lenovo laptops?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
buddyt

Re: lenovo laptops?

Postby buddyt » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Lumieres wrote:Where can I find the best deals on a t430? The Lenovo site? Newegg? Amazon?

I was hoping to purchase a cheaper alternative to the MacBook Air, but it seems like the t430 I want (ssd, 1600x900, 9-cell) is basically the same price...

I got mine from the doorbusters section on the Lenovo outlet. Refurb, i5, 8gb RAM, 1600x900, 6-cell, 500gb HDD for $588. Put in a Samsung 840 120gb SSD for another $100. Less than $700 for a monster of a laptop.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:22 pm

buddyt wrote:
Lumieres wrote:Where can I find the best deals on a t430? The Lenovo site? Newegg? Amazon?

I was hoping to purchase a cheaper alternative to the MacBook Air, but it seems like the t430 I want (ssd, 1600x900, 9-cell) is basically the same price...

I got mine from the doorbusters section on the Lenovo outlet. Refurb, i5, 8gb RAM, 1600x900, 6-cell, 500gb HDD for $588. Put in a Samsung 840 120gb SSD for another $100. Less than $700 for a monster of a laptop.

Great deal, nice.

Best I've found for price is on ebay. T430s can replace the RAM and battery pretty easily if you can't find an exact spec you would want. (~$50 for the RAM, ~$60 for the battery)

Couple examples
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad ... 232d342684
$719 and comes with a dedicated GPU (Although a terrible one), 8gb/9 cell battery + no tax + 1600x900

If you're willing to upgrade the RAM yourself:
On auction @ 415 w/ 1600x900, 4gb ram, 9 cell, dedicated GPU (terrible tho), 256gb SSD
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad ... 3cd3e0434a
$700 w/ 1600x900, 4gb RAM, 128gb SSD, 6 cell battery

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:18 am

I am going to purchase the ideapad yoga 13 for $899 (i5, 4 gb ram, 128 gb ssd, 1600x900).

Walked into an Office Depot and played around with it. Thought it would be perfect for school, plus some leisure like watching movies, surfing the web, etc.

Only wish it had better battery life, and we will see about the fan noise...

Am I a fool?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:27 am

Lumieres wrote:I am going to purchase the ideapad yoga 13 for $899 (i5, 4 gb ram, 128 gb ssd, 1600x900).

Walked into an Office Depot and played around with it. Thought it would be perfect for school, plus some leisure like watching movies, surfing the web, etc.

Only wish it had better battery life, and we will see about the fan noise...

Am I a fool?

I've got the Yoga13 and am happy with it. Still adjusting to the keyboard layout but it is built rather nicely. The screen is very nice and IPS. 900p is likely preferable to some on a 13 inch screen and so it isn't a big deal that it isn't 1080p. The processor is more than enough for most anything you will do and the SSD is rather nice though somewhat small if you are storing music/movies on the laptop.

You can add another mSATA SSD and upgrade the ram to a 1x8GB stick but it is somewhat difficult to do so. I would probably not recommend buying a 4gb laptop if you wouldn't feel comfortable doing this sometime in the future yourself.

The fan can make an annoying noise for some but I haven't had any real issues with this (I notice the sound but it isn't loud, just something you can hear if you tried)

All in all, it's a solid computer on it's own and the "yoga" function adds a whole different dimension that if you find useful, makes this a great purchase. The battery runs a solid 4:30 hours if you aren't doing anything intensive.

You can find factory refurbished models on eBay refurbished for roughly $690 with no tax/shipping I believe if you want to save some money.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:04 pm

Ok. Thanks guys.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:52 pm

If you think you'll be using some harddrive space, I would recommend using this:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloa ... D=DS033035

The way the stock hard drives are partitioned, you have like 60gb out of 128gb usable to you. It's quite absurd. This will restructure things so that you have around 90+gb.

(Depends on what model you are getting too, some already come shipped with this change)

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:02 pm

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Whatever model you buy, be prepared for the battery to crap out in 12-18 months.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:43 pm

kalvano wrote:Whatever model you buy, be prepared for the battery to crap out in 12-18 months.

Yoga or t530?

Is the battery even replaceable on the yoga?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:10 pm

It is (http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Ide ... d-p/977513) though not easily.

sublime wrote:Got the refurbed T530 you found on ebay and it came quick, seems completely new and is pretty much perfect. Thanks again for the help and saving me like 500 bucks sinfiery! :D

Glad it worked out!

kalvano wrote:Whatever model you buy, be prepared for the battery to crap out in 12-18 months.

This was definitely true before but they are always improving battery design and technology. Will be interesting to see how these newer ones play out

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:03 pm

I still reiterate that I think a Lenovo is a poor choice and I would 100% not buy one if I could go back and redo it.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:59 pm

kalvano wrote:I still reiterate that I think a Lenovo is a poor choice and I would 100% not buy one if I could go back and redo it.

Redo to a Mac? I was a Mac user for the last 9-10 years, and felt it was time for change...

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Lumieres wrote:
kalvano wrote:I still reiterate that I think a Lenovo is a poor choice and I would 100% not buy one if I could go back and redo it.

Redo to a Mac? I was a Mac user for the last 9-10 years, and felt it was time for change...

Maybe an Air. More likely an Ultrabook. Samsung Series 9 or something like that. I got tired of lugging around a brick of a laptop that functioned like shit and had terrible battery life even when it was new and now just randomly goes from whatever percent full to 1% in a second and shuts down. As soon as I get my bar results and can get rid of it, it's going in the trash.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Some first thoughts after using the ideapad yoga 13 for a few days:

- touchpad is really tough to use. I find myself accidentally clicking on things all the time.

- web browsing is not an enjoyable experience. I guess this also falls under the trackpad item, but scrolling is not easy.

- feels like solid build quality and I love how thin it is.

- cant open the screen without two hands. Not fun.

- windows 8... First time I have ever used windows 8. Overall, it isn't as bad as I thought, but closing applications by using the touchpad is impossible unless you press down.

- the fan is definitely noticeable. Bothered me a little bit at first, but I'm the type that doesn't mind ambient noise, so it's not so bad.

- I don't know when I will ever use this thing in tablet mode because it is too big to carry around like I do with my iPad, but tent mode is decent if you're at your desk and just want to watch a movie or read notes/articles.

- I'm not well-versed in hardware/pc lingo, but there's a lot of lag for me when I visit websites with lots of embedded videos. Is this due to the video card or ram?

- I do plan on upgrading the ram, ssd and replace battery in a few years, but I do wish it was easier to do. Not that big of a deal.

- estimating the battery life to be between 5-6 hours with my usage preferences. I wanted to avoid carrying a charger to class, but I may need to for emergencies. Definitely not the 8 hours as advertised.

Overall, I kind of wish I just spent the extra money and bought a MacBook Pro, but hopefully this will change as I get more accustomed and familiar with the yoga.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:02 pm

My touchpad experience got exponentially better once I disabled the windows gestures.

I'm actually glad the hinge is a bit on the sturdy side. Given the way the Yoga functions, hopefully this won't wear down.

Not sure about the lag, I've yet to experience any. For day to day activities, there isn't a computer in the world that would be noticeably faster.

Yeah, upgrading seems like a PITA. I'd advise doing the SSD/RAM at once. Gonna try to get some deals this black friday for it.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:51 am

You can set the battery to charge at a maximum of 80%. Theoretically this is supposed to increase the life of the battery - although that kind of takes away a good chunk of your juice on the go.

jimmy_dean

Postby jimmy_dean » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:54 pm

every manufacturer produces lemons. your insistence that a lenovo is somehow an awful choice (despite the fact that IT managers rave about them) is stupid. if you bought a non-thinkpad model, that's your own fault for not spending five minutes on google to figure out that budget notebooks are generally shitty.

by the way, i spoke to a lenovo chat rep yesterday because you can no longer configure an i5 x1 carbon touch with 8gb of ram. he told me they were out of stock and that they're not expecting more. i bet we see haswell before the end of august.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:16 pm

jimmy_dean wrote:

every manufacturer produces lemons. your insistence that a lenovo is somehow an awful choice (despite the fact that IT managers rave about them) is stupid. if you bought a non-thinkpad model, that's your own fault for not spending five minutes on google to figure out that budget notebooks are generally shitty.

by the way, i spoke to a lenovo chat rep yesterday because you can no longer configure an i5 x1 carbon touch with 8gb of ram. he told me they were out of stock and that they're not expecting more. i bet we see haswell before the end of august.

