Leaving an internship

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Barack O'Drama

Leaving an internship

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:17 pm

I'm a 0L with an internship at this historical museum by my school. I've been there for about a 6 weeks now, and for numerous reasons would like to leave. Namely, a better opportunity that pays more, and is a better fit. Just wondering how you guys would handle this? What should I tell the director of the museum? I would like to be polite, however, while staying clear that I am moving on... The only jobs I have ever had to leave were due to summer ending/school beginning which was known from the beginning (by the employer). This will be my first time really leaving a job/internship. I am worried she (The director) will be pretty angry, because they need slave labor (Interns) badly.

Thanks in advance guys

hephaestus

Re: Leaving an internship

Postby hephaestus » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Tell the director you found another internship that leads to better chances of post-grad employment or something,and that while you really appreciate the experience you have received, you need to take this opportunity.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Tell the director you found another internship that leads to better chances of post-grad employment or something,and that while you really appreciate the experience you have received, you need to take this opportunity.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Thank you, sounds reasonable. I have this stupid fear of letting people down I need to get over.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:45 am

The fact of the matter is, if he is paying you nothing and is making you do busy work, he really has no right to be upset about you leaving. That being said, I would just add try to give him as much notice as possible in order to be polite and professional- good luck!

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:57 pm

jetsfan1 wrote:The fact of the matter is, if he is paying you nothing and is making you do busy work, he really has no right to be upset about you leaving. That being said, I would just add try to give him as much notice as possible in order to be polite and professional- good luck!

Thank man, appreciated! I'm going to tell them before the end of the month, just need to secure this next position more definitely.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:02 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Tell the director you found another internship that leads to better chances of post-grad employment or something,and that while you really appreciate the experience you have received, you need to take this opportunity.

+ 1 and give two weeks like a normal job.

Return to “Law School FAQ”