For Money or Passion - Motivation to Attend Law School?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

For Love or Money?

Love
42%
Money
58%

Total votes: 92

scifiguy

Re: For Money or Passion - Motivation to Attend Law School?

Postby scifiguy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:59 pm

KremeCheez wrote:Are we kinda just assuming Money = Power?

I don't equate the two as being the same.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:03 pm

DougieFresh wrote:I think perhaps a compelling question would be, for those who chose love: what is your plan to build a career that incorporates your values?

I'm not sure that love of the law necessarily requires "a career that incorporates your values."

I meant, in my OP, love of the work of practicing the law similar to how a person might love doing math and become an actuary. There wasn't any implicit concerns about values being thrown into the equation if that's how you were thinking about it.

jwinaz

Postby jwinaz » Thu May 30, 2013 1:34 am

I was thinking about this the other night when seeing a few friends finishing up college, some just starting and thinking about majors, and also reflecting back on some of the career choices of others I've known since their graduation some years prior.

One thing that people often complain about is the lack of deep passion they have for what they do. It bothers some more than others. I suspect that there may be a correlation between the level of discontent and the degree to which they do have some interest in their field of work. But, also, it may be related to personality traits as well, where some individuals seem to just need that passion and interest in what they do more than others. Nevertheless, in going over in my head some of these people's backgrounds, I noticed (in my very limited sample size population of friends) that many of the ones who felt that way had chosen what they thought would be "safe" careers. These were careers they figured they could find a job in and that paid decently most of the time. But they weren't necessarily careers that fulfilled some of their deep passions and interests (and, actually, I think some may not have even discovered what those passions were until later in life...which can be another topic of discussion).

But another factor that seemed to motivate their career choice was a seeming desire to settle down into stability and a certain expected lifestyle. This somewhat goes back to the "safe" choice thing. But it also speaks to people's desire for a certain envisioned lifestyle. Some wanted a home and to be married within x years. They figured the pay from their work would allow that. Others wanted to be around their friends in a particular geographic location doing some of the same things with them they had been doing and liked. And I speculate that
Last edited by jwinaz on Thu May 30, 2013 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

jwinaz

Postby jwinaz » Thu May 30, 2013 1:56 am

*continued from above*

they also believed that their non-work life and activities would be fulfilling enough to them to offset any of the lack of passion they had in their work life. But over time, I did see many people question their decisions and express displeasure about the work they did (some more than others). This seemed particularly acute when they watched their friends or others they knew pursue certain passions and become successful and seemingly fulfilled over them, or it would happen when their personal/social lives didn't go as planned and they felt both dissatisfaction with their work and their personal lives.

Where am I going with this? I don't know. :D I'm just typing stream-of-consciousness right now. But one thought that does come to mind is that people should factor into their career decisions how happy they would be doing a particular sort of work and whether or not it does hold their interest. It seems common-sensical, but yet many people probably do not do it enough. I just thought about how much time is literally spent of one's life doing a particular job compared to all other activities. And even the most typical of jobs requires 40 hours a week of work at 8 hours /day. The majority of one's entire day will be spent on that activity during the work week with maybe a few hours of actual concentrated face time with loved ones and friends afterwards. And while weekends might presumably be free, there are always little things that suck up time and focus from things you may wish and prefer to be doing outside of work and family. There are those trips to the auto-mechanic, doctor's appointments, meetings with financial advisors, home cleaning and repairs (which I hate!), and so on and so forth.

Passion and interest in a person's work can really seem underrated.

....Let me finish and add more next time....but just putting some thoughts out there late tonight.

Return to “Law School FAQ”