Free MBA or Graduate Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Lock74

New

Free MBA or Graduate

Post by Lock74 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:05 pm

I know that I have made a similar thread about this topic in the past but upon getting some new information, I have realized that I need some more of TLS’s collective wisdom. I am currently set to graduate May 2014, which is a year early from my original graduation date. Due to having a full scholarship that would pay for this year, I have been looking into master’s programs at my school. Due to it being an extremely small private liberal arts schools there are only around 5 options. I only qualify for the one-year MBA program. This would require a couple of summer classes and a regular load for one more year past my graduation date. I was set on applying for the Peace Corps this time next year but I am afraid of giving up the free MBA because it would provide me with several benefits, which include easier placement within the Peace Corps, a small soft for law school, and a decent back up degree beyond my crappy undergrad degree (public admin and criminal justice).

The only thing that is holding me back is that I am currently tired of my small and crappy undergrad. I am also an athlete, adding the MBA would require another year of playing which is starting to take a toll on my body, and I am honestly becoming severely disinterested with the sport (football). I was really looking forward to graduating and leaving but do not want to make the wrong decision turning down the free MBA especially with already having a poor undergrad degree. I can suck up playing for one more year but need to know if that is the right choice.

Justin Genious

Bronze

Re: Free MBA or Graduate

Post by Justin Genious » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:45 pm

The accelerated MBA is likely not worth it due to it being from a poor school and you, presumably, not having relevant work experience to make it worthwhile. Hit up the Peace Corps.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:48 pm

I'm not looking for the quote, but a wise person on this site once said "two worthless degrees isn't better than one worthless degree".

In saying that, my undergrad college has a 1 year Masters in Management program for liberal arts students and I have a lot of friends who have done it and have had varying degrees of success, from good consulting/banking jobs to doing an unpaid job at a friend's early stage startup. Just as a word of warning, a 1 year MBA with no WE will put you at entry level jobs and not post-MBA level. I really don't know whether it will help you with the Peace Corps and it probably won't help with your chances in Law School. If you're not 100% on Law School, it might be a good idea to just do it, get a job in entry level business (recruiters love scholarship athletes) and then decide from there whether you actually want to become a lawyer.

If you are 100% committed to going to Law School, I think it would be best to extend your UG one more year, take a couple easy A classes to boost your GPA, and spend all of your free time studying to ace the LSAT. A tenth of a point on your GPA and a 170+ is better than any extra degree or soft that you can get at this point, unless you can go pro in football.

Lock74

New

Post by Lock74 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:08 pm

I have no relevant work experience besides regular work in high school and college. The additional year for easy classes is a good idea but I am sitting at a 3.9 as of right now and should be around a 3.93 when I graduate. Another thing I would like to note is that while an MBA would provide me with some practical knowledge I think that a Masters in Public Policy, Urban Development, or Public Health would be more along the lines of what I wanted career wise if I did not go to law school. Barring something awful happening in the Peace Corps, I would likely pursue that route with one of the many Peace Corps partnered universities that have such programs for RPCVs. Also due to busting my ass the first 2 years of undergrad I only have to take 24 hours to graduate which opens up a huge amount of time to study for the LSAT my senior year. My timeline for next year would likely follow as studying for the LSAT, applying to the Peace Corps, graduating, taking the LSAT, and then leaving for the Peace Corps.

Please keep the comments coming. TLS is really one of the only places that I can find worthwhile advice. Is there anyone for the MBA????

DevilshEagle

New

Post by DevilshEagle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:09 pm

While I agree that the free MBA won't get you out of the 'entry level' job market, I think you should strongly consider it.

An MBA is a title, like a J.D. It will open doors for you, professionally, although maybe not during the first few years of working.

Many positions outside of entry-level work will require or desire an MBA or similar degree. If you can get it free now, why not go for it?

With that said, it won't do much in the legal market (from my understanding). It's more relevant for upper level management positions and pay raises (over time) for non-lawyers. Once more, it's a title. Having the title will open doors for you - they may not be doors you care about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawyurd

New

Post by lawyurd » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:56 pm

Get the MBA now because years later you'll find out you need/want it in order to take that next step in your career. It seems like MBA's are a dime a dozen but in the work force you'll see that you may be one of a hand full of people that actually have the degree and most of those will be in upper managemment.

Lock74

New

Post by Lock74 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:41 pm

The two latest responses are some of what my friends and family have been telling me. I am probably going to wait to around Christmas time to officially make my decision since it is hard to project how I will feel next year. I might be okay with one more year or fighting to leave. I do have another question though. Do you all think that the MBA might help make up the fact that I majored in public administration and criminal justice??? I am not specifically gunning for HYS but I have read and seen stories of how HYS will laugh at anything with criminal justice in it even if you have the numbers.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Forget about the MBA, OP. Unless you had like a 3.9 or 4.0 from a top econ/business school, and then got into a top MBA program despite no WE (meaning M7 or so), then it would be worth it.

Given this is not your situation, and you have a 3.9+, kill the LSAT and enjoy HYS, or a large scholly at the T-14.

Lock74

New

Post by Lock74 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:04 pm

The above post is what my gut has been telling me. I have definitely put myself in a situation to study my ass off next year and prepare for the Peace Corps. The MBA would delay all of this and to be honest it would be hard to see myself happy at my undergrad for another year. However, I also realize I am in a great situation and this is not an opportunity I should dismiss because I am tired of playing football and my undergrad. I really do appreciate the responses so far. I am just trying to make the overall best decision.

lawyurd

New

Post by lawyurd » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:34 pm

Maybe a change in sports would help. I suggest ice hockey, harder hits, faster pace of play and you can fight. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”