Mods: PLEASE DELETE :) Thanks!

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hopingtogetin
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:59 am

Mods: PLEASE DELETE :) Thanks!

Postby hopingtogetin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Possibly a strange question, but I was just curious if there were any particular college classes current students or anyone else thinks would be useful to have in one's wheelhouse before attending law school? I have some time and opportunity to take some cheap classes this summer if I want to before I go to law school.

Would economics or statistics, or anything else, be something useful to someone attending law school? Obviously I know writing, but as a liberal arts major, that's the one skill I do have!!

Thanks
Last edited by hopingtogetin on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby txdude45 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:15 pm

hopingtogetin wrote:Possibly a strange question, but I was just curious if there were any particular college classes current students or anyone else thinks would be useful to have in one's wheelhouse before attending law school? I have some time and opportunity to take some cheap classes this summer if I want to before I go to law school.

Would economics or statistics, or anything else, be something useful to someone attending law school? Obviously I know writing, but as a liberal arts major, that's the one skill I do have!!

Thanks


If you can get a class taught by a legal heavy hitter academic it may be worth your time, but I doubt they teach summer classes. It may, or may not give you a leg up, but 1) you don't want to be the guy in class who keeps saying "well, this past summer in my con law class" 2) you're going to have to relearn it anyway.

That being said, take an Econ class. I think that every person in America should be forced to take at least macro before they're allowed to graduate college. It probably won't help you in law school, but being economically literate has never hurt anyone.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby rad lulz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Family financial planning down at the community center so you can see how stupid of an idea law skool is

hopingtogetin
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:59 am

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby hopingtogetin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:21 pm

rad lulz wrote:Family financial planning down at the community center so you can see how stupid of an idea law skool is


I understand your opinion, but that seemed a little rude.

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby txdude45 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:27 pm

hopingtogetin wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Family financial planning down at the community center so you can see how stupid of an idea law skool is


I understand your opinion, but that seemed a little rude.


You haven't been around here for long, have you?

User avatar
arkgawilson
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby arkgawilson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:41 pm

txdude45 wrote:
hopingtogetin wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Family financial planning down at the community center so you can see how stupid of an idea law skool is


I understand your opinion, but that seemed a little rude.


You haven't been around here for long, have you?


lolz.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:03 pm

Yeah, radlulz is a douche.

There is no class that can help you with law school. That includes things that claim they are "prelaw."

Brixton
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby Brixton » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Yeah, radlulz is a douche.

There is no class that can help you with law school. That includes things that claim they are "prelaw."


I'm just going to pretend that we can all get along on here.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby TripTrip » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Brixton wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:Yeah, radlulz is a douche.

There is no class that can help you with law school. That includes things that claim they are "prelaw."


I'm just going to pretend that we can all get along on here.

If everyone always got along, we wouldn't need lawyers.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19668
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby dailygrind » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:13 pm

Basic knowledge of econ is useful. Tons of concepts have a foundation in microeconomics or game theory. The level of sophistication isn't very high though. If it were incredibly sophisticated, it probably wouldn't gain much traction with most practicing lawyers.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby spleenworship » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:17 pm

Logic classes. Econ. Journalism writing classes (because they tend to be direct and to the point). Sociology, Political Science, and U.S. History classes are all useful too.

But, as others have said, it basically doesn't matter what you take as long as you get a good GPA.


ETA: It really tells you something when a generally "Liberal Arts" degree is probably the most useful. LOL.

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13806
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby star fox » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:24 pm

rad lulz wrote:Family financial planning down at the community center so you can see how stupid of an idea law skool is


lol, +1

User avatar
UnfrozenCaveman
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:28 pm

Some sort of intro to the legal system and symbolic logic may be helpful but by no means necessary. I really feel like the thing undergrads need is to learn logic/how to recognize weak arguments...

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby guano » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:58 pm

Take personal finance classes, so that if you end up making money, you know what to do with it, and because it helps if you go into transactional practice

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:17 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Yeah, radlulz is a douche.

There is no class that can help you with law school. That includes things that claim they are "prelaw."



Says a dood name Scotusnerd attending a TTT.

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby TaipeiMort » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Well, are you going to a T14 school, are you going to a regional school with an actual chance at a market paying job, or are you going to a lower-ranked school?

The answer to this question will impact which classes I recommend.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Says a dood name Scotusnerd attending a TTT.


Image

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:45 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Says a dood name Scotusnerd attending a TTT.


Image


How witty bro.

hopingtogetin
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:59 am

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby hopingtogetin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:02 am

TaipeiMort wrote:Well, are you going to a T14 school, are you going to a regional school with an actual chance at a market paying job, or are you going to a lower-ranked school?

The answer to this question will impact which classes I recommend.


I'm going to what I guess you would call a regional school, but it's within the top thirty so it's not a TTT or anything.

Thanks to those that have responded! I may consider taking econ over the summer-I never took it in college or high school so from what you guys suggested, it sounds like it could help.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:38 am

hopingtogetin wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Well, are you going to a T14 school, are you going to a regional school with an actual chance at a market paying job, or are you going to a lower-ranked school?

The answer to this question will impact which classes I recommend.


I'm going to what I guess you would call a regional school, but it's within the top thirty so it's not a TTT or anything.

Thanks to those that have responded! I may consider taking econ over the summer-I never took it in college or high school so from what you guys suggested, it sounds like it could help.

Top 30 doesn't mean anything

Quite a few of those schools have employment stats that look like TTTs

hopingtogetin
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:59 am

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby hopingtogetin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:28 pm

rad lulz wrote:Top 30 doesn't mean anything

Quite a few of those schools have employment stats that look like TTTs


Yes, I know that it is not T14 or anything, but I just wanted to try and answer the other person's question because regional schools can range from #20 to #120 so that while I am aware ratings above the T14 don't really make a difference, there is probably at least a minor difference between a school in the mid twenties to one in the mid one hundred twenties. But I'm not trying to make a T30 sound like a special snowflake school.

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby magp90 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:46 pm

I don't know how much this ultimately prepares you for anything, but a lot of schools offer Constitutional Law classes as part of a polisci or philosophy program. It at least exposes you to certain issues and language that may come up, but it probably won't give you a measurable head-start.

eric922
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby eric922 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:07 pm

magp90 wrote:I don't know how much this ultimately prepares you for anything, but a lot of schools offer Constitutional Law classes as part of a polisci or philosophy program. It at least exposes you to certain issues and language that may come up, but it probably won't give you a measurable head-start.

I took two semesters of Con Law and while I'm sure I didn't learn enough to make a difference in law school, it did expose me to the law and help me decide if I would even like learning that kind of material. I also had a great professor who practiced at a big firm in Atlanta who was always willing to meet in his office hours to talk about law school or a legal career. I'd say undergrad courses can help you by teaching you how to read and brief cases, get you used to being called on in class and the essay style tests of law school, but don't expect it to give you headstart in law school.

hopingtogetin
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:59 am

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby hopingtogetin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:43 pm

.
Last edited by hopingtogetin on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: "Pre-requisite" classes to law school?

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:12 pm

if you take an accounting course you may not have to take bullshit accounting for lawyers if you're trying to do transactional stuff




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest