lenovo laptops?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
dardardelight

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby dardardelight » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Get a Thinkpad T430S (or something comparable with the classic red ballpoint and the unbeatable keyboard) !!

Thinkpads are the best to type on-- and you will no doubt be typing a S**tload during law school. They're durable, dropable, and spill liquids on (able) haha

If you're anti-mac, lenovo thinkpads are the way to go. Plus they look classic as it can get, and are somewhat unique at the same time.

janetdoe

Postby janetdoe » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:43 pm

Though this is a dated original post, I decided to write about specs, as it will still be relevant/useful to people now. Reading the pages of posts, I found that many users would find this useful. There's no need to trash any BRAND per se. It's often the model/specs that aren't doing your needs any justice. Hopefully, this info might help you in your laptop shopping. Cheers ^.^ !

Purchasing Guide -- how to narrow down your search.
1) determine what you NEED the laptop for (will this function as a netbook, ultralight, mainstream notebook, or desktop replacement?)
>> ex of netbook: acer ferrari one, msi wind u110
>> ex of ultralight: macbook air 11" and 13", hp envy 14
>> ex of mainstream notebook: lenovo idea pad y460, lenovo thinkpad t410
2) determine specs necessary
3) determine price ranges you're willing to pay
4) search based on those specs and price ranges. much easier search

ON LENOVOS:
- I have had a custom Lenovo before, and I don't think they're necessarily bad. I believe it was a Lenovo HuronRiver 0682 with a 2nd generation core i7 and 8GB RAM. I have heard many negative things about Lenovos, but at the end of the day, it matters most what's inside your computer and whether that meets your needs.
- If there was a brand I'd avoid for the moment, it would probably be Dell due to the somewhat recent problems with corroding hardware.

ON SPECS:
Here are some things to think about. PROCESSOR versus HARD DRIVE versus RAM/MEMORY.
These components are going to tell you--REGARDLESS OF BRAND--how "fast" and "app/window heavy" the computer can be. What's important to examine here is PROCESSOR and MEMORY.

- A PROCESSORwill tell you multitasking capabilities.
- HARD DRIVE is actually what many people think of as "memory." Storage space is where your pictures, movies, files are saved. 500 GB is standard.
- In a basic/less abstract way, RAM/MEMORY is what allows you to smoothly multitask to your hearts content; this is important for doing anything "intensive," such as playing a game, watching a HD movie (think few GB movies), using image or music editing software, etc.

Here are some examples of what specs fit needs:
- If you would like to watch HD movies, music, surf the internet and have multiple windows and tabs up, have documents open, occasionally game or edit images/videos/music--consider getting a core i7 PROCESSOR and 4-8GB RAM (for gaming and heavy editing, I recommend 8GB).

- If you have a core i7, but just 1-2GB RAM... this is not a great setup; while the i7 says you CAN multitask, the 1GB RAM will limit fluidity.

- That being said, if you just want 1 app open and only want to type on your laptop, you should not get a core i7 or 8GB memory. You will be fine with a core i3 and 2GB memory. What you will instead want to focus on is storage space, making sure there's enough room as you see fit.

What are your needs? What do you want?
- If you are just going to open 1 app, then an i3 might be all you need. If you want to record or listen to music/do something in the background and type, you may want an i5. If you want multiple windows up, multiple apps up, music in the background, and fast typing ability, you should consider an i7. If you want smooth HD video watching, an i7 with 8GB memory is optimal.

- If you want a "fast" computer that rarely freezes and can handle multiple windows/apps open, including heavy-duty apps (such as image/video/music editing apps, or simply multiple internet browsing windows with 20+ tabs each) get a core i7. The standard is a core i5. The basic is a core i3. So the computers you will see on "super sale" that are $250-350 or whatever will likely house a core i3. That's not BAD, but just beware of your needs. Before you start looking for a model, think: what do I want this laptop for? Is it going to be my "everything" computer, or just my "work" computer?

- IF you get the core i7, try to get an 8GB memory. People often try to pair the i7 with a 4GB memory, but with an i7, an 8GB will set you up optimally. As for Lenovo, Lenovo does often has steep sales where you can configure and buy a laptop that has a core i7 and 8GB memory.

FEW RANDOM NOTES:
- I will say that you should try out the Word app on any laptop before purchase. Every keyboard is a little different, hand sizes vary, finger lengths vary, and it's important you get one most comfortable to you.

- ON SSDs: SSD (solid state drive) will make your computer even faster and lighter, but because the technology is new, you will pay a premium for it. It is not necessary for a work computer. It's nice to have for a graphic/video/music-editing or gaming computer.

- The only thing that irked me most about the Lenovo was the graphics card. You cannot custom install a graphics card into most laptops post-purchase, so if you want a high-end visual beast, you'll likely have to either buy one preconfigured that way, or just invest in a nice PC (which will be half the price of a comparable laptop), and buy an ok/portable laptop for work. The graphics card was not BAD, but it just wasn't stellar--which is true of most configurations out there. This was not a primary gaming or graphics editing pc, so that was ok. It didn't impinge on my work.

- Btw Mac displays are not the HIGHEST res out there, which is a common misconception. The MacBook Pros can also get quite heavy, as well (noting this because so many people think Macs = light).

~~~~~~~~~~
If anyone really needs specific laptop help, I'll be more than happy to help out. Just send me a PM, and we'll figure out what works best for your budget and needs.

**edits = bolded brands/names to assist quick navigation
Last edited by janetdoe on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:45 pm

i've always been a lenovo fan but my current thinkpad and a couple others that my friends' have bought seem kinda shittier than they used to be. is it just me or is lenovo pulling the old "cash in on our reputation by slashing costs/quality and hope no one notices" move?

10romeom

Postby 10romeom » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:58 pm

I've just recently bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 for Law school, and I love it. I use it at my internship everyday and it is the bee's knees, couldn't be happier

Return to “Law School FAQ”