Teach for America or working for a year and going to LS?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
shayd

Teach for America or working for a year and going to LS?

Postby shayd » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:03 pm

I've been out of school and working for a year (3.72 GPA) and recently got accepted into the TFA NYC 2013 corps. I'm scheduled to take the June 2012 LSAT and originally was going to work another year and then head to law school. However, TFA has thrown me for a loop. My question is whether or not I should postpone law school for a third year and do TFA. I know for a fact (having taught previously) that I don't overly enjoy teaching, but my current job options are nowhere near prestigious (just regular office jobs). Is it worth it to do TFA just for the prestigious resume line and slight admissions boost? I know TFA isn't a game changer when it comes to admissions, but it would be the best soft I have on my resume. Or should I just hunker down and try my damndest to get 175+?

Thanks in advance for any comments :)
Last edited by shayd on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rebexness

Re: Teach for America or working for a year and going to LS?

Postby rebexness » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Isn't TFA a 2 year committment?

shayd

Postby shayd » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:05 pm

rebexness wrote:Isn't TFA a 2 year committment?

Yes it is, sorry I wasn't being clear. I would be 3 years total out of undergrad if I did TFA, and 2 years total out of undergrad if I didn't.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:12 am

From what i have heard, if you really aren't dedicated to the program and super WANT to teach, it can be an awful experience, just due to the stresses.

What about Peace Corps or Americorps?

Is the job you'd take anything to write home about?

togepi

Postby togepi » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:42 am

It is one of the decent softs to have on the resume. Some schools offer extra scholarship to participants of TFA. If you enjoy teaching, I say go for it. You can study on the weekends and do light studying during the week to get the best score you can. I didn't do TFA, but taught ESL in South Korea. Although it can be stressful at times, I found plenty of time to study hard on weekends and also on weekdays for the better part of a year.

Lagunitan

Postby Lagunitan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:13 am

shayd wrote:I've been out of school and working for a year (3.72 GPA) and recently got accepted into the TFA NYC 2013 corps. I'm scheduled to take the June 2012 LSAT and originally was going to work another year and then head to law school. However, TFA has thrown me for a loop. My question is whether or not I should postpone law school for a third year and do TFA. I know for a fact (having taught previously) that I don't overly enjoy teaching, but my current job options are nowhere near prestigious (just regular office jobs). Is it worth it to do TFA just for the prestigious resume line and slight admissions boost? I know TFA isn't a game changer when it comes to admissions, but it would be the best soft I have on my resume. Or should I just hunker down and try my damndest to get 175+?

Your choice is not "doing TFA" or working an office job for a year; it's teaching school or working an office job for a year. If you do not enjoy teaching, you will be in for a miserable two years. Most corps members who come in already loving teaching struggle substantially in TFA; for those who come in just for the resume boost despite not enjoying teaching, the modal outcome is probably quitting.

If you deeply enjoy teaching and are eager to work exhausting hours to help improve the lives of America's less fortunate, I think TFA is one of the most valuable things you can do after college. In your case, I don't think it's a good idea.

(Source: I was a TFA corps members for two years.)

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:34 am

togepi wrote:It is one of the decent softs to have on the resume. Some schools offer extra scholarship to participants of TFA. If you enjoy teaching, I say go for it. You can study on the weekends and do light studying during the week to get the best score you can. I didn't do TFA, but taught ESL in South Korea. Although it can be stressful at times, I found plenty of time to study hard on weekends and also on weekdays for the better part of a year.

I didn't do TFA, but did AmeriCorps. From what I've seen, law schools love students who did TFA. Also, if you ever interview with anyone who did TFA, you'll probably have a leg up on the competition (at least this was my experience with my AmeriCorps job). However, if you don't like teaching, then you probably shouldn't do it.

shayd

Postby shayd » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:55 am

rebexness wrote:From what i have heard, if you really aren't dedicated to the program and super WANT to teach, it can be an awful experience, just due to the stresses.

What about Peace Corps or Americorps?

Is the job you'd take anything to write home about?

I don't want to jump in to either Peace Corps or Americorps at this point just for the resume line. The job would be at a big top national firm, but not as impressive of a soft factor as TFA. And yes, I've heard similar things. I already know that teaching isn't something I really have a passion for, which is what makes me extremely hesitant to accept TFA's offer. On the other hand, I've heard that TFA is a great soft and really helps out with stuff like OCI later on (to be mercenary about it).

shayd

Postby shayd » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:57 am

togepi wrote:It is one of the decent softs to have on the resume. Some schools offer extra scholarship to participants of TFA. If you enjoy teaching, I say go for it. You can study on the weekends and do light studying during the week to get the best score you can. I didn't do TFA, but taught ESL in South Korea. Although it can be stressful at times, I found plenty of time to study hard on weekends and also on weekdays for the better part of a year.

