Is SMU Dedman more conservative or more liberal?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Sky

Is SMU Dedman more conservative or more liberal?

Postby Sky » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:24 pm

Does SMU Dedman lean more conservative or more liberal? To what extent does this affect lectures and class discussion and how often do profs express their personal political preferences?
Any insight?

MapsMapsMaps

Re: Is SMU Dedman more conservative or more liberal?

Postby MapsMapsMaps » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:29 pm

I never understood why people give a single shit about this. I'd imagine most people who do are generally obnoxious.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 pm

MapsMapsMaps wrote:I never understood why people give a single shit about this.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:06 pm

I already answered this in the SMU thread where you asked it.

Sky

Postby Sky » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:09 pm

Does anybody have an answer to the question?

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:14 pm

MapsMapsMaps wrote:I'd imagine most people who do are generally obnoxious.

Sky

Postby Sky » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:48 pm

Who isn't more conservative than Berkeley?

And it does matter. I'm not paying for liberal indoctrination or drone-polishing factories.

But by all means please continue to not answer my question, ye gatekeepers of SMU.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:52 pm

Sky wrote:I'm not paying for liberal indoctrination
Goddamn reality and its liberal bias, amirite?

Have you heard of Liberty University?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:54 pm

Moved to appropriate forum.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:31 am

Sky wrote:Who isn't more conservative than Berkeley?

And it does matter. I'm not paying for liberal indoctrination or drone-polishing factories.

But by all means please continue to not answer my question, ye gatekeepers of SMU.

Jesus fucking Christ, if you're going to be there I am glad I am not going to be.

It doesn't matter one goddamn bit. A summary judgment motion is the same whether you're conservative or liberal. You can't embezzle regardless of whether you're conservative or liberal. You're going to get the same legal education from SMU as you would get from any other reputable law school. Just like every other law school, SMU has a broad mix of professors, from ex-hippie pothead nature lovers to ex-military conservative people, and everything in between. And it doesn't matter one goddamn bit, the rules of evidence are the same regardless of what political direction you come from. Do you really think the political leanings of the professor will matter to anything? Unless you're taking a politically charged class like Death Penalty Matters, it won't make any difference. And if that's the class you're taking, then you should be prepared for both sides. I couldn't tell you the political leanings of 90% of the professors I've taken.

And "liberal indoctrination"? Are you 12 years old? Are you unable to think for yourself and draw your own conclusions? Or are you just a pompous ass who is deathly afraid of having to defend your own shallow and poorly-thought-out political views because you just follow along with whatever the website of the day says you should believe?

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:38 am

kalvano wrote:

Jesus fucking Christ, if you're going to be there I am glad I am not going to be.

It doesn't matter one goddamn bit. A summary judgment motion is the same whether you're conservative or liberal. You can't embezzle regardless of whether you're conservative or liberal. You're going to get the same legal education from SMU as you would get from any other reputable law school. Just like every other law school, SMU has a broad mix of professors, from ex-hippie pothead nature lovers to ex-military conservative people, and everything in between. And it doesn't matter one goddamn bit, the rules of evidence are the same regardless of what political direction you come from. Do you really think the political leanings of the professor will matter to anything? Unless you're taking a politically charged class like Death Penalty Matters, it won't make any difference. And if that's the class you're taking, then you should be prepared for both sides. I couldn't tell you the political leanings of 90% of the professors I've taken.

And "liberal indoctrination"? Are you 12 years old? Are you unable to think for yourself and draw your own conclusions? Or are you just a pompous ass who is deathly afraid of having to defend your own shallow and poorly-thought-out political views because you just follow along with whatever the website of the day says you should believe?

Would read again.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:47 am

Devlin wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Would read again.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:53 am

Most firms are filled with people who don't care/ wear it on their sleeves because it is unprofessional. Do yourself a favor and learn to be more professional.

Conservative/ liberal leanings do matter for clerkships, but it probably won't matter from SMU much.

Finally, the answer is the same at most every school-- 90% of faculty will be liberal. Don't go to law school if you are looking for ideological diversity.
Last edited by TaipeiMort on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sky

Postby Sky » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:56 am

Are your per word earnings re-distributed amongst the Collective?

Go worship a statue of Mao.

Sky

Postby Sky » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:15 am

Dear Comrades of the Mao Collective:

What professional language from such fine scholars.

One is inclined to comment on the validity of preceding arguments, were one able to find any statements constituting arguments.

Yours Truly,

The Spirit of George Washington

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:31 am

Sky wrote:Dear Comrades of the Mao Collective:

What professional language from such fine scholars.

One is inclined to comment on the validity of preceding arguments, were one able to find any statements constituting arguments.

Yours Truly,

The Spirit of George Washington

Stop embarrassing conservatives. I can't wait until libertarians pick the bones off the carcass of the current reactionary bunker conservatives.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:39 am

patrickd139 wrote:
Devlin wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Would read again.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:50 am

Chapman, Liberty, and Regents, the latter two especially, are pretty conservative. I highly recommend any one of them -- in any other scenario, I'd say it's better to choke on your own vomit than to go to any of these schools, but you're clearly in a unique situation because you don't want to handle anything outside your conservative bubble.

The right law school will give you 3-4 more years to do just that.

HTH.

Sky

Postby Sky » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:52 am

How quickly we go from "it doesn't matter" to "the carcass of conservatives."

Question: Does SMU lean more liberal or more conservative?

Shortcut:

--How dare you ask this question?
To paraphrase the law school gatekeepers:
-- It "doesn't matter". Conservative or liberal leanings are "completely irrelevant"
-- Profanity followed by "you're unprofessional"
--It "makes no difference" but "If conservatives are going to be there, I'm glad I'm not" (Wait a minute, what happened to "it's irrelevant"?)
--It's irrelevant, but in the unfortunate event that you are conservative, don't go to law school at all. (Translation: it does matter. We, the Collective, don't want you. This is our turf. Go away.)
-- It's irrelevant but if you really insist on getting an answer, pretty much all law school profs are "90% liberal" so don't even think about attending law school.
--"Picking the bones off the carcass of conservatives"

So much for it being irrelevant and facts being facts.

Qian Jin Comrades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6icFnCSF2yA

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:36 am

Sky wrote:How quickly we go from "it doesn't matter" to "the carcass of conservatives."

Question: Does SMU lean more liberal or more conservative?

Shortcut:

-- It "doesn't matter". Conservative or liberal leanings are "completely irrelevant"
--It "makes no difference" but "If conservatives are going to be there, I'm glad I'm not" (Wait a minute, what happened to "it's irrelevant"?)
--It's irrelevant, but in the unfortunate event that you are conservative, don't go to law school at all. (Translation: it does matter. We, the Collective, don't want you. This is our turf. Go away.)
-- It's irrelevant but if you really insist on getting an answer, pretty much all law school profs are "90% liberal" so don't even think about attending law school.

Qian Jin Comrades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6icFnCSF2yA
You are boring and uncreative. Try harder.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:55 am

Sky wrote:Question: Does SMU lean more liberal or more conservative?

Shortcut:

lawls.

It leans more liberal, just like 95% of law schools. Even conservative law schools are more leftward leaning than more conservatives.

I appreciate that you call other applicants "gatekeepers" though. That's a new one.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:15 am

What is this I don't even

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:13 am

I do not think I like this OP.

Kalvano, on the other hand, seems pretty legit.

Barack O'Drama

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:35 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Sky wrote:I'm not paying for liberal indoctrination
Goddamn reality and its liberal bias, amirite?

Have you heard of Liberty University?

+1

Return to “Law School FAQ”