Law School Opens Law Firm

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
justonemoregame

Law School Opens Law Firm

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:26 am

http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/a ... cent-grads

Short article on ASU's new Alumni Law Group, a non-profit firm which anticipates hiring about 10 grads each year, for terms up to 3 years. Although I get tired of reading about the "innovative experiential learning environments" law schools are creating, this seems interesting. Seems like many law schools would have the resources and incentive to start these up.

droves

Sheffield

Re: Law School Opens Law Firm

Postby Sheffield » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:38 am

Good get. No mention of compensation. I suppose those applying are looking for any port in the storm. Figure the lateral rate could potentially be high, leaving room for others. In any case. glad to see that [some] schools are finally becoming creative.

Not that it matters, wonder what (if anything) local firms might feel about this.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:42 am

I actually think this is a fantastic idea.....hope other schools adopt it

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:43 am

IIRC, their "legal services to clients, focusing on those who cannot afford to pay current market rates" cost $125/hr. So that's cool.

I dunno. On the one hand, it's good that people have a way to get experience if they can't find a job. On the other, this reeks of gaming the system (look, nearly all of last year's graduates are employed in a firm of 25 or more employees!) and in the process raking in money for the school. I'd be more in favor of it if they were providing pro bono or extremely low-fee legal work.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:44 am

NanaP wrote:I actually think this is a fantastic idea.....hope other schools adopt it

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:48 am

IAFG wrote:
NanaP wrote:I actually think this is a fantastic idea.....hope other schools adopt it

Agreed. Pretty cool idea.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:46 am

nickb285 wrote:IIRC, their "legal services to clients, focusing on those who cannot afford to pay current market rates" cost $125/hr. So that's cool.

I dunno. On the one hand, it's good that people have a way to get experience if they can't find a job. On the other, this reeks of gaming the system (look, nearly all of last year's graduates are employed in a firm of 25 or more employees!) and in the process raking in money for the school. I'd be more in favor of it if they were providing pro bono or extremely low-fee legal work.

I'd call them out on gaming the system if they were 9 month terms. Three years is a lot more legit.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:51 am

True. And don't get me wrong, were I an unemployed ASU grad I'd take one of those jobs in a heartbeat. Beats the shit out of not having a job at all. I'm just suspicious of law schools doing things that make them sound good in the press.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:06 pm

nickb285 wrote:True. And don't get me wrong, were I an unemployed ASU grad I'd take one of those jobs in a heartbeat. Beats the shit out of not having a job at all. I'm just suspicious of law schools doing things that make them sound good in the press.

I think being skeptical is healthy, but at the same time, with enrollment WAY down, it could be just good ol' capitalist competition. Provide a better product, get better consumers. Schools can be selfish and still do good things.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:14 pm

IAFG wrote:

Return to “Law School FAQ”