Law School Opens Law Firm

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Law School Opens Law Firm

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:26 am

http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/a ... cent-grads

Short article on ASU's new Alumni Law Group, a non-profit firm which anticipates hiring about 10 grads each year, for terms up to 3 years. Although I get tired of reading about the "innovative experiential learning environments" law schools are creating, this seems interesting. Seems like many law schools would have the resources and incentive to start these up.

droves

User avatar
Sheffield
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:07 am

Re: Law School Opens Law Firm

Postby Sheffield » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:38 am

Good get. No mention of compensation. I suppose those applying are looking for any port in the storm. Figure the lateral rate could potentially be high, leaving room for others. In any case. glad to see that [some] schools are finally becoming creative.

Not that it matters, wonder what (if anything) local firms might feel about this.

NanaP
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Re: Law School Opens Law Firm

Postby NanaP » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:42 am

I actually think this is a fantastic idea.....hope other schools adopt it

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Law School Opens Law Firm

Postby nickb285 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:43 am

IIRC, their "legal services to clients, focusing on those who cannot afford to pay current market rates" cost $125/hr. So that's cool.

I dunno. On the one hand, it's good that people have a way to get experience if they can't find a job. On the other, this reeks of gaming the system (look, nearly all of last year's graduates are employed in a firm of 25 or more employees!) and in the process raking in money for the school. I'd be more in favor of it if they were providing pro bono or extremely low-fee legal work.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Law School Opens Law Firm

Postby IAFG » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:44 am

NanaP wrote:I actually think this is a fantastic idea.....hope other schools adopt it

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Law School Opens Law Firm

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:48 am

IAFG wrote:
NanaP wrote:I actually think this is a fantastic idea.....hope other schools adopt it

Agreed. Pretty cool idea.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Law School Opens Law Firm

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:46 am

nickb285 wrote:IIRC, their "legal services to clients, focusing on those who cannot afford to pay current market rates" cost $125/hr. So that's cool.

I dunno. On the one hand, it's good that people have a way to get experience if they can't find a job. On the other, this reeks of gaming the system (look, nearly all of last year's graduates are employed in a firm of 25 or more employees!) and in the process raking in money for the school. I'd be more in favor of it if they were providing pro bono or extremely low-fee legal work.

I'd call them out on gaming the system if they were 9 month terms. Three years is a lot more legit.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Law School Opens Law Firm

Postby nickb285 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:51 am

True. And don't get me wrong, were I an unemployed ASU grad I'd take one of those jobs in a heartbeat. Beats the shit out of not having a job at all. I'm just suspicious of law schools doing things that make them sound good in the press.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Law School Opens Law Firm

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:06 pm

nickb285 wrote:True. And don't get me wrong, were I an unemployed ASU grad I'd take one of those jobs in a heartbeat. Beats the shit out of not having a job at all. I'm just suspicious of law schools doing things that make them sound good in the press.

I think being skeptical is healthy, but at the same time, with enrollment WAY down, it could be just good ol' capitalist competition. Provide a better product, get better consumers. Schools can be selfish and still do good things.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Law School Opens Law Firm

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:14 pm

IAFG wrote:
NanaP wrote:I actually think this is a fantastic idea.....hope other schools adopt it




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests