lenovo laptops? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kalvano

Diamond

Re: lenovo laptops?

Post by kalvano » Sun May 05, 2013 5:40 pm

I don't like my Lenovo. It's super solid and I feel like I could use it in place of a soccer ball and it would still work, but it's heavy, clunky, and is slow as shit. It's not poor hardware, mine is equipped fine, it's just never been a very good laptop.

If I could go back and do it again, I'd buy either an Asus or a Macbook Air.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sun May 05, 2013 7:45 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:
Crowing wrote: That's fair, but even if one is not gaming I would assume that more general multimedia specifications like the quality of the display are still important.

If we're only talking about for the true basics like word processing and web browsing, then why not just get a netbook?
The monetary difference is slight, and the damn things are so small that I can't fit my fingers on them.

Also, not every law school has graduated from CDs or has great internet. I'd rather have options.
Do we really need a CD drive for law school? I'm planning on getting an ultra book without one.
Lol I feel like a boomer these days for insisting on optical drives. God knows why; I haven't actually used one in probably 3 years at least but somehow I feel like it's a critical component.

Is this how old people feel when the times change?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun May 05, 2013 8:19 pm

kalvano wrote:I don't like my Lenovo. It's super solid and I feel like I could use it in place of a soccer ball and it would still work, but it's heavy, clunky, and is slow as shit. It's not poor hardware, mine is equipped fine, it's just never been a very good laptop.

Ya I hate bulky laptops. My worst fear about law school would be carrying some 5 pound brick in my backpack every day

That's why I'm waiting for the 13" Samsung series 9 to go on sale. Its 2.5 pounds so I believe its the lightest ultra book out. I'm building a desktop anyways so if I decide I wanna play games I'll have that. And I dont wanna be tempted to play them in class anyways

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0082PZ17C

MAHamlin

Bronze

Post by MAHamlin » Sun May 05, 2013 8:42 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:Add my +1 to the solid state drive recommendation. It uses less power, is less likely to be damaged moving about, and boots up wicked fast.

I can't speak to Lenovos, but I recently purchased a Vaio S-series 13p and love it. I went overboard on the specs and it got pricey, but you can get one for less if you are a little more frugal. It is nice that Sony lets you customize to your heart's content unlike some other manufacturers which force you to pick a pre-specced model. I chose the 13p because it weighs less than 4 pounds and is less than an inch thick, but still packs some serious punch (i7 core, 12gb ram, 2gb gpu, SSD, etc.) and has an optical drive (CD-ROM) unlike ultra books.
Most manufacturers let you customize, including Lenovo. How much did yours cost you?
The laptop itself cost around $1600, so Macbook Pro territory. I also ended up spending another $400 on the three-year fix-it-even-if-your-infant-pours-soda-in-it warranty. I don't want to worry about replacing this thing through law school, and hopefully the money I spent now will mean it won't feel outdated as quickly.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun May 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Do you play video games? 2000 for a laptop is ridiculous...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MAHamlin

Bronze

Post by MAHamlin » Mon May 06, 2013 8:02 am

ChampagnePapi wrote:Do you play video games? 2000 for a laptop is ridiculous...
I do play video games and it is my only computer apart from an ancient Macbook. I'm sure this wasn't the first and won't be the last ridiculous thing I will be associated with. I'll still sleep ok, though.

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Thu May 09, 2013 2:27 pm

kalvano wrote:I don't like my Lenovo. It's super solid and I feel like I could use it in place of a soccer ball and it would still work, but it's heavy, clunky, and is slow as shit. It's not poor hardware, mine is equipped fine, it's just never been a very good laptop.

Very helpful info.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu May 09, 2013 2:30 pm

I've had a thinkpad t410 for about 1.5 years and looking back I regret it

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:52 pm

Damn, I was finally settled on a sub-$500 laptop to buy
(http://www.microcenter.com/product/4026 ... 4AodYFQAzw),

and this thread just ruined it for me. Thanks guys. Now back to computer shopping...which I hate...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tsatorius

New

Post by tsatorius » Sun May 12, 2013 2:35 pm

I will be attending law school this fall. Currently, I work at a pawn store and I have an opportunity to buy an Asus G75 Republic of Gamers laptop that we took in. The thing is a beast, and weighs nearly ten pounds. Am I crazy for thinking of using this for law school?

The laptop had been purchased only one month prior to it being traded in, and I can pick it up for something around $500-$600 range. I am going to be living in a one bedroom apartment, so I like the idea of having something powerful enough for some occasional gaming to provide some entertainment break during law school. However, I am not sure if putting this in the backpack with other books is going to be more of a hassle than what it is worth.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun May 12, 2013 11:49 pm

I would have thrown my bag from a window if I had a 10-pound laptop.

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:01 am

I like that Samsung that CP posted. Little higher than what I want to pay for a computer though. Any idea as to when it will be on sale?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon May 13, 2013 12:18 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:I like that Samsung that CP posted. Little higher than what I want to pay for a computer though. Any idea as to when it will be on sale?
Yeah I don't plan on spending more than $600-700, if that. With Haswell coming out soon you should start seeing a lot of ultrabooks go on sale. Make an alert on slickdeals for it. There was a brand new one going for $600+ tax a couple weeks ago.

I'm still deciding between the Samsung and the Yoga. I'll probably get whichever one goes on sale first.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Tue May 14, 2013 9:48 pm

Finally someone in the know.

Yea at this point you should wait for the Haswell chips. Should get laptops in the 8-10hr range. Plus i3 and i5's will drop in price.

redline380

New

Post by redline380 » Sun May 26, 2013 4:09 am

what do you guys think about this one?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+14 ... cp=1&lp=27

specs seem good to me for the price, not to mention i really really want to try an ssd. 128gb is fine with me. i have the trusty old toshiba for other stuff, plus i have plenty of external space available in case.

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Sun May 26, 2013 4:52 am

redline380 wrote:what do you guys think about this one?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+14 ... cp=1&lp=27

specs seem good to me for the price, not to mention i really really want to try an ssd. 128gb is fine with me. i have the trusty old toshiba for other stuff, plus i have plenty of external space available in case.
you can do better. That's an older model w/ Intel HD 3000 graphics (4000 is the new chipset) . Lenovo website is having a memorial sale till the 29th. Also you can get a student discount through your school.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... ction=init

Do you have a computer now? You might want to wait. Haswell is right around the corner (new Intel chips).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6927/some ... ultrabooks

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Sun May 26, 2013 7:14 am

I copped a T-530 before I started law school last year and I really like it. Just stick with the T series and customize from the Lenovo site. Wait to buy until you can find some decent deals.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun May 26, 2013 7:23 am

Ded Precedent wrote:I copped a T-530 before I started law school last year and I really like it. Just stick with the T series and customize from the Lenovo site. Wait to buy until you can find some decent deals.
+1

Same here (T-530). Its been good to me.

meegee

Bronze

Post by meegee » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:07 pm

This is all anecdotal.

I personally would recommend a Lenovo laptop. For what it's worth, they bought the ThinkPad from IBM a while ago, so they possess the technology used in ThinkPads. That being said, the bottom-of-the-line product of any brand is usually going to be shitty. This is a little off-topic, but when people nonchalantly claim Macs are better than PCs, I can't help but think this misconception stems from the fact that Apple does not sell cheap laptops. Similar quality laptops as the ones sold by Apple run around the same price. Nonetheless, I have used a Mac before (was a "PCer" my whole life, though involuntarily, owned a Mac for a couple of years, broke, and then got a "PC" Asus) and I have enjoyed using Macs. I've used Lenovos before, mainly for school, but my parents both own one as well, and I got to use theirs over the summer. You're not going to pick up chicks with a Lenovo (it isn't as aesthetically pleasing as other laptops), but it gets the job done: "Hay gurl (waves Lenovo laptop), check out this hunk of junk... in my pants."

Dell is shit. I had to use Dells for work and I absolutely abhorred it. I didn't even know HP made laptops (I always thought they just made printers and stuff) until I came to this country, not that that really means anything. Never used a Samsung product but my friend had one, and it was absolute shit as well. However, I have no idea how old his Samsung was, whether it was bottom-of-the-line, mid-ranged, or high-end Samsung laptop, and whether he personally had a stake in how shitty his laptop was (similarly, I didn't know the aforementioned factors about the Dell computers I used during work).

I use an Asus now and I think it's an utter piece of shit. Granted, it wasn't exactly the best Asus available, but it also wasn't the shittiest. I don't know exactly where it falls in the spectrum of high-end and low-end, all I can say is there have been times where I wanted to chuck this laptop out the window.

Used a Toshiba before, but I think it was a really old/shitty model. That shit could barely function. It was nothing more than a glorified clock. Even had problems using Microsoft Word.

Sony Vios = Dog shit. Had several friends (I think at least three) who owned Sony Vios. They looked slick, and seemed cool. After a couple of years, they all went to shit. Lagging + being slow was the norm.

This is all anecdotal, so to be honest, I don't even know how helpful this post would be. Perhaps it would be better to ask some tech/laptop forums and check reviews/specs.

If you're really looking for just a glorified typewriter, why not consider the Chromebook? That's what it essentially is. A pared down laptop slightly better than a tablet.

Lastly, in general, PC laptops are more interchangeable/replaceable in terms of parts. Also I think, in general, cheaper to do so than Macs. PC laptop add-ons are also, in general, cheaper than Macs (and you have a wider array of options).

Finally, some relevant-ish news regarding the computer/laptop industry. Dell's business has really been tanking. That's not to say there haven't been great products that have performed poorly (HTC One comes to mind, as well as Arrested Development), so just take that as you will. Lenovo sales have been great, and I think have always been increasing, but that's because their main market is China, and well, there's a shitload of people in China. Additionally, there's a shitload of people in China acquiring the means/wealth to buy laptops now. I read in some article that interviewed so important dude in Lenovo and they're saying that their main goal now is to make Lenovo a truly global brand with global recognition, and not just some laptop brand "from" and "made in China." Although I was under the distinct impression that all, if not most, of all stuff is made in China (laptops, computers, electronics included).

Huey Freeman

Bronze

Post by Huey Freeman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:09 pm

Nova wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:I copped a T-530 before I started law school last year and I really like it. Just stick with the T series and customize from the Lenovo site. Wait to buy until you can find some decent deals.
+1

Same here (T-530). Its been good to me.
Ditto (T-530).

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:43 pm

How much should I be paying for a decent T series? I'm not paying sticker for school, I'd prefer not to pay sticker for my laptop.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NycReturn

New

Post by NycReturn » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Last edited by NycReturn on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:38 pm

NycReturn wrote:
buddyt wrote:How much should I be paying for a decent T series? I'm not paying sticker for school, I'd prefer not to pay sticker for my laptop.
I just paid $900 (+ tax) for a new T430 from the Lenovo website 2 days ago.

Upgrades over standard ($576):
-256GB Solid State Drive, OPAL SATA3 (+$226)
-Intel Core i5-3230M Processor (3.20GHz, 3MB Cache, 1600MHz) with Intel HD Graphics 4000 (+$24)
-14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display (+$16)
-3 year Norton AntiVirus (+$59)

I plan on using it just for law school so wanted durable, fast, & a good screen.

The extra ~$120 for the T430s with the same upgrades to save .80lbs wasn't worth it to me, but is an option as well (4.77lbs vs. 3.96lbs). I'm also not sure if an SSD will make it lighter or not. The T530 (15.6" screen) would've cost the same, and Lenovo lists its weight at 5.56lbs, but I use a 14" screen on a T420 for work, and I'm happy with it.

I also went with Windows 7 over Windows 8.

I just ordered the T430s. It actually cost about the same as you because I ordered it from the Lenovo outlet. Also went for Windows 7, but opted for a 128GB SSD, which from what I understand, should be plenty. Psyched though, the T430 series seems like an ideal balance of qualities to get through LS.

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Just pulled the trigger on a refurb T430 off the Lenovo outlet for $588:
  • Intel® Core™ i5-3320M Processor (3M Cache, 2.60 GHz)
    Windows 7 Professional 64 - English
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    8GB (2 X 4GB) PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM SODIMM Memory
    14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlight w/720p HD Camera
    UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
    500GB, 7200RPM Serial ATA 2.5" Hard Drive
    DVD Recordable Serial ATA
    6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (Up to 7 Hours Run Time)
    11b/g/n Wi-Fi wireless
    No Bluetooth
    Integrated Wireless Wide Area Network upgradable
    No Fingerprint Reader
    1 Year Standard Depot Warranty
    Laptop - Black
Probably gonna throw a 128GB SSD in it. Excited to cross "get a laptop" off my list.

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:02 pm

Wow, that looks like a great deal. Was thinking about just getting one with a standard HD and installing an SSD myself like you, which could maybe save $100-200, but eh, I'm lazy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”