Now I feel like I HAVE to go to law school. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
soontobelawschooler

New

Now I feel like I HAVE to go to law school.

Post by soontobelawschooler » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:58 am

Last edited by soontobelawschooler on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

badaboom61

Bronze

Re: Now I feel like I HAVE to go to law school.

Post by badaboom61 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:03 am

soontobelawschooler wrote:My mom's sister has just wired a crazy sum of money to my account to congratulate me on... I don't know, my acceptances to law school?

And no, I did not get into HYS. And the money is not just a few hundreds.

The thing is, I am not even sure if I would go to law school this fall. Sure, I got some scholarships to some T20's but I probably could do better next cycle (since I applied late January this year) and I could work and save up in between to minimize debt. But hell, no matter how many times I tell my family that I might not go this year given the economy, it's like they don't even care.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but even my distant family members are really happy to hear about my law school plan that they send me money and stuff, which is making me feel realllllllllllllllly uncomfortable. (I barely know them and plus, isn't the idea of pocket money kind of embarassing for a 24 yr old?) If I decide not to go, what do I do with all these gifts? would they want them back? seriously, it's driving me nuts.
If you feel like you can do better, don't go this year. It's an important enough decision that you shouldn't let your family's excitement dominate the decision.

But don't blow the money; it sounds like a very generous and sincere gift. Put it in a safe investment vehicle and tell them you will use it when you do enroll in law school to pay your tuition and expenses. If they want it back, give it back.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:53 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
soontobelawschooler wrote:My mom's sister has just wired a crazy sum of money to my account to congratulate me on... I don't know, my acceptances to law school?

The thing is, I am not even sure if I would go to law school this fall. Sure, I got some scholarships to some T20's but I probably could do better next cycle (since I applied late January this year) and I could work and save up in between to minimize debt. But hell, no matter how many times I tell my family that I might not go this year given the economy, it's like they don't even care.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but even my distant family members are really happy to hear about my law school plan that they send me money and stuff, which is making me feel realllllllllllllllly uncomfortable. (I barely know them and plus, isn't the idea of pocket money kind of embarassing for a 24 yr old?) If I decide not to go, what do I do with all these gifts? would they want them back? seriously, it's driving me nuts.
If you feel like you can do better, don't go this year. It's an important enough decision that you shouldn't let your family's excitement dominate the decision.

But don't blow the money; it sounds like a very generous and sincere gift. Put it in a safe investment vehicle and tell them you will use it when you do enroll in law school to pay your tuition and expenses. If they want it back, give it back.
This. If you decide it is in your best interest to wait another year, please do that. This is an important decision that will have a major impact on your future, so don't let family pressure force you to make a bad decision. That being said, I'd recommend being very thankful and appreciative toward those who have given you money, and you should definitely keep the money stashed away. I doubt they would want it back, but even if they did, you wouldn't have spent it this way.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:57 pm

What the hell kind of family sends money to nephews for getting accepted to law school?

jvincent11

Bronze

Post by jvincent11 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:59 pm

Not sure how much better you can do with your stats than scholarships to T20s. You are below both medians for every T14.

I would deposit at your best option AND retake in June because if you improve by 2 points or more it would be worth it to wait until next cycle, maybe even 1 point also

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jwinaz

Bronze

Post by jwinaz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:01 pm

Well, first, congrats on your acceptances.

I do wonder, however, if the relatives giving you money may have had any ulterior motives? I don't mean this to be offensive, but it was the one of the first things that popped into my mind. So hopefully you'll take this with an open mind. How close are you to this person and have they ever done such a thing like this in the past? Is the person well off?

I do recognize that this may have been a completely innocuous gesture and a sign of love and support for you. But, it did sound a little bit odd and makes me wonder if they were possibly giving you a "gift" in hopes that you may "repay" them in the future after having a successful career in law (in which many people just assume you'll be rich).

