lenovo laptops?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Crowing

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby Crowing » Fri May 03, 2013 10:13 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:I can say this, if you want a windows laptop, Lenovo are the best in terms of reliability. There is a reason why they are the only computer manufacturer to not decrease sales numbers in 2013.

What? Since when did Asus, MSI, Sager, etc. stop existing? Lenovo is super popular/widespread here in mainland China but that's no indication of reliability. I'll buy that Lenovo is better than shit like HP and Gateway, but I could probably make a PC out of a broken microwave that works better than an HP.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Sat May 04, 2013 12:01 am

Crowing wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:I can say this, if you want a windows laptop, Lenovo are the best in terms of reliability. There is a reason why they are the only computer manufacturer to not decrease sales numbers in 2013.

What? Since when did Asus, MSI, Sager, etc. stop existing? Lenovo is super popular/widespread here in mainland China but that's no indication of reliability. I'll buy that Lenovo is better than shit like HP and Gateway, but I could probably make a PC out of a broken microwave that works better than an HP ASUS.

New Lenovo lover. Especially after my Asus nightmare. ALERT, do not let Best Buy con you into an Asus.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat May 04, 2013 12:04 am

I picked up a Lenovo before law school and I love it.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat May 04, 2013 12:23 am

One last thing: I like this lenovo laptop, not the brand in general. I don't think that any one "brand" has any meaningful claim to quality. The one exception might be Mac, but you have to spend the price of three computers to assure that quality. Lenovo might be good today, but tomorrow they might decide to cheapen their product.

I've come to the conclusion that a cheap laptop is going to be more durable because the hardware is older and more stable. The battery life is certainly better. Most of what you pay extra for is more sensitive and complex electronic components. Unsurprisingly, those tend to break easier. Having parts that are smaller and cooller should make the computer last longer, particularly in a crammed space like a laptop chasis.

I'm not tech guy though, so if some computer builders want to chime in, feel free.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat May 04, 2013 4:19 am

Crowing wrote:

What? Since when did Asus, MSI, Sager, etc. stop existing? Lenovo is super popular/widespread here in mainland China but that's no indication of reliability. I'll buy that Lenovo is better than shit like HP and Gateway, but I could probably make a PC out of a broken microwave that works better than an HP.

riggght. Same reason why US cars lagged foreign models. People will buy more of a reliable brand than one that is known to cause issues. HP is the worst by far and I will never buy another HP product. Replace "the only" with "a major" in my original post if you will...

But source:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/11/ ... he-crunch/

"The numbers tell the tale. Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) still leads the market, but its worldwide shipments fell by a breathtaking 23% from the first quarter of 2012. U.S. shipments fell by about the same rate. Dell (DELL) saw declines of 10% globally and 14% in the United States. About the only "good" news came from Lenovo (LNVGY), where worldwide shipments remained flat, though growth in the U.S. was in the double digits.

The difference for Lenovo, says Ars Technica's Andrew Cunningham, is that consumers believe it to be a solid and reliable supplier of quality PCs, while HP and Dell are both struggling. "
Last edited by J-e-L-L-o on Sat May 04, 2013 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat May 04, 2013 4:22 am

Scotusnerd wrote:One last thing: I like this lenovo laptop, not the brand in general. I don't think that any one "brand" has any meaningful claim to quality. The one exception might be Mac, but you have to spend the price of three computers to assure that quality. Lenovo might be good today, but tomorrow they might decide to cheapen their product.

I've come to the conclusion that a cheap laptop is going to be more durable because the hardware is older and more stable. The battery life is certainly better. Most of what you pay extra for is more sensitive and complex electronic components. Unsurprisingly, those tend to break easier. Having parts that are smaller and cooller should make the computer last longer, particularly in a crammed space like a laptop chasis.

I'm not tech guy though, so if some computer builders want to chime in, feel free.

Stick to the LSAT

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sat May 04, 2013 4:25 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
Crowing wrote:

riggght. Same reason why US cars lagged foreign models. People will buy more of a reliable brand than one that is known to cause issues (all of them). HP is the worst by far and I will never buy another HP product.

But source:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/11/ ... he-crunch/

"The numbers tell the tale. Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) still leads the market, but its worldwide shipments fell by a breathtaking 23% from the first quarter of 2012. U.S. shipments fell by about the same rate. Dell (DELL) saw declines of 10% globally and 14% in the United States. About the only "good" news came from Lenovo (LNVGY), where worldwide shipments remained flat, though growth in the U.S. was in the double digits.

The difference for Lenovo, says Ars Technica's Andrew Cunningham, is that consumers believe it to be a solid and reliable supplier of quality PCs, while HP and Dell are both struggling. "

I'm not disagreeing with you about Lenovos generally being more reliable than HPs/Dells. You're talking about the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel for quality with those manufacturers though. The point is there are plenty of other reliable manufacturers, and it's senseless to focus solely on Lenovo just because they're more popular.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat May 04, 2013 4:34 am

They are popular for a reason. They last. Business don't spend a ton of money on them because of discounts.

I've been working with computers since I was 10. Had my last PC in 2007. If someone put a gun to my head, I would only get a Lenovo laptop.

http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/be ... -2012.aspx

Have fun w/ that Asus.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat May 04, 2013 4:45 am

Skye

Postby Skye » Sat May 04, 2013 9:01 am

IBM sold their computer line to Lenovo. Truth or urban legend?

Anciano

Postby Anciano » Sat May 04, 2013 9:13 am

Skye wrote:IBM sold their computer line to Lenovo. Truth or urban legend?

Truth. This happened in 2005.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat May 04, 2013 9:43 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:Stick to the LSAT

Oooh, pithy ad hominem attacks. I'm terrified.

You wanna enlighten me?

Anciano

Postby Anciano » Sat May 04, 2013 10:02 am

Scotusnerd wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:Stick to the LSAT

Oooh, pithy ad hominem attacks. I'm terrified.

You wanna enlighten me?

(Disclaimer: I can't speak for him but I think I know what he meant)

Pricier laptops usually cost more because they're faster, manufacturers put more effort into the design, and the construction is more solid. You're right in a way because there is a class of "desktop replacement" laptops built for performance at the expense of battery life, heat, and size. However, reliability, miniaturization, heat dissipation, efficiency, and power savings also cost money, so the cheapest components aren't necessarily the best for stability, size, cooling, or battery life. Also, because component manufacturers tend to release entire families simultaneously, cheaper components on the market aren't necessarily any more time-tested than more expensive ones. This means that a nice ultrabook, for example, will not only be faster and have more storage than a cheap one, it can also be just as reliable, it can be lighter for the same screen size, it might not even need a fan, and it can look better. It can even be more solid because constructing things to tighter tolerances costs more, and materials like aluminum and carbon fiber are sturdier but more expensive than the plastic that most laptops are made of. Obviously manufacturers make tradeoffs on all these dimensions; some of the higher end consumer laptops, for example, might use flimsier material for weight savings. Still, it's definitely not true that cheaper laptops are always more durable or have batteries that last longer.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat May 04, 2013 10:13 am

All right, fair enough. That makes some sense. Thanks!

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat May 04, 2013 11:27 am

Sorry for the tacit response. There was just wayyyy to much conjecture that was so off the mark.

TLS'n after midnite lol

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sat May 04, 2013 9:53 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:They are popular for a reason. They last. Business don't spend a ton of money on them because of discounts.

I've been working with computers since I was 10. Had my last PC in 2007. If someone put a gun to my head, I would only get a Lenovo laptop.

http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/be ... -2012.aspx

Have fun w/ that Asus.

I bought my last Asus in 2007, and it still runs perfectly today, thanks though. I have a newish Clevo atm that has been my main laptop since last year due to needing some more modern specs because I don't have a desktop atm and don't have the proper lifestyle to support it.

One of my best friends has been working with hardware since he was very young, majored in CS, and works in IT at Garmin. He thinks Lenovos suck cock, but that's just one opinion, much like yours or mine are.

I've been fairly active in the online laptop gaming community for many years. You're going to get a wide spectrum of opinions regarding brands. Lenovos have a pretty decent reputation overall, but you're not going to find people pushing them as the best bang for the specs. There are plenty of solid manufacturers out there that are not as well known. Their primary weakness is poor customer support, but that's easily circumvented by going through a builder like Xotic and getting technical support through that service.

TheBiggerMediocre

Postby TheBiggerMediocre » Sat May 04, 2013 11:14 pm

I have an asus I bought for $800 3.5 years ago, it had a hardware defect that I had issues getting replaced for about 9 months and since then it has been perfect even the battery still lasts 80% of what it did 3 years ago.

I think the reason why the quality is so high is because I waited until the laptop was discontinued to buy it. The original price was $1250, obviously I screwed myself on speed and battery life but at least I got the quality of a 1250 for 800. Also I put an SSD in it a while ago and that made the experience even better.

ookoshi

Postby ookoshi » Sat May 04, 2013 11:56 pm

Crowing wrote:One of my best friends has been working with hardware since he was very young, majored in CS, and works in IT at Garmin. He thinks Lenovos suck cock, but that's just one opinion, much like yours or mine are.

I have worked with hardware since I was very young (which btw, doesn't mean shit in this conversation). I majored in CS (which for the most part doesn't mean shit in this conversation). I've worked in IT for 10 years now. I don't need my friends to tell me what I already know, that in an organization with 1000+ employees where 95% of them use Lenovo laptops, we have relatively few hardware issues on the whole. We get new laptops every few years, so over my past 3 years at this company, we've seen a couple thousand Lenovo laptops come through here. There's a reason we still use them, and why we switched from Dell 4 years ago.

I've been fairly active in the online laptop gaming community for many years. You're going to get a wide spectrum of opinions regarding brands. Lenovos have a pretty decent reputation overall, but you're not going to find people pushing them as the best bang for the specs. There are plenty of solid manufacturers out there that are not as well known. Their primary weakness is poor customer support, but that's easily circumvented by going through a builder like Xotic and getting technical support through that service.

The online laptop gaming community is a great resource for buying a great gaming laptop. They are a terrible resource for getting a laptop to use for law school. The needs are completely different. The gaming community would never stop to consider how good of a laptop the Lenovo business line is because the laptops are not designed for gaming. How many frames per second a laptop gets playing latest FPS or MMO is irrelevant to a law student interesting in getting an affordable reliable laptop to do work.

If I were buying a laptop for gaming, I would immediately dismiss every laptop without a dedicated video card, because that's a critical component of a gaming platform. That criteria doesn't mean shit for picking out a law school laptop, and so I would never have exposure to or evaluate the vast majority of laptops on the market, many of which would be great for a law student. This is why I think a person who's experience with computer hardware is limited to gaming platforms is a terrible source of information regarding law school laptops.

Lenovo's consumer line may be hit or miss, but their business line has been great.

But even outside the Lenovo brand. If anyone is trying to get a decent laptop for law school, and do it for as cheap as possible, there is no reason to spend more then $500-600 on something brand new.

chillipepper

Postby chillipepper » Sun May 05, 2013 12:29 am

Crowing wrote:

Laptop gaming is for noobs. Real gamers build their own desktops.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sun May 05, 2013 3:50 am

chillipepper wrote:
Crowing wrote:

Laptop gaming is for noobs. Real gamers build their own desktops.

Yeah, because it's real fun ferrying a desktop around on international trips :roll:

I'm not modding the shit out of Stalker or playing Metro anyway, so it's not like I need Crossfire or SLI.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sun May 05, 2013 3:59 am

ookoshi wrote:
The online laptop gaming community is a great resource for buying a great gaming laptop. They are a terrible resource for getting a laptop to use for law school. The needs are completely different. The gaming community would never stop to consider how good of a laptop the Lenovo business line is because the laptops are not designed for gaming. How many frames per second a laptop gets playing latest FPS or MMO is irrelevant to a law student interesting in getting an affordable reliable laptop to do work.

That's fair, but even if one is not gaming I would assume that more general multimedia specifications like the quality of the display are still important.

If we're only talking about for the true basics like word processing and web browsing, then why not just get a netbook?

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun May 05, 2013 9:46 am

Crowing wrote:That's fair, but even if one is not gaming I would assume that more general multimedia specifications like the quality of the display are still important.

If we're only talking about for the true basics like word processing and web browsing, then why not just get a netbook?

The monetary difference is slight, and the damn things are so small that I can't fit my fingers on them.

Also, not every law school has graduated from CDs or has great internet. I'd rather have options.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Sun May 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
Crowing wrote:That's fair, but even if one is not gaming I would assume that more general multimedia specifications like the quality of the display are still important.

The monetary difference is slight, and the damn things are so small that I can't fit my fingers on them.

Also, not every law school has graduated from CDs or has great internet. I'd rather have options.

Do we really need a CD drive for law school? I'm planning on getting an ultra book without one.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun May 05, 2013 2:28 pm

I can't answer that. I'm not sure about your school and what they're like. You'd have to ask students at the school you're going to.

An Ultrabook is a better bet than a netbook. I think you'll be fine. Take a look at the system requirements for computers on the school website.

The reason I brought up the CD thing is that our internet can be really wonky sometimes. Having a physical CD slot let me do CALI lessons (they were on CD) even though I had no internet access for most of the day. I admit that we don't live in a world that uses CDs that much anymore, but it still has its uses.

Postby 071816 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:31 pm

I've had the T420 for about 2 years now and couldn't be happier with it.

Return to “Law School FAQ”