How's the camaraderie in law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Junebugman

How's the camaraderie in law school?

Postby Junebugman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:34 am

I've heard stories about lawyers who have been friends for 30+ years because they attended the same law school. The interesting thing is that I more commonly hear this from lawyers than people who went to college? Why exactly is that? As a junior in a UG, I've made a couple of close friends, but most are forgettable since we hang out for one semester and then part ways. Are such tight friendships formed in law school because people are forced to take the same classes and be together?

SteelPenguin

Re: How's the camaraderie in law school?

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:16 am

Junebugman wrote:I've heard stories about lawyers who have been friends for 30+ years because they attended the same law school. The interesting thing is that I more commonly hear this from lawyers than people who went to college? Why exactly is that? As a junior in a UG, I've made a couple of close friends, but most are forgettable since we hang out for one semester and then part ways. Are such tight friendships formed in law school because people are forced to take the same classes and be together?

From what I've heard, the smaller class sizes, study groups, and class sections are probably why this happens. However, overall I'm under the impression that law school is generally FAR more competitive than most undergrad majors, so there is also more conflict between students.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:04 am

Hooah

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:30 am

1L here. This depends very much on the school. My school is much tighter than most (I think it's because we're in the South, and we get civility drilled into our heads early and often by the faculty). You spend an entire year together with most of these people, seeing them day in and day out. This naturally forms bonds (good and bad). After 1L, I suspect they're going to start to break down a bit, but I haven't gotten there yet.

I can honestly say I could go up and start a conversation with anyone in my section, and we'd both have a good time. Just out of the blue.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:48 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
Junebugman wrote:I've heard stories about lawyers who have been friends for 30+ years because they attended the same law school. The interesting thing is that I more commonly hear this from lawyers than people who went to college? Why exactly is that? As a junior in a UG, I've made a couple of close friends, but most are forgettable since we hang out for one semester and then part ways. Are such tight friendships formed in law school because people are forced to take the same classes and be together?

From what I've heard, the smaller class sizes, study groups, and class sections are probably why this happens. However, overall I'm under the impression that law school is generally FAR more competitive than most undergrad majors, so there is also more conflict between students.

Yeah this is seriously overstated. At least at my school, there is ZERO competitiveness.

Classes tend to be much smaller than in undergrad (~300-400 is a big law school class) and everyone is working hard. Camaraderie comes quickly.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:54 pm

Should have pledged a fraternity or done some campus activities bro

hoogs23

Postby hoogs23 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:57 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Should have pledged a fraternity or done some campus activities bro

Frat Starsssss

Return to “Law School FAQ”