Reconsidering scholarships after 1L

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
magp90

Reconsidering scholarships after 1L

Postby magp90 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:54 pm

Is it possible/common for students to request more merit scholarships if they do well after their first year?

kalvano

Re: Reconsidering scholarships after 1L

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Can't hurt to ask.

oaken

Postby oaken » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:42 pm

anecdotally heard of a lower t14 student who was first in class (or close) and got full tuition after essentially threatening to transfer out to yale

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:52 pm

oaken wrote:anecdotally heard of a lower t14 student who was first in class (or close) and got full tuition after essentially threatening to transfer out to yale

A few stories like this seem to be true according to some threads in the Transfers forum.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:30 pm

I definitely wouldn't just wander in and ask. Have some leverage, get a transfer lined up, that sort of thing.

magp90

Postby magp90 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:49 pm

Fair enough. Thanks guys!

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Counterplan: Retake the LSAT in June, insist on more money or threaten to withdraw and reapply next cycle.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:08 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Counterplan: Retake the LSAT in June, insist on more money or threaten to withdraw and reapply next cycle.

Much better plan.

OP, I thought for a moment (as did other posters, I think) that you already had super-strong 1L fall grades and were considering possible options for after spring exams were over. But, of course, you're not even in law school. Thinking that this is a viable plan as a 0L is every bit as wrongheaded as attending a school you're not happy with because you plan to transfer. It's a hell of a lot easier to do well on the LSAT than to be top 10% in your law school class.

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:15 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Counterplan: Retake the LSAT in June, insist on more money or threaten to withdraw and reapply next cycle.

Much better plan.

OP, I thought for a moment (as did other posters, I think) that you already had super-strong 1L fall grades and were considering possible options for after spring exams were over. But, of course, you're not even in law school. Thinking that this is a viable plan as a 0L is every bit as wrongheaded as attending a school you're not happy with because you plan to transfer. It's a hell of a lot easier to do well on the LSAT than to be top 10% in your law school class.

magp90

Postby magp90 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:22 pm

Ti Malice wrote:

Much better plan.

Dude, I'm not considering it, it's just a question. I'm not one of those people who assumes I'll be above X% of the class or who goes somewhere I'm unhappy about with the intention of climbing up and out, so go crawl up someone else's ass. But thanks for your invaluable opinion.

Return to “Law School FAQ”