Weekly Schedule 1L

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2156
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:42 pm

I know people have posted these, but looking for some more detailed schedules regarding the life of a 1L or a 2L (Or a 3L who can compare and contrast them)

So basically: What time do you get up? What time to do you go to bed? When are you in the library/studying? How long? What about weekends? Busy weeks versus light weeks? Leisure time?

Just trying to get a better feel for the entirety of the LS experience.


Thanks guys,

Greg

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:41 pm

I've only been in the library to staple things or scan books that I don't want to pay for.

I do all my readings over the weekend. If it's not near finals, then I have a shitload of free time, i.e., I basically do no work during the week. If it is near finals (say a month or so out), then I'm reading supplements, doing practice exams, outlining etc, so I don't have much free time.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2156
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:06 pm

Thanks! Sounds like you have a good schedule working for you? Getting the readings done on the weekends is something I have heard from more than one student as a technique to free up during the week.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:50 pm

GregoryADevine wrote:Thanks! Sounds like you have a good schedule working for you? Getting the readings done on the weekends is something I have heard from more than one student as a technique to free up during the week.


I definitely prefer reading over the weekend. I tried doing it the night before at the start of 1L, but I didn't like it. I like to be able to relax when I get home from classes.

vinnnyvincenzo
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Bronck wrote:
GregoryADevine wrote:Thanks! Sounds like you have a good schedule working for you? Getting the readings done on the weekends is something I have heard from more than one student as a technique to free up during the week.


I definitely prefer reading over the weekend. I tried doing it the night before at the start of 1L, but I didn't like it. I like to be able to relax when I get home from classes.


how were your grades?

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:10 pm

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:
Bronck wrote:
GregoryADevine wrote:Thanks! Sounds like you have a good schedule working for you? Getting the readings done on the weekends is something I have heard from more than one student as a technique to free up during the week.


I definitely prefer reading over the weekend. I tried doing it the night before at the start of 1L, but I didn't like it. I like to be able to relax when I get home from classes.


how were your grades?


1st sem top 25%.

A little over 3 weeks until the first final second sem, so we'll see.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby gaud » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:19 pm

It's not as bad as you think it'll be, bro.

Maybe for the couple/few weeks before finals, but before that it's less work than a 40hr per week gig.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby quiver » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:48 pm

GregoryADevine wrote:I know people have posted these, but looking for some more detailed schedules regarding the life of a 1L or a 2L (Or a 3L who can compare and contrast them)

So basically: What time do you get up? What time to do you go to bed? When are you in the library/studying? How long? What about weekends? Busy weeks versus light weeks? Leisure time?

Just trying to get a better feel for the entirety of the LS experience.


Thanks guys,

Greg
This varies widely from person to person. Everyone has their own preferred study methods, workout schedules, meal schedules, etc.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2156
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:22 pm

gaud wrote:It's not as bad as you think it'll be, bro.

Maybe for the couple/few weeks before finals, but before that it's less work than a 40hr per week gig.


Thanks man, good to hear. I just hear these stories from a couple friends at law school who talk about these kids working 80hour weeks!??

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby Nova » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:32 pm

GregoryADevine wrote:So basically: What time do you get up? What time to do you go to bed? When are you in the library/studying? How long? What about weekends? Busy weeks versus light weeks? Leisure time?

Hi Greg.

Quiver is completely right. Everyone does it different.

If I have a morning class, I get up 15 minutes before class, whether thats 7:45, 8:45, 11:15, or whatever (I live across the street). If no morning classes, Ill wake up by noon. This is because I stay up late, either bullshitting or working. I go to bed whenever I want, but I try to fall asleep atleast 7 hours before my first class. If no morning class, By 4 am.

Im always in the library. I go in between classes and after class. I pretty much ONLY study in the library and other nooks in the school. NEVER at home. Thats just personal preference though. I stay until I feel like I put in a full days work. At the begining of the semster, thats usually like 6-8 hours M-F (including classes) and maybe a few hours on the weekend. Now, with a month to go, Im putting in 60+ hours a week. Like 10-12 a day, with one day off. I feel like I put in more time than most.

For leisure, I go to the bars by the school and have a beer or two when Im done working for the day. I also run and work out. On weekends, I go out with friends and try to meet cute girls.
Last edited by Nova on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby Nova » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:36 pm

GregoryADevine wrote:Thanks! Sounds like you have a good schedule working for you? Getting the readings done on the weekends is something I have heard from more than one student as a technique to free up during the week.

I like and use this strategy too. Makes M-F a lot more smooth.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2156
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:49 pm

Nova wrote:
GregoryADevine wrote:So basically: What time do you get up? What time to do you go to bed? When are you in the library/studying? How long? What about weekends? Busy weeks versus light weeks? Leisure time?

Hi Greg.

Quiver is completely right. Everyone does it different.

If I have a morning class, I get up 15 minutes before class, whether thats 7:45, 8:45, 11:15, or whatever (I live across the street). If no morning classes, Ill wake up by noon. This is because I stay up late, either bullshitting or working. I go to bed whenever I want, but I try to fall asleep atleast 7 hours before my first class. If no morning class, By 4 am.

Im always in the library. I go in between classes and after class. I pretty much ONLY study in the library and other nooks in the school. NEVER at home. Thats just personal preference though. I stay until I feel like I put in a full days work. At the begining of the semster, thats usually like 6-8 hours M-F (including classes) and maybe a few hours on the weekend. Now, with a month to go, Im putting in 60+ hours a week. Like 10-12 a day, with one day off. I feel like I put in more time than most.

For leisure, I go to the bars by the school and have a beer or two when Im done working for the day. I also run and work out. On weekends, I go out with friends and try to meet cute girls.


Thank you! Very descriptive, paints a good picture in my head of what to expect. I already suspect I may be someone who would like to stay at school until I get most/all of my work done. I feel like if I brought work home it would never end. So it is like finals week every week as compared to undergrad? IDK that's just how I envision LS in my head...

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:56 pm

<<<< 1L basically what Nova does but more on weekends and less during finals.

2L can vary a TON. If you're on journal + a board of something + etc etc, you're spending a bit more time than 1L, just not doing actual homework. On the flip side, if you didn't overcommit, and get a job by September, it's pretty low key.

3L is really freaking easy unless you're like on the E-board of law review and are clerkship gunning (taking fed courts, etc)

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2156
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby Barack O'Drama » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:31 pm

Okay, well that gives me a good idea of the difference in years... Haha if 3L is as easy as everyone says it kind of sounds fun?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby cinephile » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:32 pm

I like going to the library to study. Even though I never get any studying done there. It's just a good place to be a little bit social. You can't talk much, but you can hang out and get food, etc. together during your study breaks.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2156
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:04 am

Sounds pretty nice, @cinephile I can see myself taking that approach with the library and all... I would also rather work like hell for 6 days a week then relax one day per week.

JDot
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby JDot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm wondering about this as well...out of all the people I know that are in or graduated law school (all of them did or are doing well grade wise) half said it was a pain in the ass and consumed their life and the other half said it wasn't that bad and they still went out and did stuff all the time...could use some other opinions

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15464
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:47 pm

JDot wrote:I'm wondering about this as well...out of all the people I know that are in or graduated law school (all of them did or are doing well grade wise) half said it was a pain in the ass and consumed their life and the other half said it wasn't that bad and they still went out and did stuff all the time...could use some other opinions

It's just school. School is pretty easy overall with the occasional busy stretch.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Weekly Schedule 1L

Postby Nova » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 pm

gaud wrote:It's not as bad as you think it'll be, bro.

Maybe for the couple/few weeks before finals, but before that it's less work than a 40hr per week gig.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests