how difficult is it to get a deferral? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Lido997

New

how difficult is it to get a deferral?

Post by Lido997 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:36 pm

As the deposit deadlines are beginning to approach I am seriously reconsidering my choice to go to LS because of the massive debt + questionable quality of life even if you do "make it". I have gotten into some decent schools though and feel like my value is most likely peaking so I do not want to through the acceptances out the window. Because of this I was wondering how difficult it is to gain a year long deferral? Additionally, if one is granted does that lock me into attending after the deferral? Does this torpedo any scholarship chances?

unclepete

Bronze

Re: how difficult is it to get a deferral?

Post by unclepete » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:34 pm

Lido997 wrote:As the deposit deadlines are beginning to approach I am seriously reconsidering my choice to go to LS because of the massive debt + questionable quality of life even if you do "make it". I have gotten into some decent schools though and feel like my value is most likely peaking so I do not want to through the acceptances out the window. Because of this I was wondering how difficult it is to gain a year long deferral? Additionally, if one is granted does that lock me into attending after the deferral? Does this torpedo any scholarship chances?
Bump

....anybody?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:38 pm

If there is one thing law school has taught me it is that law school is not that serious. I honestly have no idea, but I would be shocked if it was hard to get a deferral. If they say no just tell them you would like to withdraw and apply when you are ready. They are playing a numbers game for their jobs -- they will probably accept you next year.

Edit: You'll realize when you are a student that you are doing the school much more of a favor than they are doing you. I could learn this shit with a Bloomberg subscription for $500 a month.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:17 am

Lido997 wrote:As the deposit deadlines are beginning to approach I am seriously reconsidering my choice to go to LS because of the massive debt + questionable quality of life even if you do "make it". I have gotten into some decent schools though and feel like my value is most likely peaking so I do not want to through the acceptances out the window. Because of this I was wondering how difficult it is to gain a year long deferral? Additionally, if one is granted does that lock me into attending after the deferral? Does this torpedo any scholarship chances?
There is no standard deferral policy. Some schools grant them automatically, and others evaluate requests on a case-by-case basis. Call the admissions offices and ask about their deferral policies. You might want to think of a reason other than that you're reconsidering attending law school at all, just in case someone asks.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:20 pm

I've heard that most schools are willing to grant referrals with varying expectations with regards to the reason why... I could definitely be wrong, but I've also heard that it's possible that scholarship offerings may not be necessarily deferred.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:28 pm

Your 170 LSAT score isn't going anywhere. I don't think you really should be worried about "throwing your acceptances out the window". The number of law school applicants is probably going to further decline for another year or two before it stabilizes itself out. More and more people are becoming aware of just how big a scam law school has become. I think you'll be fine as far as where you get in if you choose to re-apply.

TheBiggerMediocre

Bronze

Post by TheBiggerMediocre » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:08 pm

don't do it, you will regret it in five years.

Lido997

New

Post by Lido997 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys, I will start making phone calls today to see whats up.
TheBiggerMediocre wrote:don't do it, you will regret it in five years.
Don't defer or dont go to law school?

TheBiggerMediocre

Bronze

Post by TheBiggerMediocre » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:12 pm

Lido997 wrote:Thanks for all the tips guys, I will start making phone calls today to see whats up.
Go now or never think about it again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lido997

New

Post by Lido997 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:19 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote:
Lido997 wrote:Thanks for all the tips guys, I will start making phone calls today to see whats up.

This seems pretty contrary to most advice given on this board, would you mind elaborating?

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Lido997 wrote:
TheBiggerMediocre wrote:

This seems pretty contrary to most advice given on this board, would you mind elaborating?
Just ignore.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”