With all due respect, teaching ESL in SK isn't the same as TFA. I taught ESL in SK and, though it had its stressful spots, it never even approached the stratospheric levels of stress and emotion that TFAers I know experience. I'm also about 100% sure I wouldn't be able to handle studying on the weekends or during the week for at least the first year of TFA, but that's alright by me if I can get a decent score in June (here's to hoping).

shayd

Postby shayd » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:02 am

Lagunitan wrote:
shayd wrote:I've been out of school and working for a year (3.72 GPA) and recently got accepted into the TFA NYC 2013 corps. I'm scheduled to take the June 2012 LSAT and originally was going to work another year and then head to law school. However, TFA has thrown me for a loop. My question is whether or not I should postpone law school for a third year and do TFA. I know for a fact (having taught previously) that I don't overly enjoy teaching, but my current job options are nowhere near prestigious (just regular office jobs). Is it worth it to do TFA just for the prestigious resume line and slight admissions boost? I know TFA isn't a game changer when it comes to admissions, but it would be the best soft I have on my resume. Or should I just hunker down and try my damndest to get 175+?

Your choice is not "doing TFA" or working an office job for a year; it's teaching school or working an office job for a year. If you do not enjoy teaching, you will be in for a miserable two years. Most corps members who come in already loving teaching struggle substantially in TFA; for those who come in just for the resume boost despite not enjoying teaching, the modal outcome is probably quitting.

If you deeply enjoy teaching and are eager to work exhausting hours to help improve the lives of America's less fortunate, I think TFA is one of the most valuable things you can do after college. In your case, I don't think it's a good idea.

(Source: I was a TFA corps members for two years.)

Thank you for your honest answer. I certainly agree with TFA's ideals and want to join out of that sense of idealism, but my previous experiences with teaching make me hesitate. I don't think teaching is something that makes me happy or satisfied, and it takes the kind of emotional investment I hate to give in work. On the other hand, teaching with TFA is not just a better soft than a regular office job, it is also the kind of opportunity to do good work that I don't want to miss out on. I'm really at this point trying to decide how much personal happiness during the 2 year commitment is worth to me (as melodramatic as that sounds).

shayd

Postby shayd » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:04 am

BullShitWithBravado wrote:

I didn't do TFA, but did AmeriCorps. From what I've seen, law schools love students who did TFA. Also, if you ever interview with anyone who did TFA, you'll probably have a leg up on the competition (at least this was my experience with my AmeriCorps job). However, if you don't like teaching, then you probably shouldn't do it.

Do law schools really love TFA that much? I only ask because, well, there are a lot of TFAers who go into law school. They're not exactly a rare commodity (no offense meant).

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:52 am

shayd wrote:

Do law schools really love TFA that much? I only ask because, well, there are a lot of TFAers who go into law school. They're not exactly a rare commodity (no offense meant).

No, TFA just has higher grade requirements than AmriCorps in most cases IIRC. It's no different than any other soft of working for 2 years between UG and law school. It just happens to be the case that they all have 3.8+ GPAs as well, which most people who work after college don't have.

silenttimer

Postby silenttimer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:20 am

Thanks in advance for any comments :)

What is it with all these ridiculous TFA posts lately? First, as a practicing attorney and TFA alum, people like you should NEVER go into teaching (through TFA or otherwise). Second, there is no such thing as "doing TFA." I'm sick and tire of recent posters asking whether they should do TFA as a resume boost. You're going to be teaching children, not to pad your resume. When I applied and committed to TFA, it was the ONLY thing I thought about doing. After I was accepted, I expended all my energy on how to make myself a better teacher. Rather than posting on law school message boards, I observed veteran teachers at local high schools and middle schools, and read up on teachig pedagogy. If that doesn't excite you, please don't go into teaching.

I find your post extremely offensive, and I blame TFA for recruiting and accepting people like you.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 am

silenttimer wrote:What is it with all these ridiculous TFA posts lately? First, as a practicing attorney and TFA alum, people like you should NEVER go into teaching (through TFA or otherwise). Second, there is no such thing as "doing TFA." I'm sick and tire of recent posters asking whether they should do TFA as a resume boost. You're going to be teaching children, not to pad your resume. When I applied and committed to TFA, it was the ONLY thing I thought about doing. After I was accepted, I expended all my energy on how to make myself a better teacher. Rather than posting on law school message boards, I observed veteran teachers at local high schools and middle schools, and read up on teachig pedagogy. If that doesn't excite you, please don't go into teaching.

I find your post extremely offensive, and I blame TFA for recruiting and accepting people like you.

Holier than thou attitude-------Check
Belittles somebody for committing to 2 years of basically volunteer service for not being done for the "right reasons"-----Check
Acts like teaching is the most noble profession on earth yet chose to not continue teaching---------Check
Gets "offended" at somebody considering giving up two years of their life for community service because that person asked about potential life implications that service might have----------Check

Yup, I can conclude with relative certainty this person did indeed do TFA.

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:42 am

Birdnals wrote:
silenttimer wrote:What is it with all these ridiculous TFA posts lately? First, as a practicing attorney and TFA alum, people like you should NEVER go into teaching (through TFA or otherwise). Second, there is no such thing as "doing TFA." I'm sick and tire of recent posters asking whether they should do TFA as a resume boost. You're going to be teaching children, not to pad your resume. When I applied and committed to TFA, it was the ONLY thing I thought about doing. After I was accepted, I expended all my energy on how to make myself a better teacher. Rather than posting on law school message boards, I observed veteran teachers at local high schools and middle schools, and read up on teachig pedagogy. If that doesn't excite you, please don't go into teaching.

Belittles somebody for committing to 2 years of basically volunteer service for not being done for the "right reasons"-----Check
Acts like teaching is the most noble profession on earth yet chose to not continue teaching---------Check
Gets "offended" at somebody considering giving up two years of their life for community service because that person asked about potential life implications that service might have----------Check

As someone who did TFA but did not drink the kool-aid, I am in tears at this post :lol: :lol: :lol:

silenttimer

Postby silenttimer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:45 am

2013applicant wrote:
Birdnals wrote:

As someone who did TFA but did not drink the kool-aid, I am in tears at this post :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can careless about TFA. I only care about the children whose lives will be affected by this person who has proclaimed, and I quote: "I don't overly enjoy teaching...."

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:54 am

silenttimer wrote:I can careless about TFA. I only care about the children whose lives will be affected by this person who has proclaimed, and I quote: "I don't overly enjoy teaching...."

Do you care about the clients of your lawyer co-workers who "don't overly enjoy being a lawyer"? It's a job, you don't have to passionately love it to be good at it. This is an evidently smart/driven person who is considering working for pennies instead of spending 2 years in a corporate job they assuredly could get just as easily giving under privileged kids a teacher who is actually educated rather than the burnt out community college elementary education majors they are used to teaching them.

Take the stick out of your ass and give real advice instead of being all "I volunteered for better reasons than you volunteered and everybody should know that."

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:55 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:14 am

you taught and didn't like it? What exactly didn't you like? What makes you think that TFA will be easier than your previous teaching commitments?

I'd personally go with the office job.

shayd

Postby shayd » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:50 am

rad lulz wrote:Yo OP, you won't like teaching so don't become a teacher

Also you sound like an insufferable prestige chaser

You should take the office job; maybe it will alter your asinine worldview

I have to say, I can't think of an office job that would make me LESS asinine. As for the prestige chaser bit--I understand why my OP offends you, and sorry if it did, but realistically... Who here ISN'T a prestige chaser? We're voluntarily participating on a message board dedicated to an industry that makes its bones on prestige whoring.

northwood wrote:you taught and didn't like it? What exactly didn't you like? What makes you think that TFA will be easier than your previous teaching commitments?

I'd personally go with the office job.

It's not like I hate children or anything, haha. I just don't think teaching is for me, the same way I don't think banking or medicine or scuba diving is for me. I am under no illusions that TFA will be easier than my previous teaching commitments. I know for a fact it will be much harder, which is why I'm having trouble making a decision. Thanks (sincerely, not snarkily) for your honest opinion.

Birdnals wrote:
shayd wrote:

No, TFA just has higher grade requirements than AmriCorps in most cases IIRC. It's no different than any other soft of working for 2 years between UG and law school. It just happens to be the case that they all have 3.8+ GPAs as well, which most people who work after college don't have.

TFA doesn't really have high grade reqs, per se. My GPA was 3.72 when I applied and I had my acceptance process fast tracked (bypassed the phone interviews). I know TFAers who have been accepted with GPAs much lower than 3.8.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:17 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lido997

Postby Lido997 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:18 pm

shayd wrote:I just don't think teaching is for me, the same way I don't think banking or medicine or scuba diving is for me.

Scuba is for everbody

Return to “Law School FAQ”