Is this true?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Throttle

Re: Is this true?

Postby Throttle » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:51 pm

rad lulz wrote:
sainthawk29 wrote:I find that doom and gloom posters focus their experiences on BigLaw. If you want to work in BigLaw, Yes T14 is helpful.

Remember, that even 30 percent of Cooley graduates (not to bash on Cooley) have jobs coming out of school. If you work hard and graduate in the top half of any school, you will most likely have a job after school, or close to it. It all depends on what you want to do, and more importantly where you want to practice. If you want to practice family law in Nebraska, there is no reason to go to a T14 (unless you really want to).

lol

Why are you laughing? Sainthawk makes a valid point. To add, If ppl who are attending T14's are striking out, why is the TLS echo chamber still yelling go to a T14 or don't go to law school. Cooly has even show that if you go to law school and get top 20% you'll have a shot at work.

I think the new mantra of TLS needs to be " if you arent top 20% after 1L you should drop out".

Throttle

Postby Throttle » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:54 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
sainthawk29 wrote:I find that doom and gloom posters focus their experiences on BigLaw. If you want to work in BigLaw, Yes T14 is helpful.

Remember, that even 30 percent of Cooley graduates (not to bash on Cooley) have jobs coming out of school. If you work hard and graduate in the top half of any school, you will most likely have a job after school, or close to it. It all depends on what you want to do, and more importantly where you want to practice. If you want to practice family law in Nebraska, there is no reason to go to a T14 (unless you really want to).

lol

I'm just going to say that I recently had a conversation with the partners at the firm I work at as a paralegal which is small (less than 15 attorneys) thathandles estates and probate who decided AGAINST hiring the #1 student in the graduating class from a regional tertiary market's TTTT because they didn't want someone from "that school" working here. This attitude is not uncommon by any means.

This kid is a 3L less than a month from graduation who is being turned down from positions all over the state, #1 in his class. I'm thinking you don't really know what you're talking about.

Since when the f is less than 15 attorneys biglaw?

Edit: I ask that because who gives a shit if they won't hire him. He can clerk and work his way up. Or he can go do shit law or he can keep looking for a big law job. The point is if you do well in law school you will have options and most likely get a job (unless you are aspie, and at #1, I'd like think most will look past that)
Last edited by Throttle on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainLeela

Postby CaptainLeela » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Throttle wrote:
CaptainLeela wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

lol

I'm just going to say that I recently had a conversation with the partners at the firm I work at as a paralegal which is small (less than 15 attorneys) thathandles estates and probate who decided AGAINST hiring the #1 student in the graduating class from a regional tertiary market's TTTT because they didn't want someone from "that school" working here. This attitude is not uncommon by any means.

This kid is a 3L less than a month from graduation who is being turned down from positions all over the state, #1 in his class. I'm thinking you don't really know what you're talking about.

Since when the f is less than 15 attorneys biglaw?

It's not, nor was that what I was trying to say. But you if tried reading a little more carefully, you would note that the previous poster said that if you work hard and graduate in the top half of your class at ANY school you will "most likely" have a job after you graduate. That is completely untrue for many people

magp90

Postby magp90 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Throttle wrote:To add, If ppl who are attending T14's are striking out, why is the TLS echo chamber still yelling go to a T14 or don't go to law school. Cooly has even show that if you go to law school and get top 20% you'll have a shot at work.

I think the new mantra of TLS needs to be " if you arent top 20% after 1L you should drop out".

This is an interesting point. Obviously what kind of law someone wants to practice must absolutely be taken into consideration, it is true that being at the top of your class at a decent school could be more of a secure place to be than at the bottom of the class at a T14. (And I'm not talking included 'schools' such as Cooley, etc.) The anti-stip mentality that courses through the TLS scholarship negotiation threads would read completely differently if people realized that being just in the top 75% of their class isn't something to shoot for and that they should probably just reconsider their career if they're in the bottom quarter -- scholarship or not.

sainthawk29

Postby sainthawk29 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:42 pm

I never said top half would get you a cush job, or big law. But if you are looking regionally there are jobs out there. Yes, it might be shit law. But a job is a job. I never qualified the degree of the job.

TTTT schools are still placing 30-40% of their graduates in jobs.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:58 pm

CaptainLeela

Postby CaptainLeela » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:59 pm

sainthawk29 wrote:I never said top half would get you a cush job, or big law. But if you are looking regionally there are jobs out there. Yes, it might be shit law. But a job is a job. I never qualified the degree of the job.

TTTT schools are still placing 30-40% of their graduates in jobs.

You're right. A job is a job. But when have you a job with no benefits (right down to being a 1099 "employee") where when you do the math you're making less than minimum wage and you have 6 figures of non-dischargable debt that reality gets really ugly, really quickly.

The pessimism here is not unwarranted. There's a reason people are panicked. I can think of one person I know who has been practicing for more than a year out of tier 3/4 schools who says if she could do it again she would. One. Out of maybe 25 I've had this conversation with.

And I'm speaking only to my regional market, which I thought I said originally. If you want to take the collective anecdata of hundreds of people here, the actual data accumulated through places like LST & Above the Law and ignore it, that's fine; but the market is brutal and people are extremely reluctant to enter law because unless a lot of things swing your way, it is an enormous risk, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Return to “Law School FAQ”