lenovo laptops?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby Rahviveh » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:56 am

I ended up getting a zenbook prime for a great price. Lots of good deals out there right now.

shibby
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby shibby » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:07 pm

shibby wrote:Wow, that looks like a great deal. Was thinking about just getting one with a standard HD and installing an SSD myself like you, which could maybe save $100-200, but eh, I'm lazy.


Changed my mind. Replaced original laptop order for one with the basic 320GB hard drive, and sprung for a $200 Crucial 256GB SSD from Amazon. Going to switch them out myself which will save $225. Plus I hear the Lenovo SSDs are pretty underwhelming. Psyched!

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:49 am

shibby wrote:
shibby wrote:Wow, that looks like a great deal. Was thinking about just getting one with a standard HD and installing an SSD myself like you, which could maybe save $100-200, but eh, I'm lazy.


Changed my mind. Replaced original laptop order for one with the basic 320GB hard drive, and sprung for a $200 Crucial 256GB SSD from Amazon. Going to switch them out myself which will save $225. Plus I hear the Lenovo SSDs are pretty underwhelming. Psyched!


smart. But still should have taken my advice. The new Haswell MacBook Air's are out

http://www.apple.com/macbook-air/

shibby
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby shibby » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:59 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
shibby wrote:
shibby wrote:Wow, that looks like a great deal. Was thinking about just getting one with a standard HD and installing an SSD myself like you, which could maybe save $100-200, but eh, I'm lazy.


Changed my mind. Replaced original laptop order for one with the basic 320GB hard drive, and sprung for a $200 Crucial 256GB SSD from Amazon. Going to switch them out myself which will save $225. Plus I hear the Lenovo SSDs are pretty underwhelming. Psyched!


smart. But still should have taken my advice. The new Haswell MacBook Air's are out

http://www.apple.com/macbook-air/


Maybe. They are beautiful. But I'm standing strong with my tricked out, albeit less attractive, PC.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby stillwater » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:02 pm

people who buy lenovo make me SICK

User avatar
rouser
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:23 am

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby rouser » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:02 am

Take the following for what it is...I'm an extremist when it comes to Windows conservatism. The TL;DR is that if you are going to buy a Lenovo and are a typical old-school-type, you really need to either go with a REAL Thinkpad or just succumb to Apple and go with them...
Reality is that all laptop manufacturers in this day are gearing up towards consumers and could give a fuck about anything else...I guess they decided that consumerism is where the $$$ is at.

Also briefly note that Lenovo Thinkpads are not available at any retail stores...have to buy online. Note also that I make a living online in addition to spending 8+ hrs/day on the laptop for law.

Story:
I waited in anticipation for 3 weeks and received my new ThinkPad Edge E431 with i5 processor in the mail today. After 8 hours of use, I would say this is the 2nd worst laptop I have ever encountered. The funny thing is, my ThinkPad T410i was a perfect fit for me. Strange how two ThinkPad models can be polar opposites. This machine is poorly built, has a Mock-Apple clicker which is utterly useless, and the graphics are relatively poor considering the price ($600+ for standard package).

What I find strangest is that Lenovo markets this unit towards "small businesses" yet they copied Mac and included a clicker that has only one button (you cannot do a secondary click without extra effort). In all honesty....what conservative businessperson faithful to Windows would desire such a thing? It's as if Lenovo thinks "small business" is synonymous with "low-productivity". Most people purchasing Lenovo products are conservative Windows users who want products that are everything opposite of Apple. Yet Lenovo chooses to create a ThinkPad which copies Apple's features? I am at a loss for words.......it seems like there's almost no way to find a laptop that suits someone wanting to get work done. I want to believe that I'm just unable to change and that if I try to adapt to these new features, my productivity will be just as it was. But this is not true...I rented an Asus for two weeks with the Apple-style clicker (single click) and it was a nightmare. There's just no way to use the thing at that same level w/o an external mouse. It's just sad because these companies seem to only care about the fashion/style of the laptop...they piss on the actual features that are useful in exchange for good looks...and they all copy Apple. And with Win 8 being an absolute flop, I think this might be the beginning of the death of the traditional PC laptop. We have created an Apple nation where the motto is: dumbed down for a broader audience and higher profits. I just want a laptop that is actually good for getting shit done and isn't trying to make a fashion statement. It's just crazy to think about because I'm 24 and I find almost every laptop to be geared towards a younger crowd...the guys twice my age trying to use these things must be wanting to kill themselves. Apple lovers should not hate me entirely, I love my iPhone. I just think we all could profit from a laptop designed for getting work done rather than one designed with the main priority of looking nice...realize that this is now the norm....laptops are designed to look nice over anything else. Please try to see the problem with this.