It happens with athletes who turn pro or even simplyy just go to college with the potential to turn pro. You often hear of stories of how people they hadn't heard of before would just show up and offer them things ... and it's maybe not unlike how long lost relatives and friends of lottery winners suddenly show up and want to be "friends" again.

Now, I'm not saying this is what's happening here, but just suggesting that you be careful.

But as to your original concern, only you and you alone are responsible for the choice to attend law school. It's going to be your future and investment on the line and no one else's. So, I say just ignore the potential influence of others (you can still be polite to them) and make your own decision. Good luck on it all!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:17 pm

jvincent11 wrote:Not sure how much better you can do with your stats than scholarships to T20s. You are below both medians for every T14.

I would deposit at your best option AND retake in June because if you improve by 2 points or more it would be worth it to wait until next cycle, maybe even 1 point also
This is crazy. CRAZY. Don't waste your money depositing on a school you don't even intend to attend. And don't go to a T20, the job options are shit.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:19 pm

Offer to give the money back. Explain that while you appreciate the gift, waiting a year could be the difference in up to tens of thousands of dollars of scholarship money. Who knows, maybe she'll let you keep it anyways.

SouthernSoul

New

Post by SouthernSoul » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:25 pm

ironbmike wrote:What the hell kind of family sends money to nephews for getting accepted to law school?
The awesome kind.

I wish someone sent me money for getting accepted into law school. Well... maybe before I started it would have been more useful paying all those application fees.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

arkgawilson

Bronze

Post by arkgawilson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:05 am

john7234797 wrote:

Offer to give the money back. Explain that while you appreciate the gift, waiting a year could be the difference in up to tens of thousands of dollars of scholarship money. Who knows, maybe she'll let you keep it anyways.
john7234797 wrote:

ironbmike wrote:What the hell kind of family sends money to nephews for getting accepted to law school?

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:13 am

SouthernSoul wrote:
The awesome kind.

I wish someone sent me money for getting accepted into law school. Well... maybe before I started it would have been more useful paying all those application fees.

+1

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:16 pm

I am wondering how different next cycle will be, and if schools will be as generous and accepting to lower numbers. I received a full tuition scholarship (no stips) at a school that I am exactly at median and between 25 percentile and median for GPA. I'm assuming I'm not am not a special snowflake and this is a product of the cycle. My softs are decent with two years of AmeriCorps and a long history of public service (for reference the school is between 20-30).

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:56 am

JDndMSW wrote:I am wondering how different next cycle will be, and if schools will be as generous and accepting to lower numbers. I received a full tuition scholarship (no stips) at a school that I am exactly at median and between 25 percentile and median for GPA. I'm assuming I'm not am not a special snowflake and this is a product of the cycle. My softs are decent with two years of AmeriCorps and a long history of public service (for reference the school is between 20-30).
# of February lsat takers declined and word continues to spread with more and more people becoming aware of how big a scam law school is. Smart kids with 170s are realizing they can look for other options. I wouldn't expect next cycle to be too different in terms of where you're accepted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:57 am

No one, in the history of the planet, has ever been forced to go to law school. If you feel like you have to go, then figure out what's wrong, because something's likely out of whack.

GL!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:01 pm

For some families, especially immigrant or working class families, the idea of "a lawyer in the family" is a BFD. (Note that they think getting into law school = lawyer).
SteelPenguin wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

This. If you decide it is in your best interest to wait another year, please do that. This is an important decision that will have a major impact on your future, so don't let family pressure force you to make a bad decision. That being said, I'd recommend being very thankful and appreciative toward those who have given you money, and you should definitely keep the money stashed away. I doubt they would want it back, but even if they did, you wouldn't have spent it this way.

TheBiggerMediocre

Bronze

Post by TheBiggerMediocre » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:09 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
For some families, especially immigrant or working class families, the idea of "a lawyer in the family" is a BFD. (Note that they think getting into law school = lawyer).
SteelPenguin wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

Yeah i'm familiar with that. But they won't give me any money or other support.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”