I don't want to go to law school. So, what now? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nickb285

Silver

Re: I don't want to go to law school. So, what now?

Post by nickb285 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:30 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:33 pm

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:59 pm

go teach english in a foreign country. It sounds like your UG may be prestigious. You said you had asian parents, do you speak any foreign languages? During the worst part of the recession I had a number of friends who moved to Korea to teach English, they're still doing it and have saved up a good amount of money. Most of the companies will arrange housing and stuff for you, which would probably be a good way for you to ease into supporting yourself.

Homelandsagreatshow

Bronze

Post by Homelandsagreatshow » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:02 pm

Korea = not the first place I'd want to currently be, even obviously in the south

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:15 pm

FlanAl wrote:go teach english in a foreign country. It sounds like your UG may be prestigious. You said you had asian parents, do you speak any foreign languages? During the worst part of the recession I had a number of friends who moved to Korea to teach English, they're still doing it and have saved up a good amount of money. Most of the companies will arrange housing and stuff for you, which would probably be a good way for you to ease into supporting yourself.
This is a very good post as well. My friend graduated with a biology degree and wants nothing to do with it. He did a month long program at a local state college and went to teach in Taiwan. The positions, from what I've heard, are very easy to get.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:16 pm

FlanAl wrote:go teach english in a foreign country. It sounds like your UG may be prestigious. You said you had asian parents, do you speak any foreign languages? During the worst part of the recession I had a number of friends who moved to Korea to teach English, they're still doing it and have saved up a good amount of money. Most of the companies will arrange housing and stuff for you, which would probably be a good way for you to ease into supporting yourself.
This is terrible fucking advice. You basically make no money and worse you waste several years of your career in a dead end job.

You'd literally be better off working at Wendys or a grocery store.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:18 pm

nickb285 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Man, I pretty much did what you did except the roommate situation. 7 people in a 2 bedroom apartment. $285/month (including the utilities), yo.
Dang. See, that's where I'm willing to spend a little more--I could go out more often and buy cooler stuff and not occasionally have to donate plasma for beer money, but I really, really like living alone (though for a while I had one very quiet roommate who I was friends with, and that was pretty good too). That said, I'm paying about $350/month more than you for the privilege, so there's a trade off.
It honestly only works because of so many things going right. For one, finding 6 other very compatible people is very rare. I'm lucky to have pre-med friends who are just as crazy, if not more, about studying for their MCAT exam than I am for my LSAT. It's a small apartment so cleanliness is huge. I am fortunate that everyone is clean and responsible. That almost never happened in undergrad.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
This is terrible fucking advice. You basically make no money and worse you waste several years of your career in a dead end job.

You'd literally be better off working at Wendys or a grocery store.
That depends. Some people have no idea what to do with their lives and going to a foreign country can help one "realize" certain things. I have a friend that is two years out of undergrad with biology degree and no clue what to do with it. He does not want anything to do with the medical field or research. He lived at home for a year and a half and was depressed out of his mind. He then found the Taiwan program, and now he's happier than ever. In the end, he discovered himself overseas and is coming back to the states to start a new career.

Also, programs range from 6 months to years. You can just opt out after half a year.

Faconnable

New

Post by Faconnable » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:03 pm

OP here. Thanks for all the advice, I greatly appreciate the recommendations. An update: after telling my parents straight up that I would more than likely not be happy going to law school, they sort of were in shock for a bit, but ultimately said they understood and would help me out for a bit if I needed it / couldn't even land the jobs nickb was talking about.

The abroad idea is an interesting one, I'll think about that.

Thanks again all, hopefully other people also gained some valuable advice or insight. My personal case revealed that not all ultimatums by family are as stark as they may first appear, and that most parents (hopefully) ultimately want their child to be happy more than gaining some imagined societal prestige/success/etc. Also, I will always have the future option of going to law school or some other graduate school someday :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:00 pm

TheBiggerMediocre

Bronze

Post by TheBiggerMediocre » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:39 pm

If you really think about it, your situation is the same as any other normal liberal arts student. I think its possible for someone in our situation to find a job making at least 20 an hour just move to the city. I have gotten multiple offers the ones that lead to a good career start out at 35k the ones that aren't as good are low level IT jobs but they pay $30 an hour but I won't get much farther since I won't be interested enough to learn the skills necessary to move up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”