Summer Classes to Boost GPA Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ThetaX

Bronze

Summer Classes to Boost GPA

Post by ThetaX » Wed May 01, 2013 1:13 am

Virgin Post. I have a small dilemma that is primarily monetary. As it stands, I am taking 9 credits at a CC over Summer A to boost my GPA to a 3.62. In addition, I will be studying for the LSAT that I am to take in October. That much is decided. Additionally, I could take another 12 credits over Summer B at a state school that offers A+ grades. The classes I will, hypothetically, be taking seem to be at a medium difficult and require a 97% to earn an A+. The 12 credits at the state school will cost a solid $2500+, let alone the extra $1000 from the CC. MY EFC is 0, so money is an issue.

My goal: Duke with $70K+

My question is two fold:
Is the 3.62 to 3.7 boost negligible to pay $3K+ for and risk not having enough time for LSAT prep?

Realistically, would a 3.62 -3.7 increase be worth an extra $10K in scholarships?

Thank you guys!

Addendum: In the Fall, my GPA could increase from 3.62 to 3.7 after Fall Grades are in. Conversely, it could increase from 3.7 to 3.75.
I still plan to apply in November as soon as my Incredible (One can hope) LSAT score comes in.

dietcoke0

Silver

Re: Summer Classes to Boost GPA

Post by dietcoke0 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:42 pm

So you're a Sophomore?

ThetaX

Bronze

Post by ThetaX » Wed May 01, 2013 1:59 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:So you're a Sophomore?
I am a Sophomore Graduating with a History Major / Business Minor in 3 years. Applying to Law schools in Fall.

jtabustos

Bronze

Post by jtabustos » Wed May 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Are you sure you can get A's?

I had a friend who took some community college courses (not to get A's per se, but just b/c of their convenience, cheaper cost, interest in top[ic, etc.) and he said a few of the profs. he encountered made the courses very tough to get an A in.

Just something to keep in mind. It could backfire if you're doing it soley for a GPA boost.

ThetaX

Bronze

Post by ThetaX » Wed May 01, 2013 2:08 pm

jtabustos wrote:Are you sure you can get A's?

I had a friend who took some community college courses (not to get A's per se, but just b/c of their convenience, cheaper cost, interest in top[ic, etc.) and he said a few of the profs. he encountered made the courses very tough to get an A in.

Just something to keep in mind. It could backfire if you're doing it soley for a GPA boost.
I've poured hours into researching every offered class, and can say that the CC classes will be a breeze. The State classes (A+) will not be as easy, but still seem doable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:28 pm

I'm confused about the second Summer then. Sounds like you would only have one summer. And Studying LSAT and gunning for As might be hard at the same time, especially summer courses which SUCK, (although CC, maybe not) Either way, do whatever gives you the highest GPA/LSAT ratio, but remember you have one shot at GPA, you can take multiple LSATs, and you don't have to go to Law School at 21.

ThetaX

Bronze

Post by ThetaX » Wed May 01, 2013 3:13 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:I'm confused about the second Summer then. Sounds like you would only have one summer. And Studying LSAT and gunning for As might be hard at the same time, especially summer courses which SUCK, (although CC, maybe not) Either way, do whatever gives you the highest GPA/LSAT ratio, but remember you have one shot at GPA, you can take multiple LSATs, and you don't have to go to Law School at 21.
I like that. Its one Summer, 2013, just different Terms so classes are only about 7-8 weeks each term. I was just curious if anyone had a similar experience, and if that .08 GPA boost made a significant scholarship difference etc.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:05 pm

I know, but I took summer terms for prereqs I needed on my major. 6 hours (2 classes) and it was hell. It was like 6 hours of class every day, and a shit ton of assignment. Hated it. 9 hours over the summer would be close to 20-22 hours in a regular semester I feel like.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Took 30 creds to boost my gpa over the summer. All easy A's. only 1 class was kinda hard. I took a wide range of math and computer science classes and 2 business classes. So you can pick courses in what you're good at and you'll prob be fine.

ThetaX

Bronze

Post by ThetaX » Thu May 02, 2013 12:03 am

dietcoke0 wrote:I know, but I took summer terms for prereqs I needed on my major. 6 hours (2 classes) and it was hell. It was like 6 hours of class every day, and a shit ton of assignment. Hated it. 9 hours over the summer would be close to 20-22 hours in a regular semester I feel like.
I entirely empathize with your experience. The past summer, I did the exact same thing. Stupid me, I took the classes at my University instead of a CC. DESTROYED my GPA. I could have taken the same classes at a CC and avoided taking anything this upcoming summer altogether. Such is life.
lhanvt13 wrote:Took 30 creds to boost my gpa over the summer. All easy A's. only 1 class was kinda hard. I took a wide range of math and computer science classes and 2 business classes. So you can pick courses in what you're good at and you'll prob be fine.
May I ask what your current GPA stands? What schools are you planning on applying to? Sorry to be so intrusive.

Take into account that in the CC classes will all be online, and essentially easy but I'm sure there will still be busy work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”