Is SMU Dedman more conservative or more liberal?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
eric922
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: Is SMU Dedman more conservative or more liberal?

Postby eric922 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:34 pm

GregoryADevine wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Sky wrote:I'm not paying for liberal indoctrination
Goddamn reality and its liberal bias, amirite?

Have you heard of Liberty University?


+1

I was going to suggest Oral Roberts for the OP. It's where Michelle Bachman got her law degree so it's probably ideologically pure enough for the OP.

eric922
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: Is SMU Dedman more conservative or more liberal?

Postby eric922 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:37 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Sky wrote:Question: Does SMU lean more liberal or more conservative?

Shortcut:

--How dare you ask this question?
To paraphrase the law school gatekeepers:
-- It "doesn't matter". Conservative or liberal leanings are "completely irrelevant"
-- Profanity followed by "you're unprofessional"
--It "makes no difference" but "If conservatives are going to be there, I'm glad I'm not" (Wait a minute, what happened to "it's irrelevant"?)
--It's irrelevant, but in the unfortunate event that you are conservative, don't go to law school at all. (Translation: it does matter. We, the Collective, don't want you. This is our turf. Go away.)
-- It's irrelevant but if you really insist on getting an answer, pretty much all law school profs are "90% liberal" so don't even think about attending law school.
--"Picking the bones off the carcass of conservatives"

So much for it being irrelevant and facts being facts.

lawls.

It leans more liberal, just like 95% of law schools. Even conservative law schools are more leftward leaning than more conservatives.

I appreciate that you call other applicants "gatekeepers" though. That's a new one.

What about Chicago? I always heard they were very conservative, though likely a different breed than the religious right. Though, it really doesn't matter what the school's politics are. I'm fairly left leaning and I'd still be happy to go to Chicago.

MapsMapsMaps
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: Is SMU Dedman more conservative or more liberal?

Postby MapsMapsMaps » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:33 pm

Sky wrote:Dear Comrades of the Mao Collective:

What professional language from such fine scholars.

One is inclined to comment on the validity of preceding arguments, were one able to find any statements constituting arguments.

Yours Truly,

The Spirit of George Washington

Youre going to wake up one day and realize that you have very few friends.

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Is SMU Dedman more conservative or more liberal?

Postby star fox » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:23 pm

Picking a Law School based off the political ideologies is really stupid. But if the Berkeley environment is too nauseating for you then from what I've heard Chicago, Duke, and UVA are all probably going to have a comparatively more conservative atmosphere than the rest of the T14. Afterwards you got schools like Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Alabama, and SMU that will have a more conservative-friendly student base. Anyone at one of these schools or that has a take on their own school's political orientation would have a better understanding of this then I would.

But again, this should be the very last reason for choosing a law school compared to Jobs, Cost of Attendance, Jobs, areas you have ties, more Jobs, etc. to where it should never really be a consideration.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Is SMU Dedman more conservative or more liberal?

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:45 pm

Sky wrote:--It "makes no difference" but "If conservatives are going to be there, I'm glad I'm not" (Wait a minute, what happened to "it's irrelevant"?)
--It's irrelevant, but in the unfortunate event that you are conservative, don't go to law school at all. (Translation: it does matter. We, the Collective, don't want you. This is our turf. Go away.)
-- It's irrelevant but if you really insist on getting an answer, pretty much all law school profs are "90% liberal" so don't even think about attending law school.


You're not very bright.

The first part is misquoted. Kalvano is obviously not worried about attending a law school with conservatives -- he just doesn't want to attend school with idiots. Same applies to the second part. The statement about law professors in the third part is basically true. Outside of Liberty, Regent, and a couple of other dumps, faculties skew heavily liberal. Since you show irrational paranoia in regard to law schools with liberal faculty and students and also evince concern that your simple mind will succumb to "liberal indoctrination," you should either attend one of the aforementioned shitholes or not attend law school.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Is SMU Dedman more conservative or more liberal?

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:47 pm

eric922 wrote:What about Chicago? I always heard they were very conservative, though likely a different breed than the religious right. Though, it really doesn't matter what the school's politics are. I'm fairly left leaning and I'd still be happy to go to Chicago.


Chicago is definitely not "very conservative." It's probably just more ideologically diverse than its peers.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Is SMU Dedman more conservative or more liberal?

Postby TaipeiMort » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:28 am

Ti Malice wrote:
eric922 wrote:What about Chicago? I always heard they were very conservative, though likely a different breed than the religious right. Though, it really doesn't matter what the school's politics are. I'm fairly left leaning and I'd still be happy to go to Chicago.


Chicago is definitely not "very conservative." It's probably just more ideologically diverse than its peers.


Chicago's professors may be majority free market guys. Most that teach stuff touching on social policy are liberal. I think this has been a nice mix, as it sets up for an environment where even hard issues can be discussed with respect and without demagoguery.

throw-away-soon
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: Is SMU Dedman more conservative or more liberal?

Postby throw-away-soon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:04 pm

Education is dominated by liberals. It sucks, but I found having a super liberal peer base allowed me to understand heir perspective better and to better articulate my arguments. I would say a southern Methodist school in Texas will be more conservative than Berkeley. old school conservative groups like the ACLU have also gone liberal too, so I don't think law is as conservative as prior generations, although I was always told law schools are conservative.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Is SMU Dedman more conservative or more liberal?

Postby nickb285 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:26 pm

throw-away-soon wrote:I found having a super liberal peer base allowed me to understand heir perspective better and to better articulate my arguments



MAOIST INDOCTRINATION

eric922
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: Is SMU Dedman more conservative or more liberal?

Postby eric922 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:19 pm

nickb285 wrote:
throw-away-soon wrote:I found having a super liberal peer base allowed me to understand heir perspective better and to better articulate my arguments



MAOIST INDOCTRINATION

Maoist? Don't be ridiculous. That's for TTT. Everyone knows top law schools are dominated by a secret cabal of Trotskyists.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Is SMU Dedman more conservative or more liberal?

Postby mr.hands » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:21 pm

1. How could this possibly be measured?
2. Even if it could, why would it matter? Seriously.

Go to a school where you can get a job.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: elterrible78, mse2020 and 5 guests