Mac or PC?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby nickb285 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:34 pm

.
Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2228
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:43 pm

So basically, whatever else I do, I need to get an SSD (mac or pc) and then I won't have to worry so much about transport hurting my device or boot time?
Cool, thanks for the advice guys.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 pm

sinfiery wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:Get whichever operating system you prefer in your price range. Comparing cpu speed and amount of ram is really apples to oranges between a pc and a mac, so don't focus on those specs.

I disagree. They use the exact same processors once macs went to Intell so they could dual boot Windows. Specs are very important as you are literally getting the same exact orange picked in the same Shanghai plant by the same 57 year old Chinese women. Her name is probably Zhang.

this is true, but my point was that the same intel i7 that is advertised with different laptops isn't doing the same work for windows that it is for mac. i run mountain lion and windows 8 from my hackintosh from dedicated SSDs and each os has its own feel and performance even though they are literally using the same processor. but focusing just on how well each os handles Lightroom, for example, they are basically equal. when going between typing shit and checking email in different classes, a difference in the speed of the processor isn't going to be taken advantage of and the difference that's felt will be the experience of the os and the differences between Office or email apps. if you prefer a mac and have the money, it is stupid to get the pc with the 0.3Ghz faster processor, and if you like windows, it is stupid to pay the extra money for a mac if your only concern is speed on a budget. but speed in a classroom will almost always be bottlenecked at the write bandwidth of the ssd and not cpu's clock rate or amount of ram.
sinfiery wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:If you plan to do any photo/video editing or gaming, get something with a decent gpu because that is what will hold you back as it ages and it can't be replaced.

If you want a decent GPU in a laptop, there is no question a windows laptop will provide you the far superior card at the same price.

true. more options like amd too because new MBPs use nvidia

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11932
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:00 pm

Any decent PC will be within a few hundred bucks of a basic Mac. You can easily get by in law school with the $450 basic PC laptop from Best Buy. In fact, if you're only using the laptop for class and have a desktop at home, that may be the best route.

Personally, I would get a Macbook Air or a true (lightweight) Ultrabook because books are heavy and weight sucks. But again, it's really an entirely personal and budgetary preference. It won't make the slightest bit of actual difference in school. Just buy a decent and reliable brand so it doesn't crash in the middle of a final. Most good PC laptops and Mac laptops come with largely the same specs, and will perform exactly the same. In my experience, Macs will last longer and be more stable as they get older, but Windows is a vastly preferable OS to me. I loathe OS X. Ideally, get a Macbook Air and load Windows on it and delete OS X. Best of both worlds. There are plenty of free and easy key remappers.

The differences between Mac's and PC's are largely irrelevant, it's just user experience. They will both do the exact same things that people need. Although Macs destroy PC's when it comes to the actual touchpad. The ones they use are fantastic, and it's the one thing I miss every time I use my PC laptop.

User avatar
GatorFan305
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby GatorFan305 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Hey all, I just went shopping today. I'm debating between the Air and the Ultrabook. I just bought a Sony Vaio from Tigerdirect for $770. It's 3.7 lbs. and the Air is 3. I bought the Sony today because that's when the sale ends. But, if I don't take it out of the box, I can return it within the next 14 days.

I went to Tigerdirect and Best Buy and everyone had different things to say about the Mac vs. PC question. I have a Mac now and I love the way they work, but it's only 3.5 years old and the screen only works like 50 percent of the time. Also, if I get a PC, I can get accident protection, which I can't with a Mac (unless I buy it from best buy and get the $600 protection plan, which I'm not doing). There are also refurbished macbook airs for $999.

I really love the time machine on the Mac and I don't really know how I'd be able to reformat my pictures (there are thousands of them) and put them onto my new PC. But, I don't know if that's worth the extra money. Any opinions? I know this is essentially the same debate for everyone, but I know nothing about this stuff.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby sinfiery » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:58 pm

There are usually free open source converters for all file types. Just google "I want to convert .xxxx into .xxxx and you should be golden for all your pictures/etc.


I can't speak to which laptop you should buy without specs of the two.

If you want an anecdote, I've had my gateway for 5 1/2 years now and it still works perfectly to this day. Bought a $15 keyboard off ebay and replaced it myself. That's it.

User avatar
ArchieHicox
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby ArchieHicox » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:05 pm

My laptop screen is messed up and I'm in the market for a new laptop. Leaning heavily towards the Macbook Air, but want to wait until the summer (if I can) to see if any sort of deals are going and to stockpile some cash.

Has anyone here used an Air for classes and school.... and beyond just netbook type use? Positive experience or negative?

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby fruitoftheloom » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:26 pm

GatorFan305 wrote:Hey all, I just went shopping today. I'm debating between the Air and the Ultrabook. I just bought a Sony Vaio from Tigerdirect for $770. It's 3.7 lbs. and the Air is 3. I bought the Sony today because that's when the sale ends. But, if I don't take it out of the box, I can return it within the next 14 days.

I went to Tigerdirect and Best Buy and everyone had different things to say about the Mac vs. PC question. I have a Mac now and I love the way they work, but it's only 3.5 years old and the screen only works like 50 percent of the time. Also, if I get a PC, I can get accident protection, which I can't with a Mac (unless I buy it from best buy and get the $600 protection plan, which I'm not doing). There are also refurbished macbook airs for $999.

I really love the time machine on the Mac and I don't really know how I'd be able to reformat my pictures (there are thousands of them) and put them onto my new PC. But, I don't know if that's worth the extra money. Any opinions? I know this is essentially the same debate for everyone, but I know nothing about this stuff.

FYI through Amazon you can purchase additional warrant coverage and accident protection cheaper than Apple care. They still replace damaged parts with Apple parts. On phone now, but can link for you later if you want.

User avatar
loomstate
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:07 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby loomstate » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:39 pm

upgraded macbook air is the correct answer

User avatar
ArchieHicox
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby ArchieHicox » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:42 pm

loomstate wrote:upgraded macbook air is the correct answer


As in the 13" model?

User avatar
GatorFan305
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby GatorFan305 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:00 pm

I bought the refurbished Macbook Air. I feel ridiculous since I'm only using it for word or the internet, but I really hated the Windows 8 layout.

User avatar
GatorFan305
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby GatorFan305 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Also, everyone should look into the refurbished Macs. They're just computers that have been taken back within the 14 day return period.

User avatar
YYZ
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby YYZ » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:31 pm

I would definitely choose between Mac Air and an Ultrabook (such as Dell xps13). The 2 things you want are light weight and quick boot up. You will be carrying the computer around just about everywhere you go for 3 years and constantly booting it up and powering down.

If you're having hard time choosing between the 2, here are a couple of things to consider:

1. You can't get OneNote on a Mac (without going to great lengths). That was a deal breaker for me, but it may not be a big issue for you. There are similar programs on Mac but not nearly as robust as OneNote. Everyone I see with a Mac takes notes on Word or the Notepad, and I'm sure that works great for them.

2. You should inquire whether there are certain limitations using Macs at your school (printing, etc.). Nowadays, I doubt this is a problem, but I've heard of such issues.

If #1 and #2 aren't a problem, get the Mac Air. Let's face it, they are very cool.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:47 pm

GatorFan305 wrote:Also, everyone should look into the refurbished Macs. They're just computers that have been taken back within the 14 day return period.



ttt

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2633
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby Crowing » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:08 pm

PC = cheaper and more compatibility

Why would anybody ever buy a Mac.

nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby nickb285 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:13 pm

.
Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2633
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby Crowing » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:14 pm

nickb285 wrote:Because if we wanted things that were cheap and versatile, we wouldn't be going to law school?


nb. 170.

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:09 am

Crowing wrote:PC = cheaper and more compatibility

Why would anybody ever buy a Mac.


Cheap and they get screwed up in 6 months or less.

I've had mac's since 2007. 2 Macbook Pro's each for 3 years. Never had one problem with them. Plus when I sold my old one to get a new one in 2010, I still got a good value for it.

I will never own a PC ever again. "They just work" is really true. If you are interested in getting a Mac and have time before school starts I would say buy one and try it out. It takes a lil bit to find out all the features and how to do things. If you don't like it before the 30 days is up, take it back and get a pc.

But don't change to a new computer if school is going to start in a month. You gotta take time to learn how it works.

I hate these questions though. If you have no idea how a computer works besides email and Facebook, you should learn about the different technologies like SSD and USB 3.0 to make a better informed decision.

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:14 am

GatorFan305 wrote:Hey all, I just went shopping today. I'm debating between the Air and the Ultrabook. I just bought a Sony Vaio from Tigerdirect for $770. It's 3.7 lbs. and the Air is 3. I bought the Sony today because that's when the sale ends. But, if I don't take it out of the box, I can return it within the next 14 days.

I went to Tigerdirect and Best Buy and everyone had different things to say about the Mac vs. PC question. I have a Mac now and I love the way they work, but it's only 3.5 years old and the screen only works like 50 percent of the time. Also, if I get a PC, I can get accident protection, which I can't with a Mac (unless I buy it from best buy and get the $600 protection plan, which I'm not doing). There are also refurbished macbook airs for $999.

I really love the time machine on the Mac and I don't really know how I'd be able to reformat my pictures (there are thousands of them) and put them onto my new PC. But, I don't know if that's worth the extra money. Any opinions? I know this is essentially the same debate for everyone, but I know nothing about this stuff.


Did this start happening before the 3 year mark? Def get the Applecare. It costs 250 but will pretty much fix anything wrong w/ your computer except liquid damage for 3 years. If you buy an Apple computer at Best Buy they have a warranty program that does cover liquid damage.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

User avatar
Grazzhoppa
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:00 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby Grazzhoppa » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:15 am

How is this even a question? Thinkpad every time.

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:03 am

Grazzhoppa wrote:How is this even a question? Thinkpad every time.


If I didn't own a mac, I'd probably scoop up the Ideapad Yoga.

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/lapto ... a/yoga-13/

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby sinfiery » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:53 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
Cheap and they get screwed up in 6 months or less.

I've had mac's since 2007. 2 Macbook Pro's each for 3 years. Never had one problem with them. Plus when I sold my old one to get a new one in 2010, I still got a good value for it.

I will never own a PC ever again. "They just work" is really true. If you are interested in getting a Mac and have time before school starts I would say buy one and try it out. It takes a lil bit to find out all the features and how to do things. If you don't like it before the 30 days is up, take it back and get a pc.

But don't change to a new computer if school is going to start in a month. You gotta take time to learn how it works.

I hate these questions though. If you have no idea how a computer works besides email and Facebook, you should learn about the different technologies like SSD and USB 3.0 to make a better informed decision.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11932
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:05 am

Grazzhoppa wrote:How is this even a question? Thinkpad every time.


I hate my Thinkpad. I should have bought an Asus or a Mac.

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:27 am

sinfiery wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:
Cheap and they get screwed up in 6 months or less.

I've had mac's since 2007. 2 Macbook Pro's each for 3 years. Never had one problem with them. Plus when I sold my old one to get a new one in 2010, I still got a good value for it.

I will never own a PC ever again. "They just work" is really true. If you are interested in getting a Mac and have time before school starts I would say buy one and try it out. It takes a lil bit to find out all the features and how to do things. If you don't like it before the 30 days is up, take it back and get a pc.

But don't change to a new computer if school is going to start in a month. You gotta take time to learn how it works.

I hate these questions though. If you have no idea how a computer works besides email and Facebook, you should learn about the different technologies like SSD and USB 3.0 to make a better informed decision.

Image

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Mac or PC?

Postby sinfiery » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:53 am

:lol: :lol:




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests