To double or not to double, that is the question. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
gnomgnomuch

Silver

To double or not to double, that is the question.

Post by gnomgnomuch » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Just some background Info. I am going to be a junior at the end of this semester. I am 100% commited to a Poli-Sci Major, i enjoy it and i dont think its as "bad" as degree as people make it out to be, and if Law school doesnt pan out, there are always other masters programs that I can look into with a Pol-Sci degree. Ive already taken 12 credits for my Pol-Sci degree and have a 4.0. Unfortunately because of Calc and Calc 2 my GPA is a 3.5, instead of a 3.8 (I tanked both classes).

I am considering a 2x major in either Poli-Sci and Journalism, or Pol-Sci and English. I like Journalism a bit more, BUT it is a much larger time commitment, as well as being a bit harder (there are two 4000 level finance courses that are required for journalism, one for reporting on finance, and the other for actually understanding what you are reporting). English would be much less fun, though a bit easier. Right now I am in the "Get a 4.0 in every possible class so my GPA is as high as possible, and destroy the LSAT" mode.

My question are as follows : Does it make sense to double major at all? If so which combination would look better to law schools (Potential future employers/Masters programs, if i dont do Law k-JK)?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated because i am at a loss on what to do,
Thanks in advance =)

Clearly

Gold

Re: To double or not to double, that is the question.

Post by Clearly » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:58 pm

You do not pick a major (or two) for getting into law school, you pick your major as a backup to getting into law school. Provided you pick a major that won't decimate your GPA.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:04 pm

two worthless degrees are not better than one worthless degree

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:You do not pick a major (or two) for getting into law school, you pick your major as a backup to getting into law school. Provided you pick a major that won't decimate your GPA.

Im set on Pol-Sci, its not something i picked FOR law school.. the other major (if there will even be one) is what im thinking about, as in "Does it make any sense at all to pick a 2nd major".

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:07 am

gnomgnomuch wrote:and if Law school doesnt pan out, there are always other masters programs that I can look into with a Pol-Sci degree. Ive already taken 12 credits for my Pol-Sci degree and have a 4.0.

Then why are you preemptively justifying that decision? No, don't pick a second major, it will do nothing for you as far as law school goes. By the way, my comment was directed at picking a second major, not your first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:27 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:and if Law school doesnt pan out, there are always other masters programs that I can look into with a Pol-Sci degree. Ive already taken 12 credits for my Pol-Sci degree and have a 4.0.

Then why are you preemptively justifying that decision? No, don't pick a second major, it will do nothing for you as far as law school goes. By the way, my comment was directed at picking a second major, not your first.

I think I might have phrased that incorrectly. I always intended to do Pol-Sci. I enjoy it, choosing it as a major has nothing to do with my desire to attend law school. All I am noting is that even if I decide to not attend law school, a degree in Poli-Sci can still get me into a masters program that can get me a job. Also yes, im still not sure about the 2nd major. Maybe something more practical like Econ? The only problem with that is that I go to a school that has a huge emphasis on all business majors, and I have A LOT (A LOT!) of problems with Math. It just does not come to me, no matter how much i try. So if I do choose Econ as a 2nd major (If i even choose one at all) i run the risk of ruining what is already a not so stellar GPA.

Also, does a 2nd major do anything in terms of marketability? If its something like Journ/English... i think it WOULD be more beneficial if it was STEM related.

Ave

Bronze

Post by Ave » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:30 am

dr123 wrote:two worthless degrees are not better than one worthless degree
This shouldn't even be a question.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:41 am

gnomgnomuch wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:

I think I might have phrased that incorrectly. I always intended to do Pol-Sci. I enjoy it, choosing it as a major has nothing to do with my desire to attend law school. All I am noting is that even if I decide to not attend law school, a degree in Poli-Sci can still get me into a masters program that can get me a job. Also yes, im still not sure about the 2nd major. Maybe something more practical like Econ? The only problem with that is that I go to a school that has a huge emphasis on all business majors, and I have A LOT (A LOT!) of problems with Math. It just does not come to me, no matter how much i try. So if I do choose Econ as a 2nd major (If i even choose one at all) i run the risk of ruining what is already a not so stellar GPA.

Also, does a 2nd major do anything in terms of marketability? If its something like Journ/English... i think it WOULD be more beneficial if it was STEM related.
It's really not worth it, the smarter thing to do is take extra classes that will boost your GPA.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:01 am

gnomgnomuch wrote:Just some background Info. I am going to be a junior at the end of this semester. I am 100% commited to a Poli-Sci Major, i enjoy it and i dont think its as "bad" as degree as people make it out to be, and if Law school doesnt pan out, there are always other masters programs that I can look into with a Pol-Sci degree. Ive already taken 12 credits for my Pol-Sci degree and have a 4.0. Unfortunately because of Calc and Calc 2 my GPA is a 3.5, instead of a 3.8 (I tanked both classes).

I am considering a 2x major in either Poli-Sci and Journalism, or Pol-Sci and English. I like Journalism a bit more, BUT it is a much larger time commitment, as well as being a bit harder (there are two 4000 level finance courses that are required for journalism, one for reporting on finance, and the other for actually understanding what you are reporting). English would be much less fun, though a bit easier. Right now I am in the "Get a 4.0 in every possible class so my GPA is as high as possible, and destroy the LSAT" mode.

My question are as follows : Does it make sense to double major at all? If so which combination would look better to law schools (Potential future employers/Masters programs, if i dont do Law k-JK)?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated because i am at a loss on what to do,
Thanks in advance =)
Oh boy.

I do not plan on making your life easier with this post, nor do I plan to congratulate you for your 4.0s and belief that you have found your passion. However, I will do you the kindness of being honest and sincere in my advice, because I believe that you are a decent, if misguided, human being.

Why are you stalking this site? Frankly, I don't give a flying f*ck what your grade is in calculus. Second of all, you are WAY too young. Go forth, party, drink, get laid (or don't. I played online games and had cybersex. It was a blast.) and have a decent undergrad. Come back in a few years once you've gotten all of that out of the way.

You want advice on your degree? Find something that makes you employable. Neither I nor any employer gives two shits about what you 'love doing', unless it happens to mysteriously coincide with what they want to hire you for. Also, if you truly love poly-sci, then what the hell do you want to go to law school for? Why are you planning your life around law school if you want to do poly-sci?

On jobs: get your head out of your ass, wake up and smell the economy. It is not pretty. Employers are not going to fall over themselves to hire you. For God's sake, don't choose a degree because you 'love it', choose a degree because it leads to a job that you can stand doing and, if at all possible, enjoy (although this will depend in large part on your coworkers.)

I know this is a lot to take in. My suggestion? Go online, do a shitton of research, find jobs that look interesting to you, figure out how to get to them, and then pursue them. Don't let schools trick you with pretty-sounding degrees. You sound like you don't have a clue as to what you want to do with your life. At your age, that's fine. But it's also time to grow up and figure out what that is.

P.S.: Unless you plan on being a teacher, don't do english. My brother has a masters degree in english, and you know what his job is? Teaching a bunch of shitty kids english concepts from three grades ago. Which they're failing at. Unless this sounds appealing, find something else.

Also, Unless you are DAMN sure that you will be on TV and being a star anchor, don't do journalism. I can blog just as well as you can without the degree and $40,000 in debt.
Last edited by Scotusnerd on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:07 am

lol if i could go back i'd do something actually useful

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:08 pm

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:37 pm

warandpeace wrote:
lol if i could go back i'd do something actually useful
Me too. I have one degree in Political Science and another in Sociology. Our job market is too tight to jerk off and 'do what we love' in college like our shitboomer parents did. I wish I wouldn't have taken that stupid fucking advice from the boomers I know.

Make your second major electrical engineering, OP.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Second major doesn't make much sense, unless it's STEM (which I and other posters are at most only 25% kidding about). If you're considering poli-sci grad as a backup I'm pretty sure those programs would rather see 5+ extra junior/senior level poli-sci courses than a second major in English or whatever. So take those and get A's if you can swing it. Seems like you'd be taking junior/senior level English courses (and making A's) so it's not like there's a huge downside.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

arkgawilson

Bronze

Post by arkgawilson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:45 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:

It's really not worth it, the smarter thing to do is take extra classes that will boost your GPA.
And if the extra classes that boost OP's GPA are in a 2nd major?

Ave

Bronze

Post by Ave » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:47 am

arkgawilson wrote:And if the extra classes that boost OP's GPA are in a 2nd major?
Then by all means take these classes. What everyone ITT has repeatedly been saying is: don't go out of your way to double major in something completely useless

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:15 pm

Alright, thanks everyone for the insight!

ScotusNerd - im not going to be in ANY debt at all after undergrad, and thats a result of my own hard work (im holding down 2 jobs + extra hours at a 3rd job when im needed), so im paying my way through undergrad. I may be completely wrong about a 2nd major (and really thats what this post is about, trying to find out if it makes sense to do a 2nd major ot not) but I really am set on Poli-Sci.. ive already completed 1/2 of the creds needed for a degree in it, and have found it interesting, stimulating and something I want to continue. However, i do realize that Pol-Sci majors are a dime a dozen, especially those that want to do go to law school afterward, which is why i am even thinking of pursuing a 2nd major, but again i dont want to take a major in a STEM field, and completely kill my GPA, because no matter what i attend, law school or grad school, GPA will still matters A LOT!
Also, in not exactly stalking this site... ive looked through it and have generally found that people here give good advice, so i asked for some. On regards to your comments on the economy, everyone knows the economy is doing poorly, berating me for following what i enjoy doesnt help me at all, also i have decent job options already, albiet in a completely different field and one that i dont enjoy so much.

In regards to classes that will just boost my GPA? Would those be just 1001 courses, or a potential minor that shows im not just a one trick pony?

Again, thanks for all the advice!

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Congrats on the three jobs. I'm sure that's difficult. I'm trying to give you the advice I wish I had been given when I was in school. What job do you plan on getting after Poli Sci if law school doesn't work out?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:49 pm

Ghost93 wrote:
From a triple-majorer: neither, perhaps unsurprisingly, are three.

There are about 4 majors in existence that should be considered anything better than an elaborate trolling effort by college administrators though.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Do something in business to make yourself more marketable after graduation or don't bother. I picked up a 2nd major because I was nearly done with my Poli Sci degree and wanted to do something else just so I could fill up classes but in terms of usefulness, none.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:24 pm

john7234797 wrote:Do something in business to make yourself more marketable after graduation or don't bother. I picked up a 2nd major because I was nearly done with my Poli Sci degree and wanted to do something else just so I could fill up classes but in terms of usefulness, none.
Yeah this is basically credited.

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:16 pm

yeah, i figured out how worthless poli sci is after the intro classes, and switched into something marketable while i still had the chance.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”