IT managers love them? Fuck me, why didn't you say so earlier? That completely erases all of my negative experiences with my Thinkpad. Shit, I think I'll go buy 3 or 4 more now, based off these IT managed recommendations.

jimmy_dean

Postby jimmy_dean » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:21 pm

kalvano wrote:
jimmy_dean wrote:

IT managers love them? Fuck me, why didn't you say so earlier? That completely erases all of my negative experiences with my Thinkpad. Shit, I think I'll go buy 3 or 4 more now, based off these IT managed recommendations.

or you could categorically advise others to not buy any model from a manufacturer because you had a poor yet isolated experience with a battery.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:28 pm

jimmy_dean wrote:
kalvano wrote:
jimmy_dean wrote:

or you could categorically advise others to not buy any model from a manufacturer because you had a poor yet isolated experience with a battery.

If it's so isolated, how come it's quite well known? I also said I had other issues. Based off my experiences, I wouldn't advise people to buy one, not when there are so many other, better choices out there.

See, that's how this works. People say "oh, what about X product?" and then other people give reasons as to why or why not they should or shouldn't buy X product. If I were looking at a laptop, I'd be way more interested in what people using that laptop for the exact purpose I am going to be using it for have to say, as opposed to phantom IT managers.

People are free to make their own choices, but in a thread specifically asking about Lenovo laptops, I'm not going to say I think they are the bee's knees just to make you happy. Sorry you own stock in Lenovo.

jimmy_dean

Postby jimmy_dean » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Wormfather wrote:I think that when someone rants about their shitty experience with a product, its understood that its anecdotal. No one here thinks that Kalvano's condemnation represents thousands of hours of research and consultations.

Or was he supposed to asterisk his opinion or something?

right, everyone understands that. it's a product review. but the drama queen act is a waste of everyone's time:

Whatever model you buy, be prepared for the battery to crap out in 12-18 months.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:45 pm

jimmy_dean wrote:
Wormfather wrote:I think that when someone rants about their shitty experience with a product, its understood that its anecdotal. No one here thinks that Kalvano's condemnation represents thousands of hours of research and consultations.

Or was he supposed to asterisk his opinion or something?

right, everyone understands that. it's a product review. but the drama queen act is a waste of everyone's time:

Lenovo has charging issues with batteries across a lot of their models. Still not seeing how that's being a "drama queen." Nor all of my, what, 6 or 7 posts in this thread? Oh, the drama! Oh, the queenery! However will you survive with someone daring to say something negative about your stock options laptop of choice?

jimmy_dean

Postby jimmy_dean » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:52 pm

kalvano wrote: your stock options

you're right, i'm very worried about the hordes looking for their next short play on tls.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:45 am

Are the ideapads lighter than the thinkpads? Seems to be some good deals on refurbed ideapads. I mainly just want something very light and something that will get by on basic computing. And also something that doesn't have the sound of an industrial fan blowing through a warehouse in the middle of class. I have another pc for storage/streaming.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:27 pm

Wormfather wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:Are the ideapads lighter than the thinkpads? Seems to be some good deals on refurbed ideapads. I mainly just want something very light and something that will get by on basic computing. And also something that doesn't have the sound of an industrial fan blowing through a warehouse in the middle of class. I have another pc for storage/streaming.

No one will hear your fan in class. The entire time it will be a symphony of 80 students typing.

ffffffff-tsh-tsh-tsh-tsh-tsh-tsh-tsh-tsh-tsh-tsh-tsh...

Would it be frowned upon if I bring a USB desktop keyboard to plug into my laptop? It's a standard desktop keyboard from Dell that is quite large with very loud keys when typing.

Return to “Law School FAQ”