User avatar
rouser
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:23 am

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby rouser » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:52 am

Summoning ResolutePear to this thread to help answer the ultimate question: what can a "businessperson" do when laptop manufacturers are putting their full effort into selling to consumers?

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby heythatslife » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:12 am

Ah Thinkpads... This sounds like an extremely shitboomer thing to say but I'll say it: They don't make 'em like they used to.

I have a Thinkpad X60S that I got in 2006. It was made in the twilight days of IBM laptop production, so the parts still bear IBM markings but I bought it from a Lenovo retailer. This thing has been with me to hell and back, including a year in the Arabian deserts. It has survived many, many falls; once, I slammed it onto the tile floor so hard that the battery cracked and had to be thrown away. I gave it up for dead but the machine miraculously survived. I'm still using it today, and I don't plan to replace it until next year at least. In fact, I've grown kinda attached to this thing so I may as well just try to see how much longer I can get out of it before it's dead for good. And to this day, I have yet to lay my hands on a laptop keyboard that was equally as nice to type on.

So, based on my positive experience with my Thinkpad, I recommended my sister that she get a Lenovo last year. How wrong I was to give this advice. Her lapTTTop, an Ideapad, lasted 1.5 years before the display broke.

User avatar
buttes
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby buttes » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:51 am

heythatslife wrote:Ah Thinkpads... This sounds like an extremely shitboomer thing to say but I'll say it: They don't make 'em like they used to.

[blah blah] Her lapTTTop, an Ideapad, lasted 1.5 years before the display broke.

The T series is the only thing worth buying (I admit a complete ignorance of the X series, and whatever they're doing with ultrabooks). Ideapads are not thinkpads, I don't care how they market it. Every law firm I know big enough to have an IT department uses thinkpads. Why? They're the only thing that can survive boomer partners spilling coffee and midlevel associates spilling secret desk booze. The still make thinkpads like they used to, there's just now other shit mixed in.

Lumieres
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby Lumieres » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:56 pm

Which Lenovo laptop is most comparable to the new MacBook Air?

T430U?

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby buddyt » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Lumieres wrote:Which Lenovo laptop is most comparable to the new MacBook Air?

T430U?

Not a T430U. Probably an X1 Carbon. I've been in IT for a while and I just got a T430 for school and it is incredible, I would highly recommend it. Not as sleek as an ultrabook, but I don't care, I want something that's not gonna break.

User avatar
Ded Precedent
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby Ded Precedent » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:I copped a T-530 before I started law school last year and I really like it. Just stick with the T series and customize from the Lenovo site. Wait to buy until you can find some decent deals.

Still stand by this statement. Still love my 530.

Lumieres
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby Lumieres » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:11 pm

What's your take on the new Ideapad U430 with Haswell?

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:41 pm

rouser wrote:Take the following for what it is...I'm an extremist when it comes to Windows conservatism. The TL;DR is that if you are going to buy a Lenovo and are a typical old-school-type, you really need to either go with a REAL Thinkpad or just succumb to Apple and go with them...
Reality is that all laptop manufacturers in this day are gearing up towards consumers and could give a fuck about anything else...I guess they decided that consumerism is where the $$$ is at.

Also briefly note that Lenovo Thinkpads are not available at any retail stores...have to buy online. Note also that I make a living online in addition to spending 8+ hrs/day on the laptop for law.

Story:
I waited in anticipation for 3 weeks and received my new ThinkPad Edge E431 with i5 processor in the mail today. After 8 hours of use, I would say this is the 2nd worst laptop I have ever encountered. The funny thing is, my ThinkPad T410i was a perfect fit for me. Strange how two ThinkPad models can be polar opposites. This machine is poorly built, has a Mock-Apple clicker which is utterly useless, and the graphics are relatively poor considering the price ($600+ for standard package).

What I find strangest is that Lenovo markets this unit towards "small businesses" yet they copied Mac and included a clicker that has only one button (you cannot do a secondary click without extra effort). In all honesty....what conservative businessperson faithful to Windows would desire such a thing? It's as if Lenovo thinks "small business" is synonymous with "low-productivity". Most people purchasing Lenovo products are conservative Windows users who want products that are everything opposite of Apple. Yet Lenovo chooses to create a ThinkPad which copies Apple's features? I am at a loss for words.......it seems like there's almost no way to find a laptop that suits someone wanting to get work done. I want to believe that I'm just unable to change and that if I try to adapt to these new features, my productivity will be just as it was. But this is not true...I rented an Asus for two weeks with the Apple-style clicker (single click) and it was a nightmare. There's just no way to use the thing at that same level w/o an external mouse. It's just sad because these companies seem to only care about the fashion/style of the laptop...they piss on the actual features that are useful in exchange for good looks...and they all copy Apple. And with Win 8 being an absolute flop, I think this might be the beginning of the death of the traditional PC laptop. We have created an Apple nation where the motto is: dumbed down for a broader audience and higher profits. I just want a laptop that is actually good for getting shit done and isn't trying to make a fashion statement. It's just crazy to think about because I'm 24 and I find almost every laptop to be geared towards a younger crowd...the guys twice my age trying to use these things must be wanting to kill themselves. Apple lovers should not hate me entirely, I love my iPhone. I just think we all could profit from a laptop designed for getting work done rather than one designed with the main priority of looking nice...realize that this is now the norm....laptops are designed to look nice over anything else. Please try to see the problem with this.



I Iove this post and also it makes me weep.

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby buddyt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:46 am

Lumieres wrote:What's your take on the new Ideapad U430 with Haswell?

Got my dad a U510 (assuming this is one generation older than the U430 with a 15" screen instead of 14"). It was an abortion. Keyboard felt like crap, whole laptop felt like it was super cheap. And the screen died after about three weeks. Sending it back for a T530.

User avatar
buttes
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby buttes » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:04 pm

buddyt wrote:Got my dad a U510

Wrong.
buddyt wrote: (assuming this is one generation older than the U430 with a 15" screen instead of 14"). It was an abortion. Keyboard felt like crap, whole laptop felt like it was super cheap. And the screen died after about three weeks. Sending it back for a T530.

Correct.

Edit to be less dickish. That wasn't necessarily directed to you, but to Lenovo shoppers in general. The T series is pretty universally solid, but Lenovo as a brand has plenty of losers, including the Ideapad series. Some of the other lines are pretty good, but you're generally going to want to stick with their lines targeted at business, unless you want to put in the research to figure out if their ultrabook or desktop replacement/gaming lines are worth anything.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18408
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Wormfather wrote:I've been eying the Yoga.

Windows RT. No, just no.

Wormfather wrote:Am I a fool?

Yes.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18408
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:45 pm

Wormfather wrote:This post may have just saved me a bunch of money. I had no clue that RT doesn't run non-RT programs.

Yeah, RT runs programs from the Windows app store for the most part but no legacy programs (e.g. Spotify, MS Office, Steam, etc).

Lumieres
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby Lumieres » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:47 pm

I think I'm going with a t430s with a ssd, hopefully under 1k (compared to a new 13 in. MacBook Air, base model).

Any other specs that are a must other than the ssd?

User avatar
buttes
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby buttes » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:48 am

Lumieres wrote:I think I'm going with a t430s with a ssd, hopefully under 1k (compared to a new 13 in. MacBook Air, base model).

Any other specs that are a must other than the ssd?

I've got the T430s as well, and I'd recommend getting the CD bay extra battery, or whatever it's called. Decent battery life already, but I like being able to get through the day without worrying about a charge.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:57 am

T440s should be out before school starts. Any thoughts on them?

jimmy_dean
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby jimmy_dean » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:53 am

sinfiery wrote:T440s should be out before school starts. Any thoughts on them?


hot swappable battery concept is pretty cool. are they sticking with the 1366x768 garbage on the t440s?

holy shit the haswell x1 carbon needs to drop already. question: what's the engineering thought behind soldering ram to the mobo? is it a way for manufacturers to charge upgrade fees?

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:36 pm

jimmy_dean wrote:
sinfiery wrote:T440s should be out before school starts. Any thoughts on them?


hot swappable battery concept is pretty cool. are they sticking with the 1366x768 garbage on the t440s?

holy shit the haswell x1 carbon needs to drop already. question: what's the engineering thought behind soldering ram to the mobo? is it a way for manufacturers to charge upgrade fees?


I saw the X1 carbon in store the other day and its the ugliest laptop in the history of laptops. Even for a thinkpad, its a new level of fugly.

I think I may be forced into getting an Air. I returned my Zen book

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18408
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:42 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:I saw the X1 carbon in store the other day and its the ugliest laptop in the history of laptops. Even for a thinkpad, its a new level of fugly.

I think I may be forced into getting an Air. I returned my Zen book

People seem to like the look of the X1. Granted I haven't seen one in person but I think it looks decent in pictures.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby sinfiery » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:48 pm

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this Sager NP7352 and throwing in my own SSD (it has 2 drive bays so should be easy)

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7352-cle ... figure=yes




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests