Will T1 Law Schools Get Desperate Towards End of '13 Cycle?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
fourtyacslaw

Will T1 Law Schools Get Desperate Towards End of '13 Cycle?

Postby fourtyacslaw » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:13 pm

If it hasn't already discussed, I'm just curious on peoples thoughts around the applicant pool this year (numbers wise & quality wise.) If anyone has any relevant links please post them.

I haven't seen any specific number info, although LST estimates only 65,000 applicants will be in the pool this year. Also, there has been a downward trend in the number of people actually attending after being accepted. Do you think schools will struggle this year to fill their class with the type of numbers/candidates they're used to, and if so, do you think as a result they will be shelling out increased scholarships or more likely to negotiate later on as a result and 2nd deposit deadlines approach?

Personally, I think this will eventually be seen as the beginning of the end for how law schools are operating, and there is reform ahead. Regardless of what happens it should be interesting to see how schools react.

beautyistruth

Re: Will T1 Law Schools Get Desperate Towards End of '13 Cycle?

Postby beautyistruth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:17 pm

To be honest, I've been baffled by the amounts of holds/waitlists I've encountered this cycle. I'm definitely underperforming my numbers and I don't have as many options as I thought I would. It could be something to do with either my app, or submitting in January, but I'm curious to see how the rest of the cycle plays out as well.

Has anyone else encountered more wait-listing than they counted on?

fourtyacslaw

Postby fourtyacslaw » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:24 pm

beautyistruth wrote:To be honest, I've been baffled by the amounts of holds/waitlists I've encountered this cycle. I'm definitely underperforming my numbers and I don't have as many options as I thought I would. It could be something to do with either my app, or submitting in January, but I'm curious to see how the rest of the cycle plays out as well.

I've had somewhat the opposite experience. I've gotten in where I expected, but have received more aid than I anticipated. Also, the two higher ranked schools I applied to haven't made any sort of decision - waitlist or otherwise - and it's been since January. Not sure if that's normal.

glenndf

Postby glenndf » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:20 am

beautyistruth wrote:To be honest, I've been baffled by the amounts of holds/waitlists I've encountered this cycle. I'm definitely underperforming my numbers and I don't have as many options as I thought I would. It could be something to do with either my app, or submitting in January, but I'm curious to see how the rest of the cycle plays out as well.

Mine has been the exact opposite. I'm over-performing, with wait list offers at T1 schools where law school predictor said I was a deny.

JXander

Postby JXander » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:22 am

glenndf wrote:

Mine has been the exact opposite. I'm over-performing, with wait list offers at T1 schools where law school predictor said I was a deny.

+1

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:52 pm

I also felt like I was underperforming and getting waitlisted places I thought I was a shoo-in, like Duke and UVA, until I got that one special offer (thanks NU!).
But if the thread shows anything right now it's that this cycle is unpredictable. Lots of people overperformed, lots of people underperformed, and I'm sure some people perfectly performed (whatever that is).

I do anticipate a healthy amount of WL movement among the top schools, especially those who have the option to pay sticker or sit-out, a lot will choose to sit-out (the downside is the next guy in line will have to pay sticker). I would suspect splitters will have more options off the WL as schools will remain desperate to keep their lsat numbers up, and there are simply fewer good lsat scores than gpa's. This is all speculation.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:07 pm

fourtyacslaw wrote:If it hasn't already discussed, I'm just curious on peoples thoughts around the applicant pool this year (numbers wise & quality wise.) If anyone has any relevant links please post them.

I haven't seen any specific number info, although LST estimates only 65,000 applicants will be in the pool this year. Also, there has been a downward trend in the number of people actually attending after being accepted. Do you think schools will struggle this year to fill their class with the type of numbers/candidates they're used to, and if so, do you think as a result they will be shelling out increased scholarships or more likely to negotiate later on as a result and 2nd deposit deadlines approach?

Personally, I think this will eventually be seen as the beginning of the end for how law schools are operating, and there is reform ahead. Regardless of what happens it should be interesting to see how schools react.

Yeah my upper-T1 has held on/improved medians f.or the last three years, but I'm guessing they will be forced to shit the bed this year. I hope they surprise me, but I don't see how unless they cut class sizes at least 10%

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm getting exactly what I expected and exactly what LSP predicted.

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:24 pm

fallingup wrote:I'm getting exactly what I expected and exactly what LSP predicted.

lol people still use LSP? I was a straight up Deny at every school where I was waitlisted and a Weak Consider at most others that accepted me. Hell, I got money from a few T20s that LSP said would be an auto-deny.

The phenomenon you might be seeing is that schools ranked 20-50 could be dinging people who they think either won't matriculate anyway or would require an unrealistic scholarship to buy them from higher ranked schools. Schools do a lot to manipulate their LSAT median, but that's not the only metric they can use to their advantage. Yield is definitely a factor, too.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:14 am

Two of your three waitlists are not surprising, given your numbers. Did you write "Why X?" essays. If not, you're almost certainly getting yield-protection treatment from Penn and UVA. Don't know what's going on with GULC, though.

nyjets2090

Postby nyjets2090 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:53 pm

I was accepted off of a couple of waitlists this week. Also, one school I applied to offered me no scholarship money. A week after I withdrew, they're now offering me $25,000/yr...unpredictable cycle to say the least this year, I think schools are really trying to keep their medians.

Rankings were crazy too, there was one school I really wanted to go to but it took a huge dive in the rankings this year. Don't think it'll affect me. On the same note, one school that I was lukewarm about went up big.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm

nyjets2090 wrote:Rankings were crazy too, there was one school I really wanted to go to but it took a huge dive in the rankings this year. Don't think it'll affect me. On the same note, one school that I was lukewarm about went up big.

None of this shit matters.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Yes, and so will applicants.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:12 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:None of this shit matters.

Return to “Law School FAQ”