Letter of Rec for Yale?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Letter of Rec for Yale?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:34 pm

How much would a letter of recommendation from a professor of mine who taught at Yale (Until this year) matter? I am assuming not much? I have taken 2 courses with him, and received A's. (Pending the final)

Thanks

User avatar
Grazzhoppa
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:00 am

Re: Letter of Rec for Yale?

Postby Grazzhoppa » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 pm

it might mean a lot if he was fired or something.

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Letter of Rec for Yale?

Postby txdude45 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:57 pm

GregoryADevine wrote:How much would a letter of recommendation from a professor of mine who taught at Yale (Until this year) matter? I am assuming not much? I have taken 2 courses with him, and received A's. (Pending the final)

Thanks


If it was Yale law, it will give them a nice bit of context, but I'm assuming you mean UG. It won't matter. You're not gonna get a bump because a recommender of yours is a former Yale prof (unless he's an academic heavyweight and talks about how you're better than all his Yale kids). Imagine the admissions process if people started choosing recommenders only after reviewing their resume for HYP teaching gigs.

The guy gave you two A's, so he obviously liked your work and thought you a smart dude. That will matter 1000% more than where he used to teach.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Letter of Rec for Yale?

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:53 pm

Won't matter at all.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Letter of Rec for Yale?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:11 pm

txdude45 wrote:
GregoryADevine wrote:How much would a letter of recommendation from a professor of mine who taught at Yale (Until this year) matter? I am assuming not much? I have taken 2 courses with him, and received A's. (Pending the final)

Thanks


If it was Yale law, it will give them a nice bit of context, but I'm assuming you mean UG. It won't matter. You're not gonna get a bump because a recommender of yours is a former Yale prof (unless he's an academic heavyweight and talks about how you're better than all his Yale kids). Imagine the admissions process if people started choosing recommenders only after reviewing their resume for HYP teaching gigs.

The guy gave you two A's, so he obviously liked your work and thought you a smart dude. That will matter 1000% more than where he used to teach.


Thanks guys! I figured as much but wasn't 100% sure... Well either way he seems like he would write a good rec

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Letter of Rec for Yale?

Postby LexLeon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Ceteris paribus, it would definitely help.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2159
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Letter of Rec for Yale?

Postby Barack O'Drama » Fri May 10, 2013 2:18 am

LexLeon wrote:Ceteris paribus, it would definitely help.



Thanks man! I figured it can't hurt? Who knows with Yale anyways...

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Letter of Rec for Yale?

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri May 10, 2013 3:11 am

GregoryADevine wrote:
LexLeon wrote:Ceteris paribus, it would definitely help.



Thanks man! I figured it can't hurt? Who knows with Yale anyways...


Well, it depends. If the letter doesn't add more to your application/show another side of you, Asha will be like, "why did he send this to us?" and if the answer she comes up with is that the prof is from yale, i would imagine that she wouldn't look favorably upon it... or she would cuz it shows that you went the extra mile. Just saying, there's a possibility that it could hurt, and hurt good

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Letter of Rec for Yale?

Postby Ti Malice » Sat May 11, 2013 2:34 pm

GregoryADevine wrote:
LexLeon wrote:Ceteris paribus, it would definitely help.



Thanks man! I figured it can't hurt? Who knows with Yale anyways...


Lex is virtually always wrong. Ignore that post.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Letter of Rec for Yale?

Postby dr123 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Their relationship with you is what makes a strong recommendation, not their "qualifications"




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest