does legal work before law school help w/ oci? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
resilience99

Bronze

does legal work before law school help w/ oci?

Post by resilience99 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:29 pm

Last edited by resilience99 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lincoln

Silver

Re: does legal work before law school help w/ oci?

Post by Lincoln » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Depends on the job. Did you copy stuff and get coffee for a solo practitioner? Doubt it'll make a difference. Were you an accountant who worked as a consultant to tax litigators? I'm sure there are a few firms that would like you have your skills around the office.

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Last edited by resilience99 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:52 pm

resilience99 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:Depends on the job. Did you copy stuff and get coffee for a solo practitioner? Doubt it'll make a difference. Were you an accountant who worked as a consultant to tax litigators? I'm sure there are a few firms that would like you have your skills around the office.
worked with in-house health and labor law
Then just continue to network with those workers after you leave.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:54 pm

resilience99 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:Depends on the job. Did you copy stuff and get coffee for a solo practitioner? Doubt it'll make a difference. Were you an accountant who worked as a consultant to tax litigators? I'm sure there are a few firms that would like you have your skills around the office.
Then assuming you're applying somewhere where the skills you gained would be an asset, sure it will likely be helpful. For example, I worked in a field that isn't legal, per se, but attorneys in a specific major practice group often dealt with my previous employer in an indirect way. (Sorry for the generalities, but I don't want to out myself.) It seems like that experience was more interesting to top firms, possibly because they tend to work on more controversial deals where what I did may actually be helpful.

Also, as per BearsGrl, definitely keep in touch with your former supervisors and colleagues.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:49 am

MAHamlin

Bronze

Post by MAHamlin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:52 am

resilience99 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
resilience99 wrote:
Then assuming you're applying somewhere where the skills you gained would be an asset, sure it will likely be helpful. For example, I worked in a field that isn't legal, per se, but attorneys in a specific major practice group often dealt with my previous employer in an indirect way. (Sorry for the generalities, but I don't want to out myself.) It seems like that experience was more interesting to top firms, possibly because they tend to work on more controversial deals where what I did may actually be helpful.

Also, as per BearsGrl, definitely keep in touch with your former supervisors and colleagues.
This might sound funny but, how do you keep in touch for 3-4 years without really seeing them. just send random emails? drop-in (although that is awkward)?
I've used Facebook to send quick catchups. Also, I don't see anything awkward about dropping in when you're in the area. I try to make a habit of it. If announced visits seem weird, shoot them an email saying you'll be in town on a certain day and would love to catch up over lunch. Even sending Christmas cards will keep their memory of you more fresh. You could also forward them a news article you've recently come across and attach a note about how it reminded you of them or ask for their take on it. Look into joining organizations they attend or are affiliated with and consider becoming a member or attending meetings/events. It's honestly not that hard.

arkgawilson

Bronze

Post by arkgawilson » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:01 am

resilience99 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
resilience99 wrote:

This might sound funny but, how do you keep in touch for 3-4 years without really seeing them. just send random emails? drop-in (although that is awkward)?

Either really. I've stayed in contact with many former supervisors through Facebook and e-mail (more for those who were academic in nature). It's really about keeping the network open.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”