Thanking Your Recommenders

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lawschoolwoohoo

Thanking Your Recommenders

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:25 pm

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but I was just wondering what kind of gifts to your recommenders, specifically professors, but really any reccomender will do. Does anyone have any suggestions? I had three professors write me reccomendations for this cycle, but since I had all of them this semester, did not want to get them anything until the semester was over so it didn't seem like a "bribe" for my grades. So, does anyone have any suggestions? What would be appropriate? Did you guys get your recommenders anything?

jump_man

Re: Thanking Your Recommenders

Postby jump_man » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:46 pm

You can never go wrong with a nice thank you card. I've given some of my recommenders small gifts in the $5-$10 (e.g. a gift card to the local coffee shop), but I know that professors at some public universities are not allowed to accept gifts from students that have a monetary value.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:19 am

One of my recommendations was written by my boss, who's a pretty informal guy, on extremely short notice--one of my original recommenders strung me along and then flaked out about three days before I was hoping to get my applications in; when I asked my boss he knocked it out before the end of the day--so I bought him a bottle of Johnny Walker Black. The other, a professor on a longer time frame, will probably get a decent bottle of wine.

Note: I wouldn't recommend this unless you know your recommenders imbibe. Last thing you want to do is buy a bottle to "thank" a Mormon or a recovering alcoholic.

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:32 am

I was thinking mug of the school I'm attending and some quality coffees/teas. Too much?

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:34 am

dsn32 wrote:I was thinking mug of the school I'm attending and some quality coffees/teas. Too much?

I was planning on a coffee mug too.

DavidHasselhoff

Postby DavidHasselhoff » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:00 am

Purchase some (nice) paraphernalia from the school who accepted you, and you will attend, and send it to them with a "thank you" note.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:41 am

Another reason I am thankful for TLS. I called and said thanks to each as soon as I knew where I was going, but wasn't planning on doing anything more until right now. They would both probably love a mug or something, great idea and I consider it a character flaw on my part that I was not going to get them a gift.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:26 am

Micdiddy wrote:Another reason I am thankful for TLS. I called and said thanks to each as soon as I knew where I was going, but wasn't planning on doing anything more until right now. They would both probably love a mug or something, great idea and I consider it a character flaw on my part that I was not going to get them a gift.

As you should.

M458

Postby M458 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:57 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Another reason I am thankful for TLS. I called and said thanks to each as soon as I knew where I was going, but wasn't planning on doing anything more until right now. They would both probably love a mug or something, great idea and I consider it a character flaw on my part that I was not going to get them a gift.

As you should.

Every one of your posts is just that much better because of your avatar.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:34 pm

I sent them a card after they sent the letters in, and I got them each a mug from the school they helped me get into. Delivering them tomorrow, actually, and pretty excited about it.

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:39 pm

dsn32 wrote:I was thinking mug of the school I'm attending and some quality coffees/teas. Too much?

I like this.

Return to “Law School FAQ”