Can retake result in an offer being rescinded?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jvincent11

Can retake result in an offer being rescinded?

Postby jvincent11 » Sun May 05, 2013 5:41 am

Hello All,

I am very proud to announce that I will be taking the LSAT for the third time this coming June. While I consider myself very blessed and fortunate to have the options that I do (best option being 75K scholarship at a T10), I think it would be foolish not to retake considering: (1) I have multiple PT scores in the 170-173 range with a high of 176; (2) I have a full month I can devote to studying; (3) a lower score will not adversely impact any of my current offers.

Again, while I am very satisfied, there is never a time for complacency. I really think taking the test with legitimate offers this time as opposed to none last time will almost completely ease my nerves to get me to that 170+ milestone. I have also seen so many people on TLS improve on his/her third try and they inspire me to do the same.

However, I just want to confirm #3 is accurate. I believe I am required to send my June score to all of the schools I have been accepted/wait listed to. I imagine a situation in which I score below a 165 would not happen because that would most likely require me to completely bomb a section, in which case I would be aware of that and cancel my score. Nevertheless, I could score a 165, and I just want to make sure that would have ZERO impact on my current offers. Out of curiosity, I would also like to know if a 160 would have any affect either.

I guess I could email the admissions office of each school and ask them how a lower score would affect my status. Does anyone recommend doing this?
Last edited by jvincent11 on Sun May 05, 2013 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Re: Can retake result in an offer being rescinded?

Postby Nova » Sun May 05, 2013 5:51 am

Ive never heard of an offer being rescinded for a lower score

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:07 am

I think my school will be focused mostly on keeping their current students not getting rid of any. After all it will be July when they get that score. I just want to know for sure that it wouldn't happen!

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Are you trying to grab extra money for this cycle or would you withdraw and reapply next cycle if you happened to get a much better score? Just wondering.

To answer the question, I would be very surprised if your offer got rescinded based on a test that will not effect their incoming class scores in any way.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun May 05, 2013 2:26 pm

retake in June ONLY IF you feel you could improve

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Sun May 05, 2013 4:09 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:Are you trying to grab extra money for this cycle or would you withdraw and reapply next cycle if you happened to get a much better score? Just wondering.

To answer the question, I would be very surprised if your offer got rescinded based on a test that will not effect their incoming class scores in any way.

It all depends. Sitting on a few wait lists so a higher score could help me in that regard but if I hit 171 I would probably reapply because I was already at a disadvantage this cycle by taking the Feb LSAT and applying really late, so a higher score and applying in September could improve my options significantly.

Dr. Dre wrote:retake in June ONLY IF you feel you could improve

I know for a fact I can improve, but I don't know if that will happen. Are you trying to say there are risks associated with a June retake? The advice on this site is always retake because there is nothing to lose and I just want to confirm that that's true.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Sun May 05, 2013 4:13 pm

jvincent11 wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:Are you trying to grab extra money for this cycle or would you withdraw and reapply next cycle if you happened to get a much better score? Just wondering.

It all depends. Sitting on a few wait lists so a higher score could help me in that regard but if I hit 171 I would probably reapply because I was already at a disadvantage this cycle by taking the Feb LSAT and applying really late, so a higher score and applying in September could improve my options significantly.

Dr. Dre wrote:retake in June ONLY IF you feel you could improve

I know for a fact I can improve, but I don't know if that will happen. Are you trying to say there are risks associated with a June retake? The advice on this site is always retake because there is nothing to lose and I just want to confirm that that's true.

Good thinking with regards to sitting out this year. You've likely alredy failed to maximize your potential offers with the February take. I'd definitely re take and have apps ready to go in September.

Then just sit back and enjoy.

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Sun May 05, 2013 4:21 pm

I'm not concerned with those decisions until I actually get my score back and it is indeed higher. However, I will not retake unless I know for sure that there are no risks associated.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Sun May 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Of course not. What would ever be the basis for such a fear? I hope that you can think more logically about your first year course work.

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Sun May 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:Of course not. What would ever be the basis for such a fear?

School I deposited at sees a lower score and rescinds my offer.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Sun May 05, 2013 4:46 pm

jvincent11 wrote:
Younger Abstention wrote:Of course not. What would ever be the basis for such a fear?

You only restated your fear...

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun May 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Retake for June. I don't think you'd BOMB it, considering how confident you are.

But after retaking, you don't feel confident, CANCEL your score.

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Sun May 05, 2013 5:31 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:
jvincent11 wrote:

You only restated your fear...

My basis is nobody told me that it's impossible for that to happen.

Return to “Law School FAQ”