Law Schools in the South

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hoogs23

Law Schools in the South

Postby hoogs23 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:15 pm

I don't know if this in a forum somewhere else, but this is an article on the best law schools in/for the south.

--LinkRemoved--

I was wondering are the schools not on there, just not considered or not good enough to make the list? Ex) William & Mary, Florida State

ArchieHicox

Re: Law Schools in the South

Postby ArchieHicox » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Only schools for which we have sufficient survey responses will appear below.

The results are from a survey of students and doesn't factor in LSAT, GPA, etc. Not that it isn't interesting but its much more liable to sample bias than rankings that use hard data.

Presumably, William & Mary, Florida State, LSU, etc. didn't have enough responses to be included in the results.

I'm not sure what to make of the rankings.... Miami is widely considered to be a joke but its ranked above Alabama and Georgia (both USNWR Top 35 schools)??? Some of those schools have awful employment numbers too.

hoogs23

Postby hoogs23 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:29 pm

ha-ri wrote:

The results are from a survey of students and doesn't factor in LSAT, GPA, etc. Not that it isn't interesting but its much more liable to sample bias than rankings that use hard data.

Presumably, William & Mary, Florida State, LSU, etc. didn't have enough responses to be included in the results.

I'm not sure what to make of the rankings.... Miami is widely considered to be a joke but its ranked above Alabama and Georgia (both USNWR Top 35 schools)??? Some of those schools have awful employment numbers too.

alright that makes sense. thanks

glebe

Postby glebe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:07 pm

It seems inappropriate to consider George Mason Law part of 'the South'. Same thing with Miami. University of Virginia is borderline at most.

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:24 pm

hoogs23 wrote:
ha-ri wrote:

alright that makes sense. thanks

Except it doesn't. This isn't a replacement for the USNWR rankings, nor is it a replacement for LST; it's a snapshot into the student experience at these law schools.

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:29 pm

glebe wrote:It seems inappropriate to consider George Mason Law part of 'the South'. Same thing with Miami. University of Virginia is borderline at most.

+1

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:33 pm

where's UT? Not considered South?

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:56 am

ha-ri wrote:

What's confusing about the "rankings?" The survey asks students to rate the school they're currently at. It's not a snapshot of overall opinions but rather of what people think of their own school.

scruffy556

Postby scruffy556 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:22 pm

crit_racer wrote:where's UT? Not considered South?

I think I can speak for most southerners in saying we don't claim Texas.

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:20 pm

scruffy556 wrote:
crit_racer wrote:where's UT? Not considered South?

I think I can speak for most southerners in saying we don't claim Texas.

And Texas doesn't claim us.

tony2167

Postby tony2167 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:52 am

Yeah Texas is a separate beast, it's not the south.

glebe wrote:It seems inappropriate to consider George Mason Law part of 'the South'. Same thing with Miami. University of Virginia is borderline at most.

I agree about GMU, Mason grads rarely stray further south than NoVA. UVA, however, is definitely in the south. Ever been out to Charlottesville? I'd say the central and western parts of VA are pretty southern.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:54 am

tony2167 wrote:Yeah Texas is a separate beast, it's not the south.

I agree about GMU, Mason grads rarely stray further south than NoVA. UVA, however, is definitely in the south. Ever been out to Charlottesville? I'd say the central and western parts of VA are pretty southern.

True dat. My high school legit referred to the Civil War as the war of northern aggression/the late unpleasantness without a hint of irony.

Return to “Law School FAQ”