Practice Areas? (International Law Question)

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
okaygo

Practice Areas? (International Law Question)

Postby okaygo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:55 am

Yes. I know that the general consensus on TLS is that international law is not real. Considering this, is there a way to work in the legalities of contracts of international trade and exportation without actually studying "international law"?

Or does it not even really matter what practice area you are looking into when considering law schools? I really would appreciate some insight on the whole practice area concept because I am completely clueless.

DCDuck

Re: Practice Areas? (International Law Question)

Postby DCDuck » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:00 am

Intended practice area shouldn't drive your law school selection process. Yes, you can work on international trade contracts without studying international law. It's a small field that will primarily be handled by biglaw or foreign firms.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:13 am

DCDuck wrote:Intended practice area shouldn't drive your law school selection process. Yes, you can work on international trade contracts without studying international law. It's a small field that will primarily be handled by biglaw or foreign firms.

I mean, I don't know about that as a rule. For example, if you're interested in tech work in California, Stanford or Berkeley could be better choices than Harvard or maybe even Yale. But yeah, generally I agree.

You can also work in capital markets, which has the potential to put you in a foreign office for a time or for good, and often the work you'll be doing will have cross-border considerations. There's also international project finance, if you're interested in that. For that kind of work, I imagine school ranking trumps any "practice area niche," particularly because it's not the kind of thing you learn in law school.

Docreviewsux

Postby Docreviewsux » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:44 am

okaygo wrote:Yes. I know that the general consensus on TLS is that international law is not real. Considering this, is there a way to work in the legalities of contracts of international trade and exportation without actually studying "international law"?

Or does it not even really matter what practice area you are looking into when considering law schools? I really would appreciate some insight on the whole practice area concept because I am completely clueless.

You are more likely to work in the amazing areas of debt collection and/or crim and/or DUI law.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:37 pm

Well you all definitely cleared that up for me. Thanks for answering both slightly unrelated questions.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:43 pm

piccolittle wrote:
DCDuck wrote:Intended practice area shouldn't drive your law school selection process. Yes, you can work on international trade contracts without studying international law. It's a small field that will primarily be handled by biglaw or foreign firms.

I mean, I don't know about that as a rule. For example, if you're interested in tech work in California, Stanford or Berkeley could be better choices than Harvard or maybe even Yale. But yeah, generally I agree.

This decision is driven by desired location, not desired practice area. One's desired practice area might only exist in significant numbers in one or a few locations, but the school decision is still location focused.

Return to “Law School FAQ”