JD, DBA or both?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lawyurd

JD, DBA or both?

Postby lawyurd » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:06 am

Are there any pros/cons to having a JD and a Doctoral degree from my current field of logistics? I would love to do both, not at the same time (that's just crazy!). Both degrees take a minimum of three years, most likely longer for me since I still have to work and can do a JD part-time or write a dissertation that takes some people years to finish.

The DBA program I am looking at has a focus on Supply Chain and Logistics. This is ideal for me and the easy choice since I work in logistics for the federal government.

A JD could be beneficial because I don't want to do logistics forever and would love to move over to the contract side of what we do because of all the stuff I see that could be fixed if someone knew both sides of how things work, (maybe I'm just a naive idealist in this aspect).

I would love to do both programs since I truly believe that I could make an impact knowing both sides of the business. I can only do the DBA online because the program is not offered anywhere near me here in Florida. There is at least Florida Coastal School of Law here, a T4 ABA juggernaut. I'm prepping for the LSAT in June.

I know that I probably answered my own question about which program to do first but would still love to hear the pros/cons of doing both degrees over time.

twenty

Re: JD, DBA or both?

Postby twenty » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:56 pm

It is virtually never a good idea to do an unfunded doctorate in the United States. It is less okay to go to Florida Coastal.

Assuming you already have your MBA and you REALLY want to go back to school, you're going to have to probably either quit your job, or else move. If you're willing to go to DC, Georgetown's part time law program is acceptable, and most funded PhDs in management should be okay. Online PhDs rarely come with funding -- don't do them.

North

Postby North » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:43 am

twentypercentmore wrote:It is virtually never a good idea to do an unfunded doctorate in the United States. It is less okay to go to Florida Coastal.

This.

OP, I live in Florida. Florida Coastal is a joke. Don't waste your time there.

biznardos

Postby biznardos » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:16 am

lawyurd wrote: T4 ABA juggernaut.

/thread

lawyurd

Postby lawyurd » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:47 am

Thanks for the advice. I'm not worried about a funded doctoral program, that's what my GI Bill is for. Assuming that I get my doctorate then there is a good chance that I would end up in DC anyway since I would be more qualified than all of my superiors here in Florida, minus the years of experience they have on me. I do like the idea of a part-time law program from Georgetown over Florida Coastal.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:24 pm

lawyurd wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'm not worried about a funded doctoral program, that's what my GI Bill is for. Assuming that I get my doctorate then there is a good chance that I would end up in DC anyway since I would be more qualified than all of my superiors here in Florida, minus the years of experience they have on me. I do like the idea of a part-time law program from Georgetown over Florida Coastal.

Georgetown with heavy GI Bill funding is not a bad plan. I really don't know as much about the yellow ribbon program as I should, so look into that too.

I'd still probably veer away from an online DBA.

I would be more qualified than all of my superiors here in Florida, minus the years of experience they have on me.

Guessing you're a fed. All it ends up being is years of experience. Education is basically a 1) tie breaker for field office promotions and 2) a ticket into DC. However, DC offers huge opportunities that I would fully recommend with or without a degree program, and if you can get into GULC with money from the GI BIll, do that and don't look back. I'm guessing you also qualify for at least 5-point preference, so if you go DC + GULC + veteran's preference, you can pretty much write your own ticket into whatever and wherever you want.

Return to “Law School FAQ”