business owners will fail in their first attempts. The lessons you learn by failing will open up more doors to you. I know for a fact, from my personal experience, that banks are more willing to lend credit to business ventures where the lead man has failed in the past, than to a completely greenhorn lead man. They know that the failure has taught that man well. It was much, much easier for me to obtain my loan the second time for an even greater amount than it was for the first time.

However, given your motivation and history, I do not see business being your cup of tea. You sought out a profession for a reason. Being a professional lends itself to stability. Business lends itself to risk.

If you truly wish to explore business as an option, I recommend using http://www.sba.gov/ and signing up for their newsletter to better acquaint yourself.

Consulting is a different story. In fact, consulting can be an option after a J.D. which eliminates the problem you brought up of having 'no ivy'.

You mention you went to community college and you mention that you've transferred to a more respected university. This is probably the point at which you'll want to take a finance or econ major. Keep the trajectory you have going and you'll be looking at getting into elite law schools. If you can maintain a spectacular GPA and crush the LSAT 174+, you will have these options. Coming out of these law schools, you can pursue elite consulting firms such as Deloitte and McKinsey with surface references to the finance background you have from undergrad. After a few years, these firms will probably send you off for your MBA in the usual track of their associates.

Return to “Law School FAQ”