Mention alternative plans in waitlist LOCI?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mcs268

Mention alternative plans in waitlist LOCI?

Postby mcs268 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:33 am

I'm on the waitlist at USC. I'm currently planning on going to UC Davis. I got a good scholarship there (35,000 in total). But I am staying in LA this summer for the purpose of having a place in case USC accepts me. I want to put this in my LOCI, but I'm not sure if I should mention davis or the scholarship. I would pay sticker at USC, and I want them to know that, and I think saying i would do that over a scholarship could look good or backfire (they won't believe me). Any idea what I should do?

I feel like i need to say SOMETHING about what my current law school plans right now. If I just say nothing, it might look bad. If I just say Davis, they might think Im hiding a large scholarship. and if they see the scholarship, they might not believe me. I don't know what to do!

dirtrida2

Re: Mention alternative plans in waitlist LOCI?

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:51 am

mcs268 wrote:I'm on the waitlist at USC. I'm currently planning on going to UC Davis. I got a good scholarship there (35,000 in total). But I am staying in LA this summer for the purpose of having a place in case USC accepts me. I want to put this in my LOCI, but I'm not sure if I should mention davis or the scholarship. I would pay sticker at USC, and I want them to know that, and I think saying i would do that over a scholarship could look good or backfire (they won't believe me). Any idea what I should do?

I feel like i need to say SOMETHING about what my current law school plans right now. If I just say nothing, it might look bad. If I just say Davis, they might think Im hiding a large scholarship. and if they see the scholarship, they might not believe me. I don't know what to do!

You are on the wait-list, you need to worry about getting accepted before you start talking about scholarships.

You simply need to ensure them of 2 things:

1. Why the school is the right fit for you.

2. Inform them that the school is your first choice and you would enroll if pulled from the wait-list.

When schools pull from the wait-list they aim for students that would place a seat deposit immediately.

mcs268

Postby mcs268 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:56 am

dirtrida2 wrote:
mcs268 wrote:I'm on the waitlist at USC. I'm currently planning on going to UC Davis. I got a good scholarship there (35,000 in total). But I am staying in LA this summer for the purpose of having a place in case USC accepts me. I want to put this in my LOCI, but I'm not sure if I should mention davis or the scholarship. I would pay sticker at USC, and I want them to know that, and I think saying i would do that over a scholarship could look good or backfire (they won't believe me). Any idea what I should do?

You are on the wait-list, you need to worry about getting accepted before you start talking about scholarships.

2. Inform them that the school is your first choice and you would enroll if pulled from the wait-list.

When schools pull from the wait-list they aim for students that would place a seat deposit immediately.

Ok, so I shouldn't mention the money. That's what I thought at the least. Should I say my current plan is to got to UC Davis though?

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:03 pm

mcs268 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

Ok, so I shouldn't mention the money. That's what I thought at the least. Should I say my current plan is to got to UC Davis though?

I think that any mention of another offer would put doubt in their mind in regards to your intentions.

Have you visited the school? They would like to see that you have at least seen the campus and/or toured the facilities. If you are pulled from the wait-list, chances are, you won't have the opportunity to do the above before accepting the offer. In their minds, how could you possibly commit to their offer without doing the latter. Also feel free to discuss any new job positions, volunteer work, etc that you have embarked on since you first sent in your application. Any relevant application boosting material that they have not already seen is all helpful.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Considering the cost of Davis, a $35,000 total scholarship is not good

mcs268

Postby mcs268 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:25 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
mcs268 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

I think that any mention of another offer would put doubt in their mind in regards to your intentions.

Have you visited the school? They would like to see that you have at least seen the campus and/or toured the facilities. If you are pulled from the wait-list, chances are, you won't have the opportunity to do the above before accepting the offer. In their minds, how could you possibly commit to their offer without doing the latter. Also feel free to discuss any new job positions, volunteer work, etc that you have embarked on since you first sent in your application. Any relevant application boosting material that they have not already seen is all helpful.

I'm from New York, so no. I'll be in LA this summer though, and I'm mentioning in the letter that i am going to visit. Hopefully that shows some sort of commitment. I'm not expecting to get in after the May 1st date (I'm slightly below both medians, so they wouldn't fill me in to balance out deficiencies most likely then). I think if I can squeeze a visit before July 1st (the second deposit date), I may have a shot.

To answer rad lulz: I think at the point of waitlisting, any money somewhere else leaves doubt in their minds I attend. In comparison to full sticker at USC, I would consider $35,000 to be a factor. (also, I meant 35,000 yearly, not sure if you misinterpreted)

Return to “Law School FAQ”