The Poll of All Polls - WAS BIGLAW WORTH IT?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Is BIGLAW worth it??

Even though it is/was stressful, I've been able to enjoy life, and am better off because of it.
Biglaw isn't conducive to happiness - the money isn't worth it - what was I thinking.
You're a dumbass for making this poll.
Total votes: 44

The Poll of All Polls - WAS BIGLAW WORTH IT?

Postby throwawayaccountweee » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:24 pm

(yes this is a throw-away account, but no im not that guy that makes all those dumb polls)

For all those who have done BIGLAW

was/is all of the $$$, exit options, and....well ok thats pretty much it right....worth the stress, time away from family/friends, and lack of ability to enjoy other things in life? (in the GRAND scheme of things)

are BIGLAW and HAPPINESS mutually exclusive like some people on here claim?

if you could go back, would you do the whole thing over again? has it made you realize that money isn't as important as you thought and you'd have rather done something else with your time, or did you enjoy the hustle and appreciate the financial stability it has provided/will provide for you and your loved ones?

is it equally demanding to any other high paying job? or is it especially grueling and soul-sucking to the point of not being worth the $?

did you feel like a useless and insignificant slave robot, or did you enjoy the stimulation and pressure of working on high profile cases/deals?

were you depressed due to a lack of passion in your job, or were you just happy to be working and bringing home huge paychecks?

in the long run, did it lead you to a place in life where you were happier/better off as a result? on your deathbed, will the fact that you did it be a source of contentment or regret?

and for those with families specifically - were you able to find time for them? did they hate you? could you enjoy a family life as much with more $ but less time?

Let's face it we've all been waiting for a thread like this....let's settle this shit once and for all

Re: The Poll of All Polls - WAS BIGLAW WORTH IT?

Postby NYstate » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:29 pm

You need a middle option. You can find biglaw to be worth it, even though you weren't able to enjoy life. I would make enjoying biglaw and happiness outside work two different variables. Not just both or neither.

After reading your entire post, I find all your binary options to be idiotic. Maybe start over with more finesse.

Postby JDot » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:22 am

if you actually care about having a life outside your job, it's not worth it

Postby exitoptions » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:25 am

There are many ways to look at big law. For me it's a means to an end. So yes, it's worth it for a few years.

Postby Pneumonia » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:16 pm

Pneumonia wrote:scifiguy?

Hope so, alting can get you banned.

Return to “Law School FAQ”