ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
unclepete
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby unclepete » Wed May 01, 2013 11:26 am

ASU seems to be my best option at this point in terms of ranking and total COA. I could graduate w/ less than 60k in loans.

However, I need the ability to work in LA after law school (S.O. is here). Is ASU only a feeder school into Phoenix/Arizona? Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Oh, and I`m not looking for BigLaw. I currently paralegal at a large immigration firm, and have decided on immigration law as my career path.

User avatar
unclepete
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby unclepete » Wed May 01, 2013 12:23 pm

Bump? Anyone?

User avatar
Gunnar Stahl
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 pm

They place 5.7% of grads in California

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby adonai » Wed May 01, 2013 1:36 pm

If it is hard for LA people to get law jobs in LA, consider what it would be like for those people who attend schools outside of California. Rankings won't matter when you're trying to find a post-grad job. You'd probably be in a better position going somewhere like Southwestern at full scholly than ASU with half scholly for your stated goals/purposes.

User avatar
unclepete
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby unclepete » Wed May 01, 2013 2:13 pm

Yikes. 5.7% is terrible.

The other options I`m considering at the moment are Hastings (but not really, because it's too damn expensive) and Loyola at a low price since my COL would be non-existent (living with SO).

Why is ASU ranked so high, again?

User avatar
Shammis
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby Shammis » Wed May 01, 2013 2:20 pm

LA is Sattturated, even for schools like Loyola...and we have a ton of Alumni practicing in the area. It'll be even harder for you b/c there are fewer alumni practicing.

User avatar
VegasLaw702
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:40 am

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby VegasLaw702 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:21 pm

That is 5.7% for placing in CA. That rate is much higher for placing in AZ. That said, there are worse options than Loyola for placing in CA. With no COL, what would your loans be at Loyola?

User avatar
unclepete
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby unclepete » Wed May 01, 2013 2:30 pm

VegasLaw702 wrote:That is 5.7% for placing in CA. That rate is much higher for placing in AZ. That said, there are worse options than Loyola for placing in CA. With no COL, what would your loans be at Loyola?


~50k. Wish I would have been accepted to USC/UCLA, but no such luck. I`m also not sure if a retake would help that cause, since I currently have a 167. I`m not sure raising to a 172 would even help with the GPA-obsessed California schools

User avatar
VegasLaw702
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:40 am

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby VegasLaw702 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:38 pm

Tough call. If you are set on working in CA, then ASU is a pretty big gamble.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby bk1 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Seems like UCLA/USC have been more forgiving of low GPAs this cycle due to the drop in applicants. What's your GPA? Did you get schollies to UCD/UCH/UCI?

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 09, 2013 7:29 pm

I don't get why someone would actually want to come and work in california.

User avatar
unclepete
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby unclepete » Thu May 09, 2013 7:31 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:I don't get why someone would actually want to come and work in california.


It's not coming to work if you're already here

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 09, 2013 7:33 pm

If that's the case: i don't know why anyone would want to STAY there.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby 005618502 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:If that's the case: i don't know why anyone would want to STAY there.


I get the hate of UCI. But question is why do you hate CA in general so bad? You say you dont get why people want to work there...have said that both berkeley and Irvine are horrible places to live... etc etc. I just dont get it. While the economy there is not great I dont get where you think people should go? Are you only positive about TX? or some other state with a good economy and no state income tax? NYC would be much worse than LA, thats for damn sure.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 09, 2013 7:54 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote: I dont get where you think people should go? .



not california

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby KingFish » Thu May 09, 2013 7:55 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:If that's the case: i don't know why anyone would want to STAY there.


I get the hate of UCI. But question is why do you hate CA in general so bad? You say you dont get why people want to work there...have said that both berkeley and Irvine are horrible places to live... etc etc. I just dont get it. While the economy there is not great I dont get where you think people should go? Are you only positive about TX? or some other state with a good economy and no state income tax? NYC would be much worse than LA, thats for damn sure.

Don't feed the trolls.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 09, 2013 7:56 pm

KingFish wrote:Don't feed the trolls.



You probably don't know crap about what's going on in california.

User avatar
unclepete
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby unclepete » Thu May 09, 2013 7:58 pm

He couldn't get laid while he was here. Our standards are too high.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby 071816 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:05 pm

Gonna be REAL TOUGH to get back to CA from ASU.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3403
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu May 09, 2013 8:07 pm

In your situation, I might just roll the die with Loyola. At least it's in the area and you wouldn't be fucked due to crippling debt. If you lose the scholly, you could just drop out. It wouldn't be life ruining.

Heck, there's a chance I'd be joining you at LMU if my retake is unsuccessful. Or, like me (and everyone else reading this), you could choose to not go to law school.

Since you already got a 167, is there some chance you could try to prep for the June LSAT starting now? Who knows? What if you do get a 172, 173? You're really not that far off.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby 005618502 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:16 pm

unclepete wrote:He couldn't get laid while he was here. Our standards are too high.


:lol:

Good diss....except that (1) girls in CA are on average not that good looking compared with other states (at least the ones I have lived in (TX, NY, VA)) and thats coming from someone who lived in CA the first 19 years of his life. 2 girls in CA are super "easy"

User avatar
unclepete
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby unclepete » Thu May 09, 2013 8:17 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:In your situation, I might just roll the die with Loyola. At least it's in the area and you wouldn't be fucked due to crippling debt. If you lose the scholly, you could just drop out. It wouldn't be life ruining.

Heck, there's a chance I'd be joining you at LMU if my retake is unsuccessful. Or, like me (and everyone else reading this), you could choose to not go to law school.

Since you already got a 167, is there some chance you could try to prep for the June LSAT starting now? Who knows? What if you do get a 172, 173? You're really not that far off.


Ugh, that sounds awful. It's not a bad idea, though

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby 005618502 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:18 pm

unclepete wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:In your situation, I might just roll the die with Loyola. At least it's in the area and you wouldn't be fucked due to crippling debt. If you lose the scholly, you could just drop out. It wouldn't be life ruining.

Heck, there's a chance I'd be joining you at LMU if my retake is unsuccessful. Or, like me (and everyone else reading this), you could choose to not go to law school.

Since you already got a 167, is there some chance you could try to prep for the June LSAT starting now? Who knows? What if you do get a 172, 173? You're really not that far off.


Ugh, that sounds awful. It's not a bad idea, though


OP, I would retake. If you do score over a 170 you could get into much better schools? What is your GPA?

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby goldeneye » Thu May 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Retake. Not a question. You also shouldn't really consider ranking at all, especially ASU's because it's doctored and manipulated.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3403
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: ASU ---> Los Angeles job market?

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri May 10, 2013 1:39 am

unclepete wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:In your situation, I might just roll the die with Loyola. At least it's in the area and you wouldn't be fucked due to crippling debt. If you lose the scholly, you could just drop out. It wouldn't be life ruining.

Heck, there's a chance I'd be joining you at LMU if my retake is unsuccessful. Or, like me (and everyone else reading this), you could choose to not go to law school.

Since you already got a 167, is there some chance you could try to prep for the June LSAT starting now? Who knows? What if you do get a 172, 173? You're really not that far off.


Ugh, that sounds awful. It's not a bad idea, though


Also, this has been done: If you score three or even two points higher, you could also negotiate with Loyola to give you more money. You could be bumped up to a full ride + $500 monthly stipend. I'm sure the admissions at Loyola would jizz in their pants at the prospect of having someone in their school with a 169 or 170. Hell, I'm sure at this point the higher ranked schools would throw more money at you.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], FutureLitigator